Reviews Categories | Receivers: Commercial/Military/Marine adaptable to ham use | McKay Dymek DR-44 Help

Reviews Summary for McKay Dymek DR-44
McKay Dymek DR-44 Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$2200
Description: Solid state HF receiver

You can write your own review of the McKay Dymek DR-44.

WB6MYL Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2004 23:55 Send this review to a friend
a rare gem  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
You do not hear too much about McKay Dymek receivers; you can mention the name and someone may be quick to correct you that it is Mackay Marine (which is not the case); when this unit became available at a local ham jobber, I did a little research and ended up buying the radio. I was not disappointed; Fred Osterman's book mentions the McKay Dymeks were noted for great audio, and he was right (at least about this model). I actually have the DR-44-6 which has selectable side band and AGC. They were used by the military and FAA. I was very impressed with this radio. This is not an SWL receiver to surf HF; you have to dial in each 10 mc, 1 mc, and .1mc and only a kc knob is adjustable (+ or - 10kc); I have compared this to my reference receiver, the R-9000; no, it is not as sensitive (nothing is, in my opinion) but the audio is very warm and almost tooobey; definitely the most pleasant receiver to listen to (R-390/CV-591 comes very close) among all the menagerie of rigs in the shack. If you want a hi-fi sound to listen to the weekend swap net (or any freq/net that is going to be listened to for a while), think about this line of gear; if anyone has a book or can give me a lead on one, I would appreciate it. Thank you for reading.
Phillip W. Harris, PhD.J.D.P.C.