Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond X500HNA Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond X500HNA
Diamond X500HNA Reviews: 11 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $259.99
Description: Heavy duty, high gain repeater antenna
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/

You can write your own review of the Diamond X500HNA.

W1DVZ Rating: 1/5 Dec 2, 2012 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Can't handle power.....!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The ads all say that the X-510HDM (or HNA w/ N connector) handles 330 watts.

So I feed my X510 with *presicely* 330 watts using LMR600UF for the single day that it is has been up. Nothing continuous, just normal chatter on 2m simplex.

It fails, with SWR going to 5:1 after only 20 minutes or so of normal talk.

Have since found some complaints in Google searches about undersized caps being used in various spots, with one reviewer suggesting limiting the input power to 35 watts FM!

Wow, not what I was expecting at all. I will say that it was perfectly flat SWR-wise until the failure.

It's coming down, a Bozak is going up....Sorry Diamond, happy to repost if you'll replace it with a unit that will handle the power printed on the packaging, your ads, the catalogs, etc.

K3ROJ Rating: 3/5 Nov 12, 2011 14:30 Send this review to a friend
Capaicitor Goes Bad  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just a month ago my 500HNA stopped performing with very high SWR on 144 and 440 MHz. I knew what the problem was since it had happened a few years ago. There is a small ceramic capacitor inside the antenna housing that goes bad when too much RF is applied. In my case, I was using it on ATV on the 440 band. Apparently that small capacitor could not take the peak RF voltage when operating 50 watts on Amlitude Modulation ATV. I just replaced the capacitor again and all is well. This antenna has tremendous range for me up about 30 feet on the house roof and can outdo the local repeaters on the 2 and 440 bands.

N8EKT Rating: 1/5 Dec 29, 2010 09:51 Send this review to a friend
poor design  Time owned: more than 12 months
As I N8EKT previously outlined,
if you do the mods I described, the antenna will
last longer and perform better.
HOWEVER, the VERY light weight construction of the newer models has made these antennas a poor choice for repeater use and survival in adverse conditions.
As for N8EKT, I will continue to use the Hustler
line of fiberglass antennas that have held up under decades of repeater service

KF9TA Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2010 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna mounted on a 50' tower for 15 years or so. It has been through all kinds of bad winters and lots of rain storms. In 2006 we had an F2 tornado, the Diamond X500 survived just fine. It still works like the day I bought it. Next year I'm taking down my tower and installing a new one and I will definitely be buying a new Diamond X500 or X510. Good job Diamond.

N2CSA Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2008 07:40 Send this review to a friend
Working perfectly after 2+ years  Time owned: more than 12 months
My X500NHA was put up in June 2006. I followed Diamond's assembly instructions to the letter. I double checked all the internal connections to make sure they were tight. It is mounted at 60' on top of my US Tower crank up monopole. Here at the Jersey Cape we have winter 'Noreasters and Tropical storms in summer which bring 50+ mph gusts. Yes the 500 does bend in high winds, that's why you need to make sure all internal connections are secure. I periodically check the SWR, this hasn't changed since the initial installation. I've used other Diamond and Comet dual band antennas but the 500 has outperformed them all. I use a 2 meter repeater 55 miles away as a benchmark. With other antennas, I wasn't always able to put usable signal into the repeater. With the 500 I am into the repeater all the time.

DZRTRAM Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2008 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Is it possible to be perfect?  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I can't imagine having to do everything N8EKT says. I even put an extension on top of the mast to get it up higher. I run about 75 feet of coax, and this antenna shines like the star it is. I can't imagine any antenna doing a better job. I agree, as to the folks at the local HRO, that this is the best there is for what it is built to do.

WX9DX Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2008 00:04 Send this review to a friend
Just the best made!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just the best made! I've had these up as much as 550 feet and side mounted on towers. Just be sure to heat shrink over the screw together fittings with that type of heat shrink that has the goo in it. Also use an insulated standoff for supporting the middle of the antenna when u side mount this antenna. This stops the signal fade during windy conditions. All in all I can tell you this antenna rates the best for my uses on repeaters and node sites from 150 feet to 550 feet in the air. I even have two up at home in phase for FM voice on my Icom 746 Pro. Also one for my echo link site at my home at 125 feet. Never any problems!!!:) Oh, one more tip, never top mount it on a tall tower!

KC8FZH Rating: 1/5 Dec 31, 2007 06:41 Send this review to a friend
Even with mods has problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the Diamond x500hna antenna for repeater use for over 2yrs, and wish that I had listen to the negatives on the unit.

First of all I would not recommend this antenna for repeater use,or to a friend.
Even if you preform all the mods to the antenna that N8EKT states in his review (which is a honest review) you will still have problems with moisture build up inside this antenna.

The N-connector is at the bottom base of the antenna in a straight line with the center of the antenna. (not on the side like another manufacture)

When the moisture collects inside of the unit then travels down the antenna to the center of the N-connector
Then it runs across the top of the connector to the ground of the connector.
This of course is causing continuity between ground and center.

Even the side seep holes for draining moisture is place higher than the connector so when it rains moisture can be blown into this unit and run directly to the top of the N-connector
The antenna is built better than the "clone look a likes". SWR is set from the factory better on 2 meter than 440.

I have had this antenna for over 2yrs and in that time and had to take it down four times for repair, I have replaced it with a Hustler G6 and with its true gain reading preforms just a good and without the fluctuation in signal strength that you get with the "whipping fishing pole affect" associated with the bigger Diamonds,Opek, ect..

The lower Mounting bracket snap off on a windy day and when a called to get its replaced was told that I would have to buy a complete antenna.

If you are looking for reviews on any antenna please look for the one's that are over 1 year that will give you more of the facts on what an antenna's worth is.

If there is no Winds or Rain, no cold Nights and warm Mornings where you live this could be a antenna for you.
God Bless and Have a Nice Day.

KC4GMY Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2006 14:58 Send this review to a friend
Very high gain antenna that lasts a long time.  Time owned: more than 12 months
These antennas are unbelievably tough and radiate extremely well.

N8EKT Rating: 2/5 May 12, 2005 14:54 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna with mods  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Some years ago I had purchased a x500hna and it was very well made.
However, I recently got a new X500HNA and it is not built as well as previous units.
You MUST disassemble these antennas and solder ALL connections if you want to use this antenna in repeater service.
Mine had multiple loose connections right out of the bag.
I recommend soldering all connections, putting thread lock on the u-bolt set screws and the nuts that clamp the fiberglass sections together.
I also used coax putty to seal the fiberglass joints.
You will also want to dig the rtv from the allen head set screw on the base section and loosen it. Pull the N connector out a couple inches so that you can attach your coax and seal the connection with coax putty.
After pushing it back into position, apply thread lock to the set screw and tighten.
If you don't do this, you will not be able to seal the coax connection due to a lack of clearance.
If you don't want to solder your antenna sections together, you should at least thead lock the two phillips set screws and peel the foam tape from every joint in the antenna.
With this foam strategicaly place over every joint in the antenna, once wet, these foam pieces will almost assure that all the joints will develop corrosion.
After making all of these mods, this antenna should last for years.
Also be cautioned that the total power rating of this antenna is 200 watts PEAK.
This translates to around 70watts continuous duty.