Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Vibroplex Iambic Deluxe Help

Reviews Summary for Vibroplex Iambic Deluxe
Vibroplex Iambic Deluxe Reviews: 41 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $189.99
Description: Classic iambic paddle design.

You can write your own review of the Vibroplex Iambic Deluxe.

N3WT Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2010 06:18 Send this review to a friend
Real CW Man's paddle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased a used Vibroplex Iambic Deluxe in excellent condition. This is a very beefy and heavy paddle. Very crisp feel with good rhythem response. A real CW Man's paddle. oooahh! It is not the delicant velvet soft touch of my Begali Signature paddles. I love my Begali paddles , but this Vibroplex is a great change of pace. Looks great too. A real CW paddle and matches my Vibroplex Original Deluxe Bug! A nice combination on the desk.
EA4BB Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2009 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Just wonderful!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I read the eHam reviews about this only once I had ordered... Well, to be true I was a bit concerned with one issue: the "stiffness" reported by some users about the action of the paddles.
I have used some other paddles in the past, particularly the famous Bencher iambic (which I think are wonderful, though not as much as the Vibroplex) so that was kind of my standard in terms of softness.
As Vibroplex indicates, you do need to take your time to adjust your paddles till you get the action you want. I did exactly that, and to me they have now precisely the feeling I was looking for.
The single most important adjustment is that of the pinion screws. They should not be too tight nor too loose. You access this adjustment through two flat screws under the base of the key, and you loosen or tight them up for free operation in their pivots, and then you set the resistance of the paddles through the thumb screws on the upper part of the key that control the tension of the springs. Next you set how much travel you want between the contacts and you are basically ready to go.
Not only the mechanism of this key is extremely accurate; the standards used in the construction of the set are about the best you can think of, and in addition the key is simply beautiful to look at. I just love the contrast of red and chrome, and in that regard I believe we have a little work of Art here; a design I consider already a true classic.
On the technical aspect I love the accuracy I mentioned above, the smoothness of the mechanism and the easiness of adjustments. Everything is sort of evident in this key.
I can go QRQ when I want without other errors than those introduced by myself, or go QRS with equal accuracy.
So I am essentially a happy man with this key, which is indeed the best I have ever used.
EA4BB / Z21BB / ex ST2BF, D2BB, TU5JL, 9Q5BB
WA6ES Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2009 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Never a problem!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used a few Iambics and just wanted to get one of these gems. Well I purchased a used one, got it home and just started sending. The key was set up perfect for me. I cannot afford one of those HI DOLLAR ones, the wife will kill me. This works great for me with a solid firm feel. I do have a few Benchers and just enjoy this one. I do not regret getting it. Now I just have to sell the other keys.
M0AFJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2009 08:36 Send this review to a friend
First Month  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Really pleased with this paddle, quality made, comfortable and very easy to set up and operate. 30WPM seems easy now!
N0NV Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2008 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Pretty  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

There are two ways to evaluate a key which is becoming a classic model. One is through practical usage comparisons with other current brands. The other is through assessment of its appearance and collectibility value. Either factor can create a pride in ownership.

I have two other paddles to compare with the Vibroplex Iambic Deluxe: The Bencher BY-1 and the Begali Simplex. In performance, the Vibroplex Iambic falls between these two. In appearance, it far outweighs the other two.

It's better than Bencher's BY-1 due to the thicker parts that comprise the mechanism. It's a solid feeling which can be reinforced by as much spring tension as could be desired. However, most hams wouldn't want to set these springs as tight as they'll go. The springs fortunately do back off adequately for a normal feel.

In performance, it falls behind the Begali Simplex due to a more complicated setup procedure. It took much trial and error to set the trunnion bearings just right, because tightening the lock screws had an effect on the setting screws. The interactivity between them made for a long procedure. There was also some back and forth when setting the contact gaps. It's a very good thing there are knurled lock nuts to hold each adjustment screw in place. After all was done, I did find the feel to be impressively solid.

The stock finger pieces are a bit too small and a bit too high. Fortunately, I bought the K6JW Conversion finger pieces from Vibroplex, which are much larger and lower. After the conversion, I could actually work the dash side with three fingers at a time, but I only use two.

One thing I cannot verify is how well the key handles higher speeds. My speed capability is up to 25 wpm. If I was a 35+ wpm operator, I suspect the Begali would prove to be better -- that is their reputation. But with my dexterity, I fumble through such speeds with any paddle.

Now for the subjective part. It's pretty. I have the chrome-based deluxe version. If you have a specialty eyeglass cleaning cloth, you'll find it works wonders when removing fingerprints from the chrome. If you don't like the trouble from this, I recommend purchasing the standard version paddle with the black painted base.

--... ...--

Jack - N0NV

K6YE Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2008 06:25 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own the Vibroplex Iambic, Bencher BY-1, and a Brown Brothers BTL.

I have used the Brown Brothers BTL for more than 20 years and like it. I have worked a lot of stations with it and will kepp it as it is my first real iambic.

