Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Vibroplex Blue Racer Deluxe 1940 - 1967 Help

Reviews Summary for Vibroplex Blue Racer Deluxe 1940 - 1967
Vibroplex Blue Racer Deluxe 1940 - 1967 Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $150 - 250 $ on eBay
Description: Vibroplex Blue Racer with chrome base, early 1940's version.
No jewel on the mainframe, but jeweled pivoting arm junctions.
More info: http://www.la.ca.us/frandy/late.html

You can write your own review of the Vibroplex Blue Racer Deluxe 1940 - 1967.

KD0V Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2011 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a 1953 Standard Blue Racer. I put jeweled bearings into it. I can't send or copy fast enough to use it without a BUG tamer. Mine is set for 18 wpm. The spring tensions are all set to minimum, therefore, it does not move around on the desk much. I like a light touch for all my keys, paddles, and bugs. It works very well. I used it on Field Day 2011 along with my K2. A very nice combination. The settings are very stable and the action is very smooth. A great key. Bugs tend to grow on you and especially Blue Racers. If you are interested in using a Bug, you cannot go wrong with a good Blue Racer.

Merlin - KD0V

WP4AOH Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2010 20:05 Send this review to a friend
Built for high speed  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine is a 1962 Blue Racer Deluxe. When properly adjusted, the Blue Racer in the hands of an experienced operator, can be manipulated at speeds higher than 60 wpm with little effort. There are many videos on You Tube in which the Vibroplex keys are poorly adjusted,resulting in irregular code and a lot of effort from the operator. The Blue Racer is no exception, the contact spacing must be kept to a minimumon on the dot and dash contacts. The idea is to send perfect code even at very high speeds. This also applies to the other Vibroplex models. The only thing about the Blue Racer is that it needs to be held by the other hand or fixed to the operating desk somehow or it will move around.It is one of my favorite keys along with the Lightning bug.
I agree with other reviewers pointing out that the new Blue Racer 2000 is not in the same league as the older Racer's.

WP4AOH

AB2CF Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2010 13:32 Send this review to a friend
earlier Racers  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ran a early 90's Original for yrs. Recently got a deal on 3 #4s. A Vibroplex 1919 and 1932 Blue Racer and a 1938 Martin Flash Key version of a #4 all with the "U" damper.
Each has it's own character.
The 1919 wide base is smooth, effortless and can be slowed down to my speed.
The 1932 has a crisper feel and a tad faster than I. She'll be perfect when the speed comes back.
The '38 Martin has a crisp, tactile feel much like my 1937 #6 or '44 Champ.
I keep 4 or 5 bugs hooked up at a time. (it's easier than adjusting one bug to my fingers needs) the 1919, the Flash Key and a '40 Original are always in line. the #4's are not QRS bugs, for that try a Champ.

VE3AKV Rating: 4/5 Nov 14, 2009 15:32 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Bug  Time owned: more than 12 months
I been using nothing but bugs for years. I have a great example of a 1952 Blue Racer in black crinkle finish that is in nearly perfect (as new) condition. It was a surprise purchase in a local hamfest in Kingston, Ontario. I even have the Vibroplex original carrying case with it...and it's nearly 100% too. What a find!

Now...to the bug itself. Way fast, way smooth, way kewl! What more can a Bug Guy ask for. I adjust it and it never changes. It's just a great running CW machine. I'm proud to have it in my collection.

If you find a nice one, grab it quick, you'll love it. If you find a rough one, grab it too, you'll still love it. If you don't - well, send it to me and I'll give it a home ;)

I score this Blue Racer at a 4 overall. Reality check guys, there is no such thing as a 5 unless it's brand new and there's no 0's either. No working bug can be THAT bad except maybe "Any Improved Model X" ;)

73/72
Bob
100% CW

WA6L Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2009 18:01 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful machine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I started out my bug career, such as it is, on a Vibroplex Presentation. But as I learned the quirks of operating and adjusting a bug, I kept hearing other Hams talk about the legendary Blue Racer.

I started researching the web and watching the ads. Then, about a year ago I found a 1964 Blue Racer Deluxe at a very good price.

It took a bit of adjustment (mentally and physically) to send decent code on the Blue Racer. As others have pointed out, it is FAST. I did purchase the Vari-Speed from Vibroplex, and that made a very significant difference. With the vari-speed attached, I can easily slow the bug down to 15 wpm if I need to.

But with all that aside, this is arguably one of the most gorgeous keys ever made. It has the beauty of chrome combined with excellent machining. The smaller size and closer spacing of all the parts makes it look more like the workings of a clock than that of a key.

I don't know that I will ever get good enough sending code to live up to this key. But I sure do enjoy owning it and using it. I hope that some day it will go to another deserving Ham somewhere who will use it and appreciate it as much as I have.

John, WA6L

N6UK Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2008 21:28 Send this review to a friend
This is the key!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine is from 1960 and I have it in use for many years for 25 WPM and up: No maintenance or readjustments required! The most compact Vibroplex bug and at the same time a quite beautiful machine.

W2RDD Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2006 12:09 Send this review to a friend
Great bug  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine a number of years now. To slow it down, I have added every possible weight that would fit the bar. Looks silly, but I think it shoots out about 25 wpm minimum now. Think speed is less important than character and word spacing/timing. Slower ops have no problem copying proper timing and spacing. Try that material sold at Chinamart. Comes in long roll used, I think, to line kitchen cabinets, etc.. Sticks to everything without actually "sticking" Will help keep your bug in place. Better than Velcro which might stain a desk when removed. You cut it to required size. Ask the wife about it. Bug has great rhythm, when you don't have to hold it down.

VE3WMB Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2005 18:55 Send this review to a friend
Simply Beautiful  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine is a 1959 model that I picked up on Ebay a few years back. IMHO it is one of the nicest looking Bugs that Vibroplex ever produced.

It's too fast for me so I use a Bug Tamer purchased from Vibroplex to slow it down to the 18 to 20 WPM range using only a couple of small weights.

Michael VE3WMB

N2XE Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2004 14:43 Send this review to a friend
Quintessence  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine is 1946 vintage. It's fast, very fast. I'd say 30WPM minimum but... it is so very very sweet!

Smooth
Precise
Great eye candy

and it's really sparkly and shiny.

IK0YGJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2004 07:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent, for the real CWer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This key is an unbelievable wonder of precision and beauty.
It is rated from 27 WPM at its slowest speed up to 50+, its smaller base makes it very easy to transport, but also requires the key to be held with the left hand while manipulating.
For the experienced CW enthusiast.