Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-765 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-765
ICOM IC-765 Reviews: 89 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $2692.00
Description: 1989 - 1995 ICOM HF Flagship
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/support/archive/amateur/ic-765.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-765.

VK2FMAW Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2012 22:50 Send this review to a friend
A real keeper  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this radio now for about 18 months and it is mint .Although on a 10 watt power restriction due to my licence class i can say i have had some great contacts on this radio.I have previously owned a kenwood 480hx,ken wood ts 2000 and an icom 735.out of these radios i found the old 735 reciever to be the best until i got my hands on this beauty,its receiver and sensitivity is outstanding.it is built like a tank and does weigh quite a bit so probably not suited to carting around for field trips.After reading other reviews here and seeing people trying to compare this to $7000+ radios all i can say is save your hard earned cash and try pick up one of these in good nick,you will not be disappointed

KC8HXO Rating: 4/5 Apr 7, 2012 16:48 Send this review to a friend
Yup, it's true.....  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
She's a keeper from back at the turn of the century. Too bad Icom made the decision to put cheaper filters in it, instead of the high quality filters they had been using. Oh well, maybe we'll upgrade to the better filters some day. Wish it had the ability to install and select SSB filters from the front panel. These few faults keep it from being a 5 on my list. Really good, but could have easily been better.

KB9MRK Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2012 19:29 Send this review to a friend
Top Notch! Outstanding Rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finally got my hands on one of these rigs, and I am happy to say it is everything everyone says!! This is the best receiver I have ever heard, and I have owned alot of radios. I am listening to 80 meter right now and some people are complaining about the high noise, However the noise I have is minimal and I hear everyone with an FM quality. This rig absolutely blows my Icom 746 away in every aspect. I get better audio reports, and I can hear signals the 746 cannot even pick up. It is a BIG rig, but I like big desktops. If you happen to get lucky enough to stumble across one of these rigs....BUY IT!!! I see why this was Icoms Flagship for so many years, I consider it one of the best rigs I have ever owned. DSP is a joke compared to the filtering of what this rig can do..I love it and I will not part with this one.

SWL377 Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2012 16:54 Send this review to a friend
GREAT rcvr, fine xmtr  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
No DSP but it still pulls in the weak sigs very well. The 765 suffers from the same trimmer cap aging problems that the 751 does, but its fixable with new caps. Its a big heavy radio. Feels like a 400 watt set but it's not. I like the large front panel, easier to work with than the 751. I get good reports on the transmitted signal, but nobody raves about the audio. Very good ergonomics, you can easily use it without a manual. These sets command astounding prices on eBay where one sold for $1259 in Feb 2012. There must be a good reason why they are so highly prized given how old they are. You can buy a used 756 Pro III for only $400 more so there must be something special about the 765 which has FAR fewer features. I do agree that the 765 rcvr is a high performer indeed, very quiet and sensitive. The rest of the set is good, but not exemplary. It's nice to see an old timer that can still keep up with the new kids as far as hearing weak signals goes. The 765 is a classic and has a loyal following.

G0MMI Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2012 01:42 Send this review to a friend
Great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio a few years back and not long after the power supply died. Replaced from and old IC-760 and back working 100%.I have a IC-756proIII with dodgy output so now using the 765. Forgot how nice it is to use the IC-765 and with it hitched up to the IC-AT500 and IC-2kl amp it works a very well. Good receiver, good audio reports etc. If you want a second rig this is one's a real joy. Worked a ZL on 40m with -20db ATT and he was still there. Nice RX. It will be having a re-alighnment done by Icom UK shortly as I intend to use the IC-765 more often. Its Worth it!

RADIOMANN Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2011 11:41 Send this review to a friend
VERY BEST INDEED  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had a lot of Transceivers, cheap Transceivers and Top of the Line Transceivers. This is my second Icom IC-765 and I can say the IC-765 is by FAR the very very best Transceiver, no Exageration !!!!

The Speech Processor (Comp) alone even, it is like a HUGE SLEDGEHAMMER punching through a Concrete Wall. The IC-7700 can not come any close, maybe the IC-781 is same or better but I have to test that out yet.