My dad, K5LDH (SK 2006), bought the Bencher BY1 for me to use at his Texas QTH. It is a very simple iambic that gets the job done. When I needed to replace the fingerpieces (broken in transit to my QTH), Bencher sent a new set at no charge. They get my vote for complete customer satisfaction.

I have owned the Vibroplex for 3 years and just starting using it. Whoa Nellie!!! It really feels nice and is now el numero uno for me. I especially like the heavy feel as it does not bounce around when running contests. There may be other paddles out there but for me, this baby rules! If you can find one for a good price, latch on. You will not regret it.

Semper Fi,

Tommy - K6YE
KD5MJJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2006 11:25 Send this review to a friend
A n American Winner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I own a number of paddles including the Schurr Profi 2, and Begali Simplex. I recently got a new Vibroplex Iambic.

I set the Vibrolex up per the instructions with close contact spacing. The spring resistance is stiffer than the other paddles listed above as mentioned by others. I have come to appreciate this as a plus feature.

This paddle is the "Rodney Dangerfield" of paddles. It does not get the respect it truly deserves.

The construction and finish are absolutely top notch. It is a precision product. The feel is different than my other paddles.

BUT, it has a quality and sure footed feel that I prefer. It does not feel delicate.

There is a tactile feedback through the arms when the contacts close that is unmistakable. It gives me a confidence in my keying because I know by feel and the sound of key closure where I am in my character formation. The geometry and substantual construction come together to give me a paddle I have come to prefer over the others.

Don't confuse the Vibroplex Iambic as a adaptation of a Vibroplex bug ! This is very modern paddle design that uses heavy but precise components that are perfect. It's performance is first tier.

Besides, it is pretty.

My humble opinion only... 73, Hank, K5ICW
K3EY Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2006 20:37 Send this review to a friend
Old Faithful  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of these chrome jeweled versions years ago. Since that time I went thru almost every paddle you read about on eHam reviews including of course the big dollar ones. A few months back I bought the standard model because I prefer the black base over the chrome but wanted the jewels that the chrome version comes standard with. Vibroplex sold me an upgraded black base with the Jewels installed. I really like this paddle a lot. I agree with the previous reviewer that the spring tension is a "little" tight but not so much that it bothers me and in fact I like it. But, I need to set the spring tension at its least strength to get "The Feel“, for me. The adjustment is easier to set at very close settings than on the Kent, Jones or most other paddles I have owned except for the top end models like Begali and the WBLV22 or Schurr Profi which are easy and fast at very close settings. I like the total feel this paddle gives me with the height of the finger pieces, the lever action and its ratio. Its overall feel comes together just about perfect, "for me". Paddle reviews are a very subjective thing when judging feel because ones feel is as different as the individuals doing the review. You really don't need a $600 paddle to get the job done or make yourself happy. I have found this truth by spending too much money on high-end paddles only to end up selling them off mostly at a loss just to get rid of them. This Vibroplex is priced very fair and for what you get it's my opinion you really can't do a lot better, for the money. And the people at Vibroplex are a real pleasure to deal with, like Betty who bends over backward to make customers happy. Plus they are not located overseas with a language barrier and costly postage and long waits to get what you're after. Great Paddle at a Great Price Made in the Good Ole USA.
W5PEH Rating: 4/5 Oct 29, 2006 19:46 Send this review to a friend
Very Solid, but  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked mine up on Ebay a couple of months ago. The Tension Springs need to have less tension. I have written Vibroplex for help in acquring some springs with less tension. Dont get me wrong, I have to adjust the tension on the stock springs to minimum and I can use it, but there needs to be less tension, alot less in my opinion. I can send with it but it tends to move around alot, probably because of the pressure I have to use due to the spring tension. Put some double sided tape on the feet to keep it in place. Also the chrome job cant be close to the best with all the problems out there with pitting and oxidation etc. Mine has oxidation in a couple of areas. This is a very solid sounding and feeling paddle and is close to getting a 5 from me but not with the spring tension. Very nice mechanical sound while sending. I feel there should have been a much wider tension selection available. I am curious to see how she sends after I get this tension problem resolved. I will consider another review afterwards. Sending feels great except for the tension. Over 18 to 20 wpm and up to 30 wpm tends to get tiresome. Try one out if you can prior to purchase or consider changing the tension springs. I think after I change the springs it is gonna be awesome. Cant wait to see how she does. Nice Solid Paddle. I added the Large Conversion Paddles from Vibroplex which have a nice feel to them compared to the originals. Chrome job could be better. 73 Pete W5PEH
W3DX Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2006 18:50 Send this review to a friend
Functional Art  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been licensed for 33 years, and remain primarily a cw operator. For me "Vibroplex" is synonomous with quality and is still one of the finest keys you can buy.

I've had my Vibroplex for over a decade, and I still think it's a piece of functional art. A real thing of beauty.

I continue to love the solid and precise feel of the key.