Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-765 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-765
ICOM IC-765 Reviews: 95 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $2692.00
Description: 1989 - 1995 ICOM HF Flagship

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-765.

W7NKR Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2013 15:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the 765, at one time, 2 of them. I let them go. What an idiot. The receiver specs are very high for "old" technology. I have found over the years that DSP isn't all that. The non-DSP radios out there perform very, very well. I could go on, but get with someone that has the with it and then tell me it is too old to be functional!
OM2TW Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2013 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Just perfect!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This transceiver has the finest receiver of any radio I've owned or used. I've made some mods, including filters change, roofing filter, etc.. Some people said's, that it's noisy radio. Yes, I confirm, that noisy AF is the main weakness of this transceiver. I replaced onboard AF amplifier with external module (internaly installed). The results are significant. If you have question regarding this mod, just send me email.

73 de Rich OK8WW / OM2TW
VK3TEX Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2013 16:25 Send this review to a friend
The best radio from Icom!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine is one owner from new and is still the best
That I have in the shack. I have an IC-7700 as
My main radio mainly for the bells and whistles
And ragchewing. But I turn to the 765 for really
Weak signal DX work. In pure sensitivity response
It outperforms the 7700. It also doesn't suffer from
Reciever AGC pops due to switching of mains electrical
Equipment like the 7700 does...
It has had most of the mods done to it but still has the
Original filters in it. Did a recent tune after 20 years,and
Is as gOod as new now.
The TX is flawless giving excellent modulation even
Without the compressor engaged.
I don't think Icom have produced a better radio since
The 765...
If Icom had the same engineers working on the radios
Today that they did on the 765 Icom would blow the
Competition away!
With care, this classic should bring their owners
Many more years of operating pleasure.
Les, VK3TEX.
N2YPD Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2013 09:57 Send this review to a friend
Just perfect !   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Icom IC-765 is the Perfect Radio. and they are just a joy to operate! I have owned *everything* over the past 30 years, even my IC-7800. The Icom 765 I can say that have not already said. FANTASTIC, FABULOUS, INCREDIBLE, the BETTER. This transceiver has the finest receiver of any radio I've owned. The Notch function is superb, never had anything better than this one. I can say that the 765 beats them all.. The ultimate radio with one ear impressive, the receiver is the best Everyone should have one to be Happy.

If you buy one of these radios, you'll probably own it for a very long time... I fully agree with all of the literally glowing reviews!

If you are thinking of buying one good luck with finding one, EXCELLENT RADIO.
SM5SRR Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2012 11:41 Send this review to a friend
GREAT VALUE/QUALITY RATIO  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I already reviewed this rig in 2006. So why a new review? Well, just got a second one for the summer cottage. And, yes, still the best radio around. Somebody wrote he wished more filters could be selected. Search the internet for modifications which just cover this subject for the IC-765.
You can find these radios for an affordable price and the quality is still super.
ZL1SW Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2012 21:28 Send this review to a friend
forget the rest this is the best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
well what can i say that hasent allready been said, NB works a treet,i dont have the pass band mod and wont bother as the IF shift works grate,notch is exl also,i was very lucky to get this rig,boy oh boy what a rig,,i will never ever sell it,its my main rig,was offerd a 746pro for a swap i said no tnx.....if you manage to get one of these rigs you will not be disapointed,,,,,,as for the guy that left a bad revue i think he is a yeasu man or he could not find one to buy,,i feal sorry for him,, cheers all and good luck on finding one
VK2FMAW Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2012 22:50 Send this review to a friend
A real keeper  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this radio now for about 18 months and it is mint .Although on a 10 watt power restriction due to my licence class i can say i have had some great contacts on this radio.I have previously owned a kenwood 480hx,ken wood ts 2000 and an icom 735.out of these radios i found the old 735 reciever to be the best until i got my hands on this beauty,its receiver and sensitivity is is built like a tank and does weigh quite a bit so probably not suited to carting around for field trips.After reading other reviews here and seeing people trying to compare this to $7000+ radios all i can say is save your hard earned cash and try pick up one of these in good nick,you will not be disappointed
KC8HXO Rating: 4/5 Apr 7, 2012 16:48 Send this review to a friend
Yup, it's true.....  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
She's a keeper from back at the turn of the century. Too bad Icom made the decision to put cheaper filters in it, instead of the high quality filters they had been using. Oh well, maybe we'll upgrade to the better filters some day. Wish it had the ability to install and select SSB filters from the front panel. These few faults keep it from being a 5 on my list. Really good, but could have easily been better.
KB9MRK Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2012 19:29 Send this review to a friend
Top Notch! Outstanding Rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finally got my hands on one of these rigs, and I am happy to say it is everything everyone says!! This is the best receiver I have ever heard, and I have owned alot of radios. I am listening to 80 meter right now and some people are complaining about the high noise, However the noise I have is minimal and I hear everyone with an FM quality. This rig absolutely blows my Icom 746 away in every aspect. I get better audio reports, and I can hear signals the 746 cannot even pick up. It is a BIG rig, but I like big desktops. If you happen to get lucky enough to stumble across one of these rigs....BUY IT!!! I see why this was Icoms Flagship for so many years, I consider it one of the best rigs I have ever owned. DSP is a joke compared to the filtering of what this rig can do..I love it and I will not part with this one.
SWL377 Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2012 16:54 Send this review to a friend
GREAT rcvr, fine xmtr  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
No DSP but it still pulls in the weak sigs very well. The 765 suffers from the same trimmer cap aging problems that the 751 does, but its fixable with new caps. Its a big heavy radio. Feels like a 400 watt set but it's not. I like the large front panel, easier to work with than the 751. I get good reports on the transmitted signal, but nobody raves about the audio. Very good ergonomics, you can easily use it without a manual. These sets command astounding prices on eBay where one sold for $1259 in Feb 2012. There must be a good reason why they are so highly prized given how old they are. You can buy a used 756 Pro III for only $400 more so there must be something special about the 765 which has FAR fewer features. I do agree that the 765 rcvr is a high performer indeed, very quiet and sensitive. The rest of the set is good, but not exemplary. It's nice to see an old timer that can still keep up with the new kids as far as hearing weak signals goes. The 765 is a classic and has a loyal following.