Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | EasyLog Help

Reviews Summary for EasyLog
EasyLog Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $89.54
Description: Advanced logging software for Radio Amateurs
More info: http://www.easylog.com

You can write your own review of the EasyLog.

WA1GS Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2010 11:52 Send this review to a friend
excellent program &support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I tried various logging programs and finally chose EasyLog.I find EasyLog to be the easiest to learn to use.It is very intuitive and provides me with all the functions I need and then some! The tech support provided by Jim Sims(W5RYA)is outstanding! He is the North America distributor of the program. I was having some initial problems with the installation. Jim and I exchanged emails to try to resolve the problem. After a few emails with still no resolution, Jim took it upon himself to telephone me and walk me thru the steps to discover what I was doing wrong. Needless to say, after that phone call the program was up and running. Where else can you get tech support like that!! Get the program, you will not be disappointed.

RFDANNY Rating: 2/5 Jul 28, 2008 12:45 Send this review to a friend
I'm Done  Time owned: more than 12 months
An expensive mistake. This software frequently locks up my Windows XP machine when all other programs run fine. With a little more refinement, this program could one day be the cream of the crop. The current features and instability problems should cause you to pass for now. If it didn't lock up, I would have given it a "4". Try Logger32 for free...it's the current #1 package.

KZ5I Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2008 17:31 Send this review to a friend
Easy and Powerful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just started using Easy Log and for me it is a new experience. Having always been a person that likes to write on a log book this software actually makes me WANT to use my laptop for all my logging.

A great program !

IK2DZN Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2007 13:43 Send this review to a friend
# 1 Logging Software  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using EASYLOG for the last 15 years following all updates in the meantime.

The software is stable and simple, very intuitive yet complete. It's more than a simple logging software: it's an outstandig radio utility suite. In my opinion awards tracking and cluster info are the best I have seen around. Looking forward to testing LOTW integration...

The developers listen to clients and this is another great thing. Please, continue this way.

KI4MFH Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2006 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Best Logging Program  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used EasyLog 5.0 for over 6 months now, and want to pass along my experiences with this program.

First, I hesitate to call it a "logging" program, as if goes far beyond the typical logger. I have tried many different programs - shareware as well as commercial, and this is the best by far.

It is the additional features, such as Internet and Radio DX Clusters (4), CW and Voice Keyers, internal PSK-31 support and rig control that sets EasyLog apart from other programs.

For DXers, the "Running Window" is tops. This window is integrated with the DX Clusters, allowing you to transfer information from a cluster report directly into the Running Window. From the Running Window you can then transfer the information directly to the radio, automatically setting the band and frequency. Basically point and shoot DX.

You can also enter a call directly in the Running Window and the particulars for the operator are displayed: country, name and QTH. It also displays prior QSOs for the call.

Awards Program Management is also integrated into the Running Window. When a call is entered, the status for the country is displayed: never worked, worked or confirmed. The default Running Window tracks DXCC, WAZ, WPX and WAC information.

EasyLog has a QSL module that allows you to create templates for printing either directly to the QSL card, or to labels.

As expected of a commercial program, there is a robust set of back-up and restore tools as well.

Rig Control via RS-232 is simple, and allows software control of band, mode and frequency, as well as split frequency operations.

Support is always a key issue when buying a commercial software package. Support for EasyLog is great. Emails are answered within 1 day or so and actually provide useful solutions. Updates are free and you receive email notification when a new module is available from their website.

Is EasyLog perfect? No, as can be expected. The software is in a constant state of update based upon customer recommendations, which is good!

If I had to identify one shortcoming it would be the set length of data fields. It would be nice to be able to modify the length of stored strings of data.

Overall, when compared to other packages - freeware as well as commercial, EasyLog is tops. Be aware, there is a learning curve as the program performs a large number of different operations. Overall, familiarization with the software comes quickly and it becomes a pleasure to use.

I mainly chase DX, so that is my primary area of concern. The features offered to the DXer are beyond compare. From a voice announcing the call signs of new DX, to transferring the data to the Running Window then the rig can be done in a few seconds. An important consideration for the DX stations drawing a large pile-up.

W4TME Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2006 07:02 Send this review to a friend
It IS one of the Best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to disagree with the anonymous (no name or call provided) posting by SMHAM and say that EL5 IS one of the very best loggers. Loggers are like gloves; they all cover your hand, but some feel much better than others. EL5 is one that wears like fine Italian leather!

I have been using EL5 over the past year or so and the current 5.1.x version of EL5 works great and the updates that come out several times a year shows that they are dedicated to making EL5 even better. I have tried a ALL of the Windows logging programs; free and must pay before you use, and I can say for certain that EL5 is one of the two best "designed for Windows (not a DOS port)" applications I have used. The logging form is intuitive and the "running" mode feature is great for contests or those "mini" pileups that can occur when 6 meters opens up in summer. There are capabilities to list satellite as well as HF QSOs. In addition there is support for tons of different log books so you can organize your operating activities as you wish. Of course, there is integration with logbooks so you can populate your QSOs with name and QTH data.

