Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond MR77 2m/70cm Mag Mount Ant. Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond MR77 2m/70cm Mag Mount Ant.
Diamond MR77 2m/70cm Mag Mount Ant. Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: 2m/70cm Antanna with Magnetic Base.
19.5 Inches (0.5m) high, 13 Feet RG58C/U and terminates to a PL-259 plug.
2m = 1/4 Wave, 70cm = 1/2 wave.
Max Power = 70 Watts.
The Diamond MR77SMA is the identical, but terminates to an SMA plug.
1 Year Mfg. Warranty.
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/mr77.pdf

You can write your own review of the Diamond MR77 2m/70cm Mag Mount Ant..

K4EQE Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2015 07:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable Antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have zero complaints about this antenna. I'm currently portable 4 on Long Island N.Y. so i had to find an antenna that i can use for the time being.

I've been using it as a portable antenna on my work truck (Tow Truck) using my IC-80AD. With only 5 watts, DV or analog it works just fine for what i need it for.

KJ6WNS Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2014 10:39 Send this review to a friend
Looks good, works great.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the MR77SMA specifically to use with my FT-60. I don't like stringing adapters together because of loss and excessive strain on the connector, and the SMA screws right to the radio. It can also be attached to a BNC-to-SMA adapter for use on other radios. The RG58C/U coax is very flexible, more so than the RG58A/U coax I've had on other mag-mount antennas. It seems a bit fragile in terms of being fed through car doors, but as they say, don't do that. I run it through the trunk, where there is a big-enough gap between the body panels to avoid pinching. I loop it under the belt clip on the radio to relieve the strain on the connector. My MFJ259 thinks the antenna is a bit long on 2 meters, but still under 2:1 across the entire band. At 146 mhz it reads about 1.6:1. The lowest SWR is actually below 144 mhz. I have no equipment to check the SWR on 440. Considering the dubious reputation of MFJ,(my 259's digital and analog readouts don't always agree with each other, let alone other meters), the decent reputation of Diamond, and the advice of Diamond and the HRO staff not to cut it, I'm leaving it alone. In any case, I have had great results on both 2 meters and 440. There are certain repeaters in southern California where the regulars will jump all over you at the first sign of a poor signal. I have heard none of that. These folks are picky. I like the way this antenna looks. Nice low-sheen finish, very sleek. The magnet sticks like it's welded on, even though it's smaller than other similar models. I considered several other almost identical antennas, from Comet (too expensive and not very good reviews), MFJ, (My first one failed in less than a year), OPEK, (poor reviews), and Ebay specials like Nagoya, (you have no idea what you'll get or if it will work). The Diamond came out on top. Not to mention, it has a 4.7 here on eHam, better than all the rest. If I were to buy any other 2m/70cm antenna package, it would be one with higher gain, and a more permanent, grounded mount. Higher gain and a grounded mount means you'll spend at least $100. The MR77 is a great choice for a handheld. If I were running a dual band mobile like the Yaesu 7900, I would run a more permanent antenna package, but for the ability to switch my HT between cars, the MR77 is ideal.

KK4PLD Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2014 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Definately a step up from a rubber duck on a hand held.

The only thing I would caution is not to feed the coax through a door jamb, you will pinch it and damage it.

Great for temporary installations like car rentals or portable operations.

IZ1GCN Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2013 15:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent antenna, compact, high-performance (given the small size). Ideal for fast installations inside the car. I would recommend the Diamond antenna mr-77.
Roberto, IZ1GCN

KD2CTY Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2013 10:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have gotten great reception reports. I have it sitting on a radaiator in my bedroom. I have reached southern NJ and northern westchester from south manhattan.

9W2GDL Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2013 15:12 Send this review to a friend
high performance antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
good, awesome.. 5 star !

K5ND Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2012 17:30 Send this review to a friend
Very Handy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Works great. Pop it on the top of the car, run the cable through the door, and connect to your HT. No adapters, etc. I use it with an Icom ID-31A into 440 MHz D-Star and Analog repeaters. Works great all over the DFW area.

M0TXP Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2012 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Great little antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought one of these to go with my yaesu ft60 with a battery eliminator (mine is the sma version).
Considering it,s size it realy gets out good,i can ragchew for miles on 5w plus i can store it in the boot when it,s not getting used
What more can i say, just buy it

NG0K Rating: 4/5 Mar 31, 2011 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Good Performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Good performer for local repeater coverage but the base is beginning rust after nine months, thus a 4/5.

G6ATJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2011 02:06 Send this review to a friend
Wow  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Knocks the s*** out of a 5/8s on 2M
Passers by no longer think I'm a CB-er or a taxi

Get one!!