Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | WriteLog by W5XD Help

Reviews Summary for WriteLog by W5XD
WriteLog by W5XD Reviews: 41 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $75.00
Description: Contest logging software for CW, SSB, RTTY, and PSK31.
More info: http://www.writelog.com/

You can write your own review of the WriteLog by W5XD.

ZS6AAA Rating: 4/5 Jul 19, 2007 13:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent package but documentation could be better  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using WriteLog for about 3 years now. It does exactly what it is supposed to do, and has never given any trouble. I recently upgraded my station to full SO2R capability, and it only took about an hour to set up WriteLog and figure out how to make it work on SO2R.

I'm exclusively a CW contester, have used both the COM port and the LPT line for computer-generated keying, and have never had any CW timing problems. Admittedly, I usually work 25-30 wpm so there may be timing problems at faster speeds (in which case I'll just switch to using my WinKeyer to generate the PC keying). Note however that to use the LPT port under Windows XP you need the directio drivers, which cost an additional US$ 29. (I use two serial ports for rig control, and wanted the CW keying and rig A/B switching on LPT).

If WriteLog has a weakness, it's that the documentation could be better, plus it would be nice if they included LPT control for Windows XP at no additional cost. Also, some more advanced settings require manual fiddling with the writelog.ini text file - it would be nicer if everything could be set up within the Windows interface (but note that these are set-once-and-forget type settings, like automatic log saving, nothing that I want to change regularly).

I haven't had much opportunity to test the technical support recently; but when I first got the package I asked for the RSGB Commonwealth Contest to be added, and it was.

W3TUA Rating: 3/5 Jun 1, 2007 18:08 Send this review to a friend
Only okay  Time owned: more than 12 months
Congrats to the guy that bought the program for $30. It cost a lot more than that when I purchased it about 3 years ago.

PROS--Very stable, voice keying works FB. works well with WinKey or W5XD Multikeyer. With the Multikeyer SO2R is easy.

Cons--If you don't use WinKey then you will have CW timing/stutter problems. It's quite frustrating and it doesn't matter if you use a legacy serial port or USB-to-serial adapter. Networking setup is complicated. N1MM worked the first time with very little fuss. The biggest problem is paying for an "update" later that should have been included in the first place that adds absolutely no added functionality.

N1MM works much better with serial CW keying and networking. It does everything Writelog does and more. Don't mention that it's also FREE.

G4WFQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2007 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Bomb Proof and well supported  Time owned: more than 12 months
Writelog is still the number one choice for my contest logging.
I have tried quite a few contest logging programs including the latest offerings, but what really stands out for me, is that I have NEVER lost a single QSO from any logs with Writelog, despite numerous power cuts on various dxpeditions.
Its stood the test of time, used in both CW and RTTY contests, at home and on dxpedition, G4WFQ/HI9, C6AWF and G4WFQ/6W.
The documentation is all included in the program help files, which are searchable. Works perfectly with Winkey and runs very well in Windows XP without any add ons required!
If your a RTTY contester then writelog supports the MMTTY plug-in and does just about every RTTY contest going.
At $30 and with so many contests supported it has to be very good value!
Cheers
Dave
G4WFQ

AD6WL Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2006 14:00 Send this review to a friend
The best contesting software  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is by far the best contesting software I have ever used. I have been a dedicated user for over 5 years. The price is only $30 as of this writing. There is a learning curve for this program but it is well worth it. I operate CW, phone and digital modes with it. For contests like the CA QP, I can operate CW on one radio and SSB on the other. SO2R on all modes, especially RTTY, is a breeze. All my CQs, Rotor control, filter selection and scoring are automated. Updates and support for this software is excellent.

The following website should solve all your support needs. You will have to follow some of the links to get what you want but it is all there.

If youíre serious about contesting or just want to use an easy automated program this is it. If all you need is a general logging software for casual contacts, I would recommend Logger32, but for contests Write Log is the best.

