Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-990 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-990
Yaesu FT-990 Reviews: 132 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1995 ac 1795 dc
Description: Yaesu FT-990
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/yaesu.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-990.

K3HVG Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2012 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Finest Kind!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently divested my FT-990AC and acquired a second FT-1000D. The'1000D is the ONLY rig I would give up the '990 for. Although Burghardt did have to do a final replacement for me after many years of perfect ops, I won;t hold it against the rig. Who knows what happened? I used the '990 next to the '1000D for years and it held its own in all conditions. I regret getting rid of the '990 but not getting another 1000D to replace it. If you can find a clean, working unit... grab it! You will not be disappointed as one so often is with many other "high-end" (sic) equipment. And, you won't have to contribute to the National Debt to do it.

KC6O Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2012 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Much Loved Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
My FT-990 is about the only rig I've had which I like almost as much as my Icom 751A.

It's receiver isn't quite the rock I find the 751A to be, but for a rag-chew rig I can't fault it.

The internal antenna 'tuner' is a nice addition and something I miss in the 751A, but only ever so often.

I can't believe the 4/5 ratings I read by people with no complaints, so I had to offer my review to help offset those.

The FT-990 does have one of the smoother receivers I've used and one major reason I like it for rag-chew.

It's also quite possibly the best looking rig ever made.

One which won't disappoint, and in good used condition still commands a $800-$1000 price.

AE4XL Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2012 03:04 Send this review to a friend
THE GREAT ONE  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a lot of radios over the years and after owning them for a short time I always find myself back on my 990.
I don't know what more can be said or what more anyone could ask of a radio,when I am ready it is always there and ready to go,in all of the years it has never let me down,not once.
I sure wish they would make something like it again.
MY old friend will still be here when they carry me away.

N4GW Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2011 07:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just picked up an FT-990 in mint condition and really like this radio. The receive audio is excellent. It is a pre-DSP based rig, so it has that nice audio that does not have that digital sound. I am also getting unsolicited excellent transmit audio reports. The rig also has greta selectivity. The built-in 2.4k filter works great on SSB and the 500hz one for CW is very pleasant to listen to with no ringing. I am going to add sone INRAD filters soon to see how they improve the selectivity. Overall a very good rig.

VE3NJG Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2011 14:14 Send this review to a friend
Best used big rig out there.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Over the many years like many other hams I bought and sold many many hf rigs. I used the FT-1000D and the Ft-990 when they were both brand new rigs. I also until recently had owned a FT-890AT that I had used since 1993. In more recent times I purchased other rigs including a brand new FT-1000 field as well as many Kenwoods and one Icom. This past einter i found a complete FT-990 package deal. It was virtually N.O.S.
I love this 990. Built like a tank, a great tuner and VFO feel, This examole is absolutely pristine with the MD-1 and SP-6 Good filtering etc. It is in very rare condition. Bottom line. Great Great radio. The field is no better other than the DSP stuff and second receiver. Find one and keep it forever. It is like both the Marantz and JBL of HF value. They don't make them like these anymore. Prove me wrong. !!! No plastic junk either on it to sell too it cheap when new like todays Yaesu's . This is not a throw away rig. LUV it but never leave it.

JP1DJV Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2011 22:01 Send this review to a friend
Much better than IC-7700  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have bought IC-7700 a month ago, sold it and bought FT-990 back again on my desk last week.

I've made A/B comparison with IC-7700 and FT-990 for a week. When the signal was below S2, I couldn't read out what he said in some cases with IC-7700. I've had the same phenomenon on my TS-870 before. Besides 7700's RX audio was terribly UNclear, quite different from 990's. One of the ICOM's flagship model costs me more than $6,500USD , but it didn't work well at all. I still don't know how to describe how I feel about this tragedy. I was mad at myself for being so neatly taken in by ICOM. But now I'm extremely satisfied with FT-990. If you can't believe this report, please do A/B comparison at the same time. The result will tell you the truth.

KA4ETV Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2011 16:40 Send this review to a friend
Best Radio I Own.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The FT 990 is a fantastic radio. Wish I could say the same for Yaesu customer service.

I have owned the 990 for 14 years and have had nothing but great reports.

However, the newer Yaesu units are junk. Also pray that you do not have to deal with anyone at Yaesu with a problem. They are categorically the worst customer service organization on the planet.

KB1QDC Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2011 11:58 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased with Performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This rig was purchased from an Estate for $500.00 us. The radio is a 10 out of 10 is the AC model, and the 1.3 ROM version,came with MD-1 Desk mike,2 MH-1 b8 Handhelds, and a Bencher keyer, also the two 2.4k and 500k filters installed from factory. I have used this radio as primary rig about 6 months and worked 120 DX countries on all bands including Iceland,S Africa Canary islands, Russia and many others. If you can find one in "good" to "great" condition buy it, and use it you will not be displeased.

IW1DFU Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2010 09:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Reciver and Solid RTX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought an used one for 700Euro with all filters fitted inside.
Quite reciver and very simple to use. Great performer also in TX.
The ATU is fast and efficent, also NB work fine.
This is my second rig but the rieciver compared to the first one (FT1000MP MKV)is not far from the top.
I think it is a good value for the price and top performer.
If you'll find one in good conditions do not esitate to buy.

JP1DJV Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2010 07:22 Send this review to a friend
Better than TS-590!?  Time owned: more than 12 months
What I feel about FT-990 is exactly the same as ZL1k mentioned. So far I've had many HF rigs such as TS930-950/850/830,IC781/765,FT-1000mkV/102/107 and others. Recently I bought a TS-590 and had played with it for a month. The audio in and out are very nice.Digital IF filter is quite helpful. The receiver has so low noise floor that I can read out very week signals in even noisy situation. Very easy to operate. Simply, it's 5-pointed best transceiver in the price range. But I've sold it and bought a used FT-990 again. Because, from TS-590, I couldn't feel joy of possession nor joy of operate(control). I was not satisfied with TS-590. This may be like-dislike question. Though FT-990(same as FT-1011 in JA) is getting old and its performance is not as nice as recent high-end models(IC7800,FTDX9000,etc), but I prefer FT-990's clear and NATURAL sound than 590's and I'm sure that it's still worth owing it. If you have never had FT-990, you must try it and you can clearly understand what a nice transceiver it is!