Some of the absolute best features revolve around the integration with DX clusters. You can define up to four DX cluster sources (both TNC and Internet based) and the spotting capabilities and integration with your rig makes zeroing in on that rare DX station a breeze. The other great feature is the award tracking capabilities. You can easily see what you have worked and find QSOs that you need to use for an award submittal. There are also lots of "plug-ins" for many different awards and the capability to add more.

All of the basic database functions, such as indexing, searching, data imports and exports work great. You have the ability to import and export data in standard ADIF 2.0 format so migrating from one logging program to the other is simple.

There are also some very rich capabilities for QSL management. There is a free form QSL card designer that lets you create your own unique QSL card with QSO information included. Just print as many as you need. Selecting QSOs from the logbook for QSL printing is easy and there are facilities for exporting QSO data to LotW and e-QSL too.

Also the support you get from the EL5 Yahoo discussion group and the great developers in Italy is top notch.

Now, you don't have to take my word for it, you can down load a FULLY functional version (no crippleware) to evaluate for yourself.

-Tim (W4TME)

SMHAM Rating: 4/5 Mar 10, 2006 22:47 Send this review to a friend
Not the very best but close  Time owned: months
No, EasyLog is not "Simply the Best". I have tried almost every logging software available over more than two decades. There is only one piece of software that comes close to ´absolutely perfect´ when you only consider what the software can do and not how it does it, that is DXBase.

EasyLog lacks full IOTA-support in every respect, DXBase has it.

EasyLog lacks support for all available CDROM callboks, DxBase has it.

DXBase lacks support for the major QSL manager lists, DXBase has it.

No other software available can generate reports on your log like DXBase.

However, DXBase is certainly not for the beginner. The database is not hidden. You enter your QSOs directly in the database, not through an entry form. This is most confusing for everyone but the most experienced users. There are some bugs in every release due to the complexity of the software.

If you are a non-native English speaker who can´t excel in English and fully understand advanced database topics in the manual, DXBase is not for you.

Easylog is the second best logging software on the market today. One of my friends, who are not completely fluent in English, use it. I have used the software extensively helping him out. The different language versions, among them Swedish, is of course a big plus for those non-fluent in English. DXBase is only available in English.

The features of EasyLog comes very close to DXBase. It is not a big issue if you don't belong to the serious award hunters, use all kinds of callbook CDROMs etc.

The only big disadvantage in my opinion is the lack of support for the W6GO QSL manager list.
It is probably the most accurate source of QSL manager information today. You can get weekly updates by e-mail. I really appreciate the support for this database in DXBase. My friend miss it in EasyLog as well. Maybe a future feature in EasyLog?

The EasyLog support is much better than for DXBase. You have to download things and change database entries yourself in DXBase. Not so with Easylog. Again, DXBase demands a professional user, EasyLog does not.

If you are a non-native English speaker with less than expert computer knowledge, go for EasyLog.

If you are completely fluent in English and an expert user who can live with a not-so-perfect support, go for DXBase.

Whichever you choose, you will not regret it. They are both excellent pieces of software. Just remember: "There ain't no such thing as the perfect software"

SM0IMJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2005 06:03 Send this review to a friend
New improved release  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi,
EasyLog is continuosly beeing improved.
Over tha last year, a number of features has been added.
The integration between log, DX-cluster, rig control, award checking, etc. is just great.
I have been testing a lot of different logging SW, but this one still hold the top rank in my list.

SM0IMJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2004 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Simply the best  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hi all,
I have tested a whole bunch of different logging/cluster software, both "freeware" and "payware".
EasyLog has completed the task to join log, DX cluster and radio control into a simple to use and stable package. With the additional features included, it's simply the best.

I also know that the development team behind EasyLog is working on the next release.
With the stable and feature rich starting point in version 5.0.0.11, the next version will probably be a real killer.

WB4M Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2004 14:09 Send this review to a friend
Great program  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been evaluating the trial version (v5, not the "lite" version) for about a month now, using it daily. I have found it to be a very colorful, extensive logging program, well described by GI4XFN. Since he gave such a nice review, I won't repeat his comments.
I find it very comparable to DX4WIN in almost every respect.
I'll give you my main dislike: the main one Not having an available HELP file from the main screen. (at least not in the trial version) The HELP files are all .pdf files, you have to go "outside" of the program to read them, or at least print them as a manual does not come with the program.
As for cost, it is a bit cheaper than DX4WIN, but I must admit there are a lot of FREE programs available.
Like other comparable programs EL takes care of logging, QSL'ing, Award tracking, DX spots, etc.. a great program that should meet anyone's needs. My ADIF file imported perfectly into EasyLog.