Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-765 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-765
ICOM IC-765 Reviews: 89 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $2692.00
Description: 1989 - 1995 ICOM HF Flagship
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/support/archive/amateur/ic-765.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-765.

K6MTS Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2014 10:22 Send this review to a friend
One of the best ever  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Truly an incredible rig. Is it the same as rigs of today? Of course not.

But they are a wonderful radio from a past era that still work excellent and are still the preferred rig for many contesters, DX chasers and Rag chewers alike.

So here is another 5 rating to help counter the silly comparison and rating of 1 (Really, a 1 ??) in the previous review.

YY5CMJ Rating: 1/5 Jul 12, 2014 06:47 Send this review to a friend
BASIC RADIO   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It is a very limited functions Grande for a current amateur.

Pros:
Has antenna tuner built in, Easy operation without good audio submenu with limitations (no low). Basic modulation.

Cons:
Very, very big and heavy about 25kg. All audio limitations of the time and very basic.
Failure additional filters the radio is playing
with too much QSB.

Limitations of this characteristic ICOM ALC, if you do not have a good microphone radio does not push more than 60w and 80w Maximum peaks.

My opinion is that this radio was a good time right now for pear HF radios there are certainly superior in every way. If you're conservative and like classic and easy to use this is a good choice.

K6MTS Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2014 10:09 Send this review to a friend
Classic rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Very nice, LARGE rig. Incredible tuning knob feel, bright displays and no menus, great receive and stable. Sadly I just sold mine to open up room for an amp, and it was my secondary HF rig. I'm regretting it already...

W1PFS Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2013 10:11 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Radio !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this radio for about 24 hrs, yes, I said 24 hrs !!! And I already know its a keeper, and that I should have bought it yrs ago ! Solid radio with great performance all around !!!! paul

W7ARX Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2013 15:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the 765, at one time, 2 of them. I let them go. What an idiot. The receiver specs are very high for "old" technology. I have found over the years that DSP isn't all that. The non-DSP radios out there perform very, very well. I could go on, but get with someone that has the 765....play with it and then tell me it is too old to be functional!

OM2TW Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2013 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Just perfect!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This transceiver has the finest receiver of any radio I've owned or used. I've made some mods, including filters change, roofing filter, etc.. Some people said's, that it's noisy radio. Yes, I confirm, that noisy AF is the main weakness of this transceiver. I replaced onboard AF amplifier with external module (internaly installed). The results are significant. If you have question regarding this mod, just send me email.

73 de Rich OK8WW / OM2TW

VK3TEX Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2013 16:25 Send this review to a friend
The best radio from Icom!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine is one owner from new and is still the best
That I have in the shack. I have an IC-7700 as
My main radio mainly for the bells and whistles
And ragchewing. But I turn to the 765 for really
Weak signal DX work. In pure sensitivity response
It outperforms the 7700. It also doesn't suffer from
Reciever AGC pops due to switching of mains electrical
Equipment like the 7700 does...
It has had most of the mods done to it but still has the
Original filters in it. Did a recent tune after 20 years,and
Is as gOod as new now.
The TX is flawless giving excellent modulation even
Without the compressor engaged.
I don't think Icom have produced a better radio since
The 765...
If Icom had the same engineers working on the radios
Today that they did on the 765 Icom would blow the
Competition away!
With care, this classic should bring their owners
Many more years of operating pleasure.
Les, VK3TEX.

N2YPD Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2013 09:57 Send this review to a friend
Just perfect !   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Icom IC-765 is the Perfect Radio. and they are just a joy to operate! I have owned *everything* over the past 30 years, even my IC-7800. The Icom 765 I can say that have not already said. FANTASTIC, FABULOUS, INCREDIBLE, the BETTER. This transceiver has the finest receiver of any radio I've owned. The Notch function is superb, never had anything better than this one. I can say that the 765 beats them all.. The ultimate radio with one ear impressive, the receiver is the best Everyone should have one to be Happy.

If you buy one of these radios, you'll probably own it for a very long time... I fully agree with all of the literally glowing reviews!

If you are thinking of buying one good luck with finding one, EXCELLENT RADIO.

SM5SRR Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2012 11:41 Send this review to a friend
GREAT VALUE/QUALITY RATIO  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I already reviewed this rig in 2006. So why a new review? Well, just got a second one for the summer cottage. And, yes, still the best radio around. Somebody wrote he wished more filters could be selected. Search the internet for modifications which just cover this subject for the IC-765.
You can find these radios for an affordable price and the quality is still super.

ZL1SW Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2012 21:28 Send this review to a friend
forget the rest this is the best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
well what can i say that hasent allready been said, NB works a treet,i dont have the pass band mod and wont bother as the IF shift works grate,notch is exl also,i was very lucky to get this rig,boy oh boy what a rig,,i will never ever sell it,its my main rig,was offerd a 746pro for a swap i said no tnx.....if you manage to get one of these rigs you will not be disapointed,,,,,,as for the guy that left a bad revue i think he is a yeasu man or he could not find one to buy,,i feal sorry for him,, cheers all and good luck on finding one