Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Yaesu FT-990 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-990
Yaesu FT-990 Reviews: 137 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1995 ac 1795 dc
Description: Yaesu FT-990
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/yaesu.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-990.

W4ZFL Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2013 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic built in antenna tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this FT-990 new a number of years ago and have had little trouble with it. A meter light burned out and this year my main tuning dial and memories went out. Burghardt Radio Repair repaired it. (highly recommended)

The antenna tuner really impresses me. My Mosley RV-4C trap vertical has a bad trap on 40 meters, with a bad 40 meter trap and an infinite SWR. With the tuner one night I made a contact on 40 meters with Italy and got a good signal report. It will also tune my 15 meter beam on 17 and 10 meters. This would be impossible with my Yaesu FT-450D. I also love the simplicity of this rig with no confusing menus, ease in adjusting the keyer speed, and good fast break-in c.w. The large smooth tuning knob is nice4 too.

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2013 19:45 Send this review to a friend
Still a newbie!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Although I have only had the 990 in the shack for about a week, I can tell it is here to stay. It doesn't have the rich audio that my 940 had, but it's pretty close. I got the AC/DC model with all filters and 1.3 ROM and it performed admirably in the ARRL CW test. The narrow filters and digital filter work great together. I like the idea of the plug in boards, makes it very easy to work on it need be. Reminds me of the old FT107 I had years ago. Mine does has the hiss mentioned in other reviews, but I had a filter on the way and will incorporate the mod. Only thing I can say I miss is the TX monitor. It's very handy for working on your audio, but unfortunately they skipped it on the 990. I've been getting good audio reports with my Behringer XM8500 mic so I'm a happy camper.

IV3IFY Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2013 12:20 Send this review to a friend
better after jack's mod.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I would have given 4.8/5 because the rig is not perfect but I could't and 4 is not enough so I say 5. I bought a used FT-990 from ebay U.S.A. and I must admit I have been very lucky to get a very clean one and like new rig. I was just looking for a non dsp and not very expensive rig with at least a 500Hz cw filter and found this one. Mine is an AC/DC model with built-in power supply and 1.3 rom ver. so no problems with CAT and HRD or similar sw. The radio is very easy to operate and the only thing I would like to have is an audio monitor but there are not many knobs to move or menues anyway. The antenna tuner works fine and no problems on tx. Cw operation is very good and the scaf filter sometimes is very useful for very close stations. I do not like the cw break-in because the relay cuts a bit the note but I don't usually use it. The ext rx or ant on the back is useful to connect an sdr rx to share the same antenna and syncronised via CAT. The ssb audio is warm but the only bad thing I discovered was the IF hiss that is mentioned in many articles and also in some reviews. I googled many times to find a solution without using the scaf filter and finally I found the KE4ID mod. by Jack on http://crystalradio.us/projects and I think He solved the question. All in all very good and nice looking rig but better with the easy mod. that I recommend.
73's IV3IFY Dino

F4DZG Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2012 08:29 Send this review to a friend
The real Mc COY !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After searching for a long time for a FT1000D, i finaly gave up due to the rarity and the price of this fine rig. Then i start to read and ask about it's litlle brother, the FT990. I recently grab a clean one, loaded with filters at a bargain price. I understand now why some guys own one for years and keep this rig, or they sell it to buy new gear, then blame therselves and try to find one again... This rig is awesome, and believe me i own an IC756pro for years which i consider to be a very fine rig too. It's a joy to operate it as well as to look at it in front of you. built like a tank, no cheap plastic here, well balanced VFO feeling, amazing audio an receiver. This rig is a keeper and mine found a new home, if you have opportunity to buy a clean one at a fair price, grab it ! You'll not regret !

ZS5J Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2012 03:07 Send this review to a friend
Classic rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Every now and again, a product comes out that is almost perfect. The FT-990 AC/DC is one such rig. You only need to take the covers off the top of the rig, to see what I am talking about. If you spin the large silky smooth VFO knob you will know what I mean. The fit and finish of the rig is top class - no cheap plastic is used here.

Performance is stellar - the receiver is a delight to listen to, and very responsive. I have newer and more expensive rigs, but love using this one. There is only one thing I would like on this rig, and that is a 'monitor' button, to monitor outgoing audio.

If Yaesu was still producing this rig, I would buy a second new one tomorrow.

John, ZS5J

K3HVG Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2012 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Finest Kind!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently divested my FT-990AC and acquired a second FT-1000D. The'1000D is the ONLY rig I would give up the '990 for. Although Burghardt did have to do a final replacement for me after many years of perfect ops, I won;t hold it against the rig. Who knows what happened? I used the '990 next to the '1000D for years and it held its own in all conditions. I regret getting rid of the '990 but not getting another 1000D to replace it. If you can find a clean, working unit... grab it! You will not be disappointed as one so often is with many other "high-end" (sic) equipment. And, you won't have to contribute to the National Debt to do it.

KC6O Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2012 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Much Loved Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
My FT-990 is about the only rig I've had which I like almost as much as my Icom 751A.

It's receiver isn't quite the rock I find the 751A to be, but for a rag-chew rig I can't fault it.

The internal antenna 'tuner' is a nice addition and something I miss in the 751A, but only ever so often.

I can't believe the 4/5 ratings I read by people with no complaints, so I had to offer my review to help offset those.

The FT-990 does have one of the smoother receivers I've used and one major reason I like it for rag-chew.

It's also quite possibly the best looking rig ever made.

One which won't disappoint, and in good used condition still commands a $800-$1000 price.

AE4XL Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2012 03:04 Send this review to a friend
THE GREAT ONE  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a lot of radios over the years and after owning them for a short time I always find myself back on my 990.
I don't know what more can be said or what more anyone could ask of a radio,when I am ready it is always there and ready to go,in all of the years it has never let me down,not once.
I sure wish they would make something like it again.
MY old friend will still be here when they carry me away.

N4GW Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2011 07:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just picked up an FT-990 in mint condition and really like this radio. The receive audio is excellent. It is a pre-DSP based rig, so it has that nice audio that does not have that digital sound. I am also getting unsolicited excellent transmit audio reports. The rig also has greta selectivity. The built-in 2.4k filter works great on SSB and the 500hz one for CW is very pleasant to listen to with no ringing. I am going to add sone INRAD filters soon to see how they improve the selectivity. Overall a very good rig.

VE3NJG Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2011 14:14 Send this review to a friend
Best used big rig out there.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Over the many years like many other hams I bought and sold many many hf rigs. I used the FT-1000D and the Ft-990 when they were both brand new rigs. I also until recently had owned a FT-890AT that I had used since 1993. In more recent times I purchased other rigs including a brand new FT-1000 field as well as many Kenwoods and one Icom. This past einter i found a complete FT-990 package deal. It was virtually N.O.S.
I love this 990. Built like a tank, a great tuner and VFO feel, This examole is absolutely pristine with the MD-1 and SP-6 Good filtering etc. It is in very rare condition. Bottom line. Great Great radio. The field is no better other than the DSP stuff and second receiver. Find one and keep it forever. It is like both the Marantz and JBL of HF value. They don't make them like these anymore. Prove me wrong. !!! No plastic junk either on it to sell too it cheap when new like todays Yaesu's . This is not a throw away rig. LUV it but never leave it.