Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Gotham Vertical V-40, V-80, V-160 Help

Reviews Summary for Gotham Vertical V-40, V-80, V-160
Gotham Vertical V-40, V-80, V-160 Reviews: 31 Average rating: 2.3/5 MSRP: $14.95 to 18.95 plus shipping.
Description: Antenna heavily advertised in QST in the 1950s and 1960s, with fantastic ads. "Work the World with your Gotham Vertical". No longer available new.
More info: http://none

You can write your own review of the Gotham Vertical V-40, V-80, V-160.

W5RG Rating: 0/5 Aug 14, 2007 21:25 Send this review to a friend
WOW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
WOW..I think back now and it all make since..I felt violated back then to spent all that money at age 12 and didn't ever get it to work..every time it fell down..it bent..I wanted to get one of their beams but got a Hornet TB-500..HAD I bought the beam I would still be in Jail..Lucky for me the Hornet work so good back then..Bob

KE5GK Rating: 1/5 Aug 14, 2007 19:08 Send this review to a friend
At Last I Can Tell My Story  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I now realize owning a Gotham antenna is not just a ham problem. The disease impacts the entire family. I have wanted to tell my story for over 30 years. I tried in my 2004 review. Now it can finally be told:

During my manifold attempts to get a low SWR (in the 1970's) I neglected my wife and my children.
Every waking--none work--moment was dedicated to trying to make this beast work.

Today, I am paying an awesome price for my selfishness and stupid decision to purchase the V-80.Two of my three children have serious issues with life and their relationships to other adults.

In fact, our son has been divorced twice and we are now raising his three children.

I believe I will be punished until I depart this life because I once owned this P.T. Barnum special.

My wife has forgiven me. I am trying hard to learn how to forgive myself.

I wonder if other hams have had major life issues as a result of owning this antenna.

K3SUI Rating: 0/5 Aug 14, 2007 18:01 Send this review to a friend
MFJ Warm-up  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yea, I have to admit ... I had one of these!! It's a shame that the folks who tried to save money buying this antenna were the ones who had little money to spend.

Actually, with a radial system and an antenna analyser you could probably make it work ... kinda ...

W0CKI Rating: 0/5 Aug 14, 2007 17:25 Send this review to a friend
Absolute total junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hams our age must be losing it. These were the scam of the 50's and 60's. I'm 67 and have been licensed since 1954. While I can't remember everything, I can remember the "Gotham" days. They were the MFJ of that era.
73, Gary, W0CKI

N8ABE Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2007 16:29 Send this review to a friend
V-80  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first HF antenna along with my Henry Tempo One. I hung this antenna outside my 2nd story window with the provided hardware and had no problems! I just opened the window to change the coil tap for a band change and off I went. I didn't even have a ground or radials and still had good SWR. Seems like I paid less than 20 bucks for it. I got my moneys worth even if it did use wood dowels to keep the aluminum rods together. I would buy another one if they were still made!

W8WLC Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2007 04:45 Send this review to a friend
For the new ham  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got one of these from another ham in the 60's. I made it my summer project laying down radials.It worked great and was dirt cheap. I liked it so much I ended up ordering Gothams 15 meter quad as well and was very happy with it

W0CKI Rating: 0/5 Feb 12, 2007 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Absolute junk!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Absolute junk. As a new ham in 1954 I saw all those ads in QST for the Gotham stuff. I fell for it, against the advice from my Dad, a Ham since 1923, but in my stuborn ways bought a vertical. Didn't ever work, with radials or without. Not worth the wholesale price of aluminum.

KA1YUW Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2007 19:31 Send this review to a friend
worked good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had the v-160 and worked great. As long as you had enough radials under it. That's the problem with most hams. They don't put any or enough radils. You need atleat 50 of them. Yes it was very cheaply made but for the price you could not go wrong. I'd rather use a vertical then a dipole or beam anyday. Lots of times it out does the others. and works in all directions. Great for dx.
And I have beams and dipoles also.

N9ESH Rating: 0/5 Apr 12, 2006 20:23 Send this review to a friend
Not worth it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
A very cheap antenna with poor performance. Gave verticals a bad name. Used BX staples for a mount. I guess one was supposed to mount it to the side of a house. Instructions were lacking at best. Like the A-99 of today, a real "Novice special". A simple dipole was superior. Actually, the REA shipping cost more.

It did make a good mast for other antennas.

W3PH Rating: 4/5 Dec 26, 2005 12:47 Send this review to a friend
Worked great as ground plane with open wire line  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got one of these in the mid-'60s and used it for about 20 years, 'til it got lost in a move, and found it really useful. Never used the coil, but mounted it 20' up (on top of house, garage, TV mast, etc. depending on what was available at each location) with 4 radials, which also served as guys, and fed it with open-wire line. Worked great on 20/15/10, and decently on 40 even though it was half-size there. Quality was nothing special, but it did serve me well 20 years so it was good enough ... wish I still had it.