Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond RH205 Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond RH205
Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $$24.95
Description: 2m telescopic HT antenna. 50 watts, BNC connector. 5/8 47.5 fully extended, 1/4 9 retracted
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/

You can write your own review of the Diamond RH205.

VK4IB Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2016 14:33 Send this review to a friend
Worth its weight in Gold  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 of these 5/8's sticks, one I use on an 857D portable setup and one on my VX6 when I'm up in the mountains 70 miles from my local repeaters. I get "5" S-points over my Diamond SH771 out in the field, it's like operating from a base station.

Don't use this antenna if you are the careless type though as it can be easily broken like any telescopic can. Just take care and collapse it from the bottom stage by stage, and if practical remove it from your HT when not in use.

VE2ZMM Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2015 22:32 Send this review to a friend
Very good for SOTA.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have this antenna for some weeks and is very convenient. Not for every day, but when you found difficult situation for a contact. This is a wildcard. It is small and handy in SOTA. For me it works better than the slim jim 300 ohm.

KG6POG Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2005 16:57 Send this review to a friend
Great working HT antena  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've compared this antenna to the stock antenna that came with my HT, and while collapsed works about the same, maybe a little better, but it is a little larger than the original antenna to. But extended it works better than my 2 meter 1/4 wave mag mount. It is too long to use in a car, but if your out exploring/camping or just walking around this antenna will make all the difference in the world.
If you're going to use your HT as a mobile I would suggest one of the many 2 meter antennas available. But again for day trips hiking camping fishing what ever this is the antenna to have with you.

WA2TCE Rating: 2/5 Mar 4, 2004 17:26 Send this review to a friend
Good News/Bad News  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna performs well, much better than the typical stock antenna a fraction of its size. It is however, very easy to break -- I did, without hardly trying. It would be an easy fix, but Diamond does not carry any parts for this antenna.

While performing well gain-wise, when extended it really is too long and stressful on the average HT's antenna connector (this antenna uses a BNC). In addition, it is so tall it is virtually impossible to keep the HT upright on a level surface with it attached. Leaving it attached, but collapsed, made it just the right length to jab me in the side and snap.

My recomendation: if you need the extra gain, go with one of the flex 17" whips (Pryme RD-98, etc.), or build yourself a rollup J-pole.