K4WPX Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2006 19:53 Send this review to a friend
a Must for a Contest  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the best contest logging software around period. No PHD needed to use it.
The 3Y0X team could not be wrong either! I used this in many contests from Africa with great success and not one problem. If you are into contesting, get it!
The DXpedition mode works great a as general logger!
Well done W5XD!
Andre K4WPX (ZS6WPX,C91Z,7P8ZZ,3DA0WPX,SU/ZS6WPX,5H9AW)

K9OM Rating: 1/5 Nov 15, 2005 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Very Poor Documentation  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased WriteLog over a year ago and haven't had the time to get it running yet. Almost no documentation comes with the program. After you purchase the program you are advised to visit multiple websites to glean the information needed to get it running. In addition to very poor documentation the software is not complete and will not allow you to run CW with Windows XP. Therefore, off to a 3rd Party site you go again to download 3rd party software. I downloaded the 3rd Party CW driver but didn't have time to search the net for instructions on how to install and configure it. When I found all this out I asked WriteLog for a refund... but was yelled at for even considering the idea... and then was told "no refunds".

Perhaps when I retire I'll have time to fool with WriteLog. Working 60 hour weeks and fooling with WriteLog is not compatible. For now, when I have some spare time I love working on antennas and operating. In the meantime... NA, CT, TR, and LOG-EQF all work just fine and are a pleasure to use.

Since they charge a healthy price for WriteLog I see no excuse for them not to include a well documented Owners Manual. They charge a healthy price for WriteLog but act like the program is free.

So buyer beware! Don't purchase WriteLog unless you have lots of time to spend searching the net for installation and user information. If I had known this I wouldn't have purchased WriteLog at this time.

Best 73!

KD8BIZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2005 09:36 Send this review to a friend
Great contest logger  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm new to Ham, new to contesting, new to everyting.

I got WriteLog and started doing RTTY contests - this is the best RTTY contest software ever - now I'm hooked on RTTY.

This weekend I will try a SSB contest - this thing makes contesting feasible - now if I just had a tower, and decent set of antennas, and an amp.

Not a great general logger - for that I use DXKeeper, but a great contest logger, and you need both.

Dennis

N4LQ Rating: 0/5 Nov 28, 2004 10:00 Send this review to a friend
Buyer Beware  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In order to try this software, you must purchase it. I purchased it via PayPal. It took 3 days to the "download instructions" to arrive via Email. I received an 11 page Email consisting of a disorganized jumble of instructions wherein was hidden the security key. Several attempts to install were needed. I managed to get WL to run my Omni VI but not the Jupiter. CW keying through the LPT port was horrible. In frustration, I asked for a refund. The sales person would not respond to my refund request. I went directly to W5XD who apparently forced the sales person to refund my money. The sales person was relunctant to process the refund and in so many words accused me of wrong doing.
If you like the reviews of this software and want to try it, just keep in mind that basically, you're stuck with it. $75 is a lot of money just to try something. I would recommend trying other logging programs that provide a shareware or demo version before you take the plunge.

RV3APM Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2004 13:53 Send this review to a friend
SuperB Contest Software  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use WriteLog almost 4 years. WL have many useful functions , very quality with good interface. Support many RTTY-SSB-CW contests.
Very nice job!

VE3YF Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2003 09:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Contest Software  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Up till now I have been using a couple of DOS based software programs for all of my contest needs. While they worked good, I wanted something that would work under the Windows Platform. I came to eHam to find reviews of various programs and found this program and I thought I would give WL a try. I got everything to work on the first go and it installed with no problems. I have used it for 2 x RTTY Contests and haven't had a single problem. Plenty of support around for contests that are not self contained. I feel that I am NOT going to go back to DOS! Working in the Windows environment is much better and simpler than DOS! I have also tryed the network feature with the program and I find that it also works great or at least close to great. Great support for Writelog.