Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | m2 2m5wl Help

Reviews Summary for m2 2m5wl
m2 2m5wl Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $219.95
Description: 17 Element 5 wavelength long 144mhz yagi

You can write your own review of the m2 2m5wl.

N0AZZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2012 05:15 Send this review to a friend
A Great 17 Element Yagi  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This antenna replaces a 17B2 which all you had to do was look at the wrong way or had even a small amount of ice on and it was gone. I 5 yrs had to take it down 3 times to repair it because of damage the last time just repaired it and sold.

The M2 2M5WL is a superior design with a better truss system even longer than the 17B2. It has worked extremely well in all modes and holds up to the weather so far with no problems.

For this size of antenna no one can come close to it feature for feature and price and construction.

N0AZZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2012 03:41 Send this review to a friend
A Perfect 10 for This Size Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was a breeze to assemble I can't see why some people had problems unless they couldn't read a tape measure and I love the way it goes together. Assembled it in a little over 1 1/2 hrs but had to break for adult refreshments.

Checked this the first time on a 12' wooden step ladder for VSWR 1:2 at that height was very well pleased. I tied it to a saw horse at the mid point and attached the rope tight then left it sit for a week taking up the slack a little every other day.

Finally cranked the tower down and got a bucket truck top of tower 21', 20' mast equals need help. Removed old 2m yagi and installed new M2 when cranked back up it was at 72' and my 6m yagi below it then my HF 10-40m at 57'.

The true test was when we went inside the VSWR was 1:1 beautiful, couldn't ask for better than that. In the Digital portion of the band where I wanted it to be. To make a long story short it has met all my expectations for weak signal work WSJT and for the first time a little more success at EME than I had before able to work more stations other than the Big Guns around the world. It has been up now for about 2 years now and never a problem but have added a number of grid squares.

I liked this antenna design so much I decided to change out my 6m yagi and go with a larger M2 for it also less wind load and weight.

KI4PQE Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2010 08:15 Send this review to a friend
Good quality, easy assembly.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really did not find the product faults of previous reviews. Parts fit perfect,directions were clear. This is a long antenna,requires lots of room!Elements were not marked, thats what tape measures are for. All parts were correct with none missing. Need to wait 24 hours so the overhead rope will take a set. The feed match was installed as per instructions...1.1 swr 50 ohm Z 0 ohm reactive @ 144.2 Mhz. I down loaded the instruction manual a few days prior to receiving the antenna. The instructions were absorbed,and this was an extremely easy antenna to assemble ! Actually a no brainer.

AH6FC Rating: 4/5 Jun 16, 2007 18:05 Send this review to a friend
A little dissapointing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently I put this yagi up as part of a new QTH project. This is my first dealing with M2 antennas and I was looking forward to working with their product.

This is a big antenna, that is for a vhf antenna, 30+foot boom. The materials and general construction appears ok. The aluminum boom and solid elements do not appear to be particularly robust, however it is a light-weight VHF yagi. Admittedly, I'm probably judging it with HF antennas as a point of reference. Though the antenna demonstrates quite a bit of flexibility, I suspect that is part of the design. The antenna seems to work well, swr is 1.1:1 where I want it on 144 mhz. No adjustments were necessary.

My dissapointment was primarly with the instructions, specifically no parts list. Maybe I just didn't receive one, but it was a bit difficult to know if I had all of the parts without a list. Also, the instructions were basically written as a continous paragraph. Sure, all the information was there, just not real easy to follow.

Additionally, in spite of multiple attempts, I was never able to install the curved "hooks" that connect the truss to the boom. Ultimately I replaced them with stainless steel eye-bolts.

I suppose this is a little issue, but M2 has a reputation for quality. Quality is not just the final product, but the entire process from delivery to operation.

I'm sure this will be a great performer.

KG6WLV Rating: 4/5 May 22, 2007 15:31 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a well-constructed antenna; criticism that it moves in the wind is hard to understand -- it's supposed to, as it has an incredibly small wind resistance, considering its length. The matching section for the driven element is fantastic -- very well constructed. Anybody who has built a Cushcraft VHF antenna -- and I've built three -- will appreciate the quality of this assembly. The only reason this antenna gets a "4" rather than a "5" is that two boom elements did not mate properly and required some extra work to get them to fit.
Other reviewers have made negative comments about the circlips that M2 uses. Once you get used to them, they are not hard to handle at all, and they enable you to replace bent or broken elements with standard 5/16" aluminum rod, something you can't do with a Cushcraft.
How does the antenna play? Mine is 40 feet above ground with what I'd describe as fair terrain -- I'm in a valley surrounded in many directions by 2,000-foot (minimum) mountains. I can work anyone within a 120-mile radius easily. My goal is to increase my elevation and benefit from that, although I can sometimes get interesting contacts by "banking" their signals off our local mountain.
Be prepared to take your time with this antenna. It is HUGE -- 33 feet long. Take your time, construct it properly, and you'll enjoy the project. Be sure to lay it across some notched sawhorses, or it will want to roll around with the heaviest parts lowest, which is a hassle after you install the boom support in the middle of the boom.
Regarding the boom support, it is slightly off-center in the vertical plane, which makes the antenna bow slightly out of a straight line. Not a great design. Be sure to allow sufficient time for the boom support string to relax fully before installing the antenna. By doing this -- mine took two full days to completely stretch -- you'll eliminate the problem of lowering the antenna to tighten the boom support string later.
M2 makes very good antennas, and they offer GREAT deals when you pick up the antenna at the plant in Fresno -- much lower than quoted on their website. They are the way to go if you are serious about weak signal VHF/UHF work.

W5LL Rating: 4/5 Aug 9, 2005 06:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna but needs some quality control in the factory  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As the previous reviewer said, it does take some time to put together. Would be nice if the elements were marked from the factory where they're supposed to go in the boom as most of your time is spent doing math dividing fractions and what not trying to get the elements centered through the boom. Even with these few minor details I would have given it a 5 rating except for one thing. One of the clamps for the truss did not fit. After further inspection I found that the holes were not the right size. The clamp for the rear of the antenna were drilled perfectly however. So whoever built this antenna just mistakenly used the wrong size drill bit to drill the holes for the front truss. No big deal really, I just drilled them out to the correct size BUT this should have been something that was caught in the factory. Antenna was very easy to tune. Follow the instructions for the shorting bar and put them on the ends to start with I think you'll find your SWR will be spot on. I had my antenna about 5' off the ground initially to tie the truss and everything. Decided to take a measurement with my MFJ analyzer and the SWR was about 2:1 at 144.2 but after getting it up on the tower at 70' I was releived that the SWR was now 1.4:1. I'm in EM23 and the first contact was to K5QE in EM31 with a S9 signal report. Not bad for the terrible band conditions that day. Can't wait to catch my first Tropo opening!

G0UWK Rating: 4/5 Mar 5, 2004 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Good Performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Quiet time consuming when putting together
but well worth the effort,
28 countries worked in 6 months and over 900 qso's
on 144mhz ssb,650km working range on average band
conditions
My prefered choice would be 2x10 DL6WU
but the stub mast length is critical to fitting in to my qth,
At 33ft long this baby can give you sleepless nights during storms, Performance is excellent
but mechanically it looks a little on the flimsy side, The mast to boom
clamp arrangement is the worst i have ever seen on any antenna,
i had to check the parts list because initially i thought the wrong plate had been put into the package !

This said mine has just seen it's first british winter out
with gales of upto 75mph

Worked tropo dx on 144mhz at 3000km yet ?
i have with a single 2m5wl yagi, nuf said