Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-765 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-765
ICOM IC-765 Reviews: 95 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $2692.00
Description: 1989 - 1995 ICOM HF Flagship

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-765.

VK2NZA Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2016 02:42 Send this review to a friend
Icom solid st analog nirvarna  Time owned: more than 12 months
On arrival at the Gold Coasthamfest a few years ago I spotted the bulk of an IC-765 sitting amongst an array of other gear, after giving it a good lookover and deciding it was very easy on the eye I asked how much, the price was more than I had in my wallet and I dragged myself away to other attractions.
Later that afternoon as many were packing up the club member standing behind the stall looked at me and said "go on you know you want one" he was right I did! but I said "sorry its too rich for me" He replied well no one has bought it, we're selling it and its accessories for the family of a recently SK member and its got to go, how much have you got,I dug into my wallet and said $410.00, good enough he said and it was mine!
Sometimes the gods are smiling on you, because the accessories included a pristine Millen tuner an SM8 mic plus SP2300 speaker.
All my xmasses had come at once.
How does it perform,well its big! and it imposes itself over every other transceiver in the shack.
Ergonomically excellent, everything at hand, no menus Yay!
The FT-1000D sitting alongside glowers at it sideways and sulks.
A truly fine receiver, analogue at its best,the finals still punch that Icom clinical copy,and when switched through another pair of Icom classics the IC2KL linear and AT-500 auto tuner well its "the Flight of the Valkyries" Wagner very loudly proclaiming mastery of the airwaves.
Solid state analog nirvana!
No squinting at the screen or applying tweezers to turn a truly miniscule knob on this baby! Large digits are welcome.
Seriously though i have a couple of late model (Icom)desk tops and they are very good, great DSP, fine receivers, but there is something about the IC765/761 that quietly understates quality, those who have experienced them know the feeling!
Highly recommended in that big Lazyboy comfort type ham experience.
Next....I have always admired the IC-775 Hmmmmm.
K9LLK Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2015 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Got lucky when I bought an IC-765  Time owned: more than 12 months
I passed both the Tech and General exams in one session. I really didn't know which direction to head for a "starter" rig. I managed to come across a mint condition IC-765 loaded with every option except the speech synthesizer. I watched for deals on an SM-6 desk mic and an SP-20 external speaker with audio filters to complete the set-up.

I love the built-in power supply, built-in antenna tuner, and the multi-function meter. The IC-765 is a feature rich rig that is a delight to use without having to go through a bazillion menus.

Even though I've upgraded to Extra since getting the IC-765, I'm not feeling any urge to "upgrade" to a different rig.
N1VGN Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2015 20:20 Send this review to a friend
A Dream Come True  Time owned: more than 12 months
I guess getting older (43) isn't so bad. When I first got licensed in the early 90's this class of radio was cost prohibitive, just as I'm sure we dream of the flagship radios today. While still not inexpensive, at least now attainable. The reviews reflect the type of criticism this radio deserves. Yes, it is large/heavy and designed for indoor contest/ DX use. My previous radio was a 745, which I loved, and so I am biased towards Icom and familiar with the features, etc. Ham radios last for decades so don't be afraid to buy one. The "1" or "0" rating wasn't really fair just based on it's age, we know what we're buying. My brother is licensed too and a real Yaesu nut, but he now has 2 (or more) of the 761/ 765. A really big plus with this rig is the few areas where people feel it is lacking now have time-tested modifications available (PBT, etc.). Anyway, I wanted to rate it to offset the (2 out of 92) unnecessarily low ratings and I'll get my brother to vote, see if we can get it to 4.9 from 4.8. Thanks for all the tips in the reviews they're pretty handy. It's almost unanimous not to get rid of this radio, and to cure the seller's remorse quite a few replaced it with another. Thanks Icom! '73's!!
KK4CIR Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2015 10:50 Send this review to a friend
BIG RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great radio and super easy to operate! If you like a simple to operate radio with BIG knobs to turn with the reliability of ICOM you found it, look no further. For its age this rig still holds very respectable reputation in the Ham family. IMO is one of the best BIG base station radios from their time.
K8YZK Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2014 06:10 Send this review to a friend
Love it so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Traded a Alinco DX-SR8T(not a bad radio), for the IC-765. Yes it is older technology, but love the ease of operation without all the menus. Tuner works good, like the built in ps. Beside being a boat anchor because of the weight, the one problem I have, the NB isn't working, but that is not a problem with me. Looking to keep this rig for a long time.
KI0SV Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2014 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Time Enduring Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Every once in a while a device comes along that is so well constructed and thought through that it spans the test of time. This is one of those examples.

I have owned my Icom 765 for almost two years and I have enjoyed operating and listening to this radio every time its on. The front panel is nicely laid out and easy to figure out without the manual in your hand. I am a bit put off by some of these menu driven radios and I still like twisting a knob or two when listening to a favorite station. I like to have fun when I am operating and this rig is just that, FUN!

I usually operate on 10, 15, 20, and 75 meters and the rig tunes each band nicely with great barefoot signal reports (granted the antenna helps) and it tunes each band nicely. Audio reports are always compliments and signal rejection and sensitivity are among the best my calibrated ear discern. After all, isn't that the best test?

If you find one of these for sale (sorry you won't see mine listed!) I would recommend you jump on it and you will find the radio will deliver hours of enjoyment for years to come and like me and many other 765 owners you will not be disappointed.

Yeah, the "1" guy just didn't get it.
K6MTS Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2014 10:22 Send this review to a friend
One of the best ever  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Truly an incredible rig. Is it the same as rigs of today? Of course not.

But they are a wonderful radio from a past era that still work excellent and are still the preferred rig for many contesters, DX chasers and Rag chewers alike.

So here is another 5 rating to help counter the silly comparison and rating of 1 (Really, a 1 ??) in the previous review.
YY5CMJ Rating: 1/5 Jul 12, 2014 06:47 Send this review to a friend
BASIC RADIO   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It is a very limited functions Grande for a current amateur.

Has antenna tuner built in, Easy operation without good audio submenu with limitations (no low). Basic modulation.

Very, very big and heavy about 25kg. All audio limitations of the time and very basic.
  Failure additional filters the radio is playing
with too much QSB.

Limitations of this characteristic ICOM ALC, if you do not have a good microphone radio does not push more than 60w and 80w Maximum peaks.

My opinion is that this radio was a good time right now for pear HF radios there are certainly superior in every way. If you're conservative and like classic and easy to use this is a good choice.
K6MTS Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2014 10:09 Send this review to a friend
Classic rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Very nice, LARGE rig. Incredible tuning knob feel, bright displays and no menus, great receive and stable. Sadly I just sold mine to open up room for an amp, and it was my secondary HF rig. I'm regretting it already...
W1PFS Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2013 10:11 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Radio !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this radio for about 24 hrs, yes, I said 24 hrs !!! And I already know its a keeper, and that I should have bought it yrs ago ! Solid radio with great performance all around !!!! paul