Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Japan Radio Company ST-3 Help

Reviews Summary for Japan Radio Company ST-3
Japan Radio Company ST-3 Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $77.00 ($69.95 street)
Description: Japan Radio Company ST-3s. Each earpiece, plus the headband, are padded for a luxurious feel. Excellent voice-CW response (20-18000 Hz) for exceptional clarity. Will work nicely with communications receivers. Black. 600 Ohms. With inch mono plug.
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Japan Radio Company ST-3.

N4OI Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2014 05:24 Send this review to a friend
Still Great Cans After 20+ Years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my ST-3 headphones in 1993 as an SWL to go with my Drake R8. In 2002, I got my ham ticket -- and found the ST-3s are even better for pulling weak CW out of the noise. I find them extremely comfortable and have even been known to wear them while leaning back for an afternoon nap, listening to music from the Voice of Greece or BBC Africa Service! Great cans!

N0YXE Rating: 4/5 Aug 7, 2011 13:45 Send this review to a friend
Toasted Ears...  Time owned: more than 12 months
They are comfortable and the sound is good. However, my ears are very hot under the phones. They are great for short periods of time if you hates sweaty ears.

KY6R Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2011 20:14 Send this review to a friend
Great, BUT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm giving these a 5 - but with a caveat. On my K3, their output is pretty seriously lower than with 8 ohm headphones - like my Kenwood HS-5's, which really sound great with the K3.

I went to Radio Shack and bought a small audio transformer and built a little box that now matches the 8 ohm impedance to something "close enough" to these 600 ohm headphones. That made a huge improvement.

These headphones are far more comfortable than the HS-5'sn but these don't ound as "hot" as the HS-5's. BUT - the ST-3 also doesn't have nearly as much noise - so my guess is that these might take some time to appreciate.

Maybe "not as hot" and "much less noise" is the trick. I will do a lot of A - B testing of CW and SSB for the next couple of months and report back. Weak signal CW is of most interest to me.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2011 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic sound  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finally found a pair of JRC headsets. They are VERY comfortable. Although the set I have appears to be older, they are in perfect condition, due to the excellent construction.
As a previous reviewer mentioned, the cord is large compared to 'modern' headsets, but that is easily fixed.
It appears that the 'new' JRC ST-3s are more like a set of MP3 'phones. Keep this in mind when you look for a set.....
have fun!
ron

N6GND Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2011 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Better alternative to stereo phones  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had become increasingly aware of the ear-exhausting effects of the noise transmitted to the ears when using high-quality stereo headphones for listening to CW. I have several pairs of such and they are very comfortable and sensitive.

The noises such headphones pass include frequencies above perhaps 5k hz and below about 250 hz. If your hearing is poor in the higher frequencies then this may not matter, but the frequencies below 250 hz are also a tiring distraction.

The net effect of using ST-3s for me is a sense of a much clearer and smoother sound overall and, as I have mentioned, significantly less tiring.

The ST-3s, despite their relatively higher impedance, have plenty of output when plugged directly into either my K2 or R75.

AE9DX Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2011 16:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Cans  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used many headsets over the years and the sound from these is by far the best. These headphones are made for Ham Radio. I bought mine used on e-bay for around $40.00 and have never used anything else since. They are comfortable and can be worn for extended periods with no fatigue or "head pinch." The only minor complaint is that they would benefit from a soft coiled cord rather than the somewhat stiff straight cord supplied. Well worth the investment!

W6UV Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2010 14:34 Send this review to a friend
20 Years and Still Going Strong!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My ST-3 headphones just passed the 20 year mark and I wouldn't use anything else. I've tried stereo headphones intended for music, but the boomy bass and high frequency hiss quickly gave me headaches.

In addition to sound quality optimized for communications use, the build quality is excellent. From the nearly indestructible ear pads to the solid brass phone plug, these are built like the proverbial brick outhouse.

I'm thinking about buying another set just in case I lose this one.

WDX7DBG Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2008 19:37 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I balked for a while at shelling out for these - $70? When I already had a bunch of cheap headphones laying around that worked...okay? But like the other reviews here say, they really are "the last pair of headphones you'll ever buy".

I'm an SWL, so I spend a lot of time at strange hours trying to dig weak signals out of the noise and static. So headphones are a necessity to keep other members of the house from going insane! I've worn these for hours and hours at a time, and they've always stayed comfortable. Moreover, they perform significantly better than the stock speaker on my receiver, and even a decent external speaker I have hooked up to it.

I've tried to come up with something negative about these and I can't. I'm glad I got 'em.

K4DTC Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2007 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Very nice headphones  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just ordered these headphones based on reviews here at eham. And the price is right! They are very comfortable, and the sound is great. But don't expect anything fancy. I can't even find the brand name on them anywhere. They adjust to my head very well, and are very well made. In the past, headphones sometimes made the edges on my ears hurt. But these have a very light touch and are well padded. So far, I am very pleased with this prodict.

K3PRN Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2006 06:39 Send this review to a friend
Superb Headphones  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the JRC ST-3 for over four years with the Icom R-75 shortwave receiver, the Yaesu MP-1000MP Mark V Field, and the Kenwood TS-570Sg tranceivers. They are extremely comfortable for long periods of usage. I have had them on for over eight hours in SSB contests and they are wonderful. Spend the $70 for the last pair of headphones you will ever need.