Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond X-200N Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond X-200N
Diamond X-200N Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $80
Description: Antenna Type: Colinear Vertical (2*5/8 2m, 4*5/8 70cm) Stated Gain : 6.0dB on 2m, 8.0dB on 70cm Max Power : 200 Watts PEP Length : 2.5m Weight : 1.2Kg Max Wind : 50m/sec Connector : N
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/base2.html

You can write your own review of the Diamond X-200N.

9A7PJT Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2011 09:51 Send this review to a friend
Perfect antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this antenna 10y . in my roof .
In FM 1457/438 mhz - superior , no problem with SWR,
serving up to 200W. PEP and never repaired .
What impressed me most is 21 new DCXX on 2m during sporadic , and my ODX record is 2347km !

DH4SC Rating: 4/5 Mar 12, 2010 11:57 Send this review to a friend
Good vertical, but.....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I Own this vertical for almost 2 years now. And in my 2nd QTH. I always got good results with the X-200N. When there are band openings, I can work repeater-stations up to 180km away in FM mode on UHF.
The construction of this antenna is tough and the materials are very good like all Diamond products.

But the X-200 has 2 problems: The connector in the middle of the antenna should be sealed with neoprene tape or shrink tubings. Water can get through the connector and cause a bad SWR.
Another problem is that I sometimes have strange reflections or phase cancellations on the X-200. I tested a X-50 antenna at the same place where the X-200 is mounted. The X-50 has no problems. It seems that the multiple stacked 5/8 wave antennas like the X-200 are a little too sensitive to reflections etc.
A good antenna at all, but you have to find the right place where to mount it to avoid reflections and phase cancellations.

DL7ISA Rating: 2/5 Nov 18, 2008 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Should be better  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not very well build and needs Help: In the middle there is need of extra silicone to make it Waterproof. On Bottom the Antenna Cable is going through a Tube with a sharp Edge and when Wind is moving back and fort the Cable, the Cable gets damged from that Edge. That Problem is easily solved too, simple use a Rasp to rasp off that Edge. The Reports I had with this Antenna werent good either, compared to a HB9CV. The user Manual was unfortunatly not in English or German but in chinese something, nothing against Chinese but People in Europe or America dont understand Chinese. Forget about the User Manual, for the 100 Euro (about 150 US Dollar) I payed for this simple Vertical Antenna, I had expected a bit higher Quality.

DM7IC Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2004 12:53 Send this review to a friend
Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 1st VHF/UHF Antenna. I never had Problems with that Antenna. No Rain can come into it. It is outside in my Garden on a Tower and does the Job now for about 3 years; Good chance this X200N will be the last Vertical for 2m&70cm I bought.

GM1EXK Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2004 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Great all-rounder duel-band Vertical  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is just like the X-200A but with an N-connector instead of SO239. The 200A version has several reviews so check them if you're interested in the antenna.
I didn't see any point in buying the SO239 version when you're talking UHF the connectors do start to make a difference.

The antenna is simple to build, gives an SWR <1.4 throughout both 2m/70cm. Seems to be well built and has lasted 2 years so far with no problems. The design of the antenna allows the connector to be shielded from the weather so water getting into coax/antenna shouldn't be an issue.

The performance is as expected for a 2*5/8 on 2m and 4*5/8 for 70cm. Seems to have a nice omni-low angle pattern and benefits from being as high as you can get it. I recommend this as an easy to install, well designed good performing Vertical for 2/70. To get a noticeably higher performance vertical you need to be adding quite a few more collinear elements and that starts to make a much longer and therefore less structurally sound vertical.

Watson also sell the same antennas as diamond from the same supplier but typically 10% less. However Diamond have a fuller range and I dont believe they do this model.