The Receiver is a Phenomeneon. If you think you wont hear with the 765 what you cant hear with another one, think again. The Receiver makes Silables sound clearer compared to other Receivers, the Voices are better understanable. A Weak Signal that is redable with the IC-765 becomes unreadable with the IC-7700 or even Dissapears (except there is QRM wich the newer Radio handels much better), only in a strong qrm qth i would choose the IC-7700 but else not all. No I am not an Icom Employee who makes an advertising for Icom, I'm talking out of Experience.
The Audio Quality of the Receiver compared to other Receivers is like Hifi compared to some cheap clock radio, switching from the IC-765 to another Transceivers Receiver was like someone has put a pillow on the speaker, other Transceivers Receiver Part sound muffled compared to the IC-765. It is a Pleasure to listen with the IC-765, the Brilliance of the Audio, easy listening. Maybe the IC-781 has a better Receiver but I have to get a 781 yet.

This Receiver is quiet, sensitive and not overloaded with Larger Antennas. The very low Noise Level combined with the NB, the high Sensitivity and hifi audio quality make the receiver outstanding, realy outstanding.

The NB (NB=Noise Blanker) is actualy working, this is real ASP (Analog Signal Processor). I turn the NB Knob and the Noise goes down significantly. There were SSB Signals that I couldnt understand, with the NB the Noise level (and S-Meter reading) dropped slightly but enough to make the SSB Signal readable. I had a IC-761 in my former QTH, that 761 I had could reduce the Noise with the NB much more than the IC-765 but maybe that was because the Noise was different in my Former QTH.

What I dont like of the NB is, it distorts a stronger signal but that is no problem, because a stronger signal does not need the NB (as much a weaker signal does).

The Building Quality is without Competition, I touched the IC-7800 top, it feels like an empty Tincan of softdrink, the IC-765 is build rock solid.

HAMDUDE Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2011 09:29 Send this review to a friend
STILL KING  Time owned: more than 12 months
ON MY THIRD 765, UNBELIEVABLE RADIO STILL TODAY. HEARS SIGNALS 20 YEAR NEWER RADIOS CANNOT. INRAD ROOFING FILTER JUST MAKES IT BETTER, WHINING OPS WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT: IT'S TOO BIG, KNOBS AREN'T RIGHT ETC. IF THAT IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN HEARING THOSE RARE DX, YOU A LOSER ANYHOW. AND YOU CAN ACTUALLY REPAIR IT YOURSELF. DONE THE NEW RADIOS FOR YEARS AND ALWAYS COME BACK TO THE 765. ONLY RADIO CLOSE WAS THE 775 DSP I HAD. BEST RADIO DEAL OUT THERE. AND I AM LOOKING FOR ANOTHER ONE.

IK8TEO Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2011 14:40 Send this review to a friend
The best analog transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's the best of analog transmitters. Every now and then I make a gift. I recently installed the roofing filter INRAD.
Excellent. Mine is 20 years old and is insuperable. Sturdy, fix it easily.
Francesco IK8TEO

WZ0CX Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2011 18:37 Send this review to a friend
Unbeatable!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned many 765's, sold them all when I ran across a like new 765 with the INRAD roofing filter and made it my station center piece!
It is a very simple but extremely effective radio.
The reception is exceptional, especially with the INRAD roofing filter.
Optional filters are a must also recomend replace the ssb 2.8khz x 2.4khz filter.
Best radio/price relation on the market.
Will never leave my shack.Will not trade for any of the new DSP radios!

KD7RDZI2 Rating: 4/5 Dec 22, 2010 17:23 Send this review to a friend
contest machine but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this rig sporadically at a Radio Club. I might be a bit biased, however I have my opinion about it, a subjective one. First I like its front-end very much. Impossible to overload even with large antennas. The RF part seems to me exceptional. This machine is great for CW contesters. SSB in TX is also very good, good modulation. Another pro is that it can be repaired as it uses many standard components. However this rig will probably never become my favorite. It is a quite large machine compared to a K3. The ergonomics also is not my favorite, maybe there are too many small buttons and knobs. But what I don't like is the RX audio for SSB and AM. I prefer much more the demodulation of my Drake R8 and even the one of portables such as the Redsun RP2100 and whenever demodulation is made by PC software such as Dream or WinradHD. So it's a great machine but maybe just not quite right for a casual listener.