Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | EMTRON DX3 Help

Reviews Summary for EMTRON DX3
EMTRON DX3 Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $5169.00
Description: HF AMPLIFIER
More info: http://www.emtron.com.au/DX3.html

You can write your own review of the EMTRON DX3.

VK2UW Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2014 02:04 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the DX-3 and updated to the DX-3SP and have now just purchased the all new DX-1SP.

All the new ranges of SP amplifiers all use the FU-728F tetrode and all the control boards are the same in the DX-2SP and DX-3SP range.
Another bonus is that the FU-728F tetrode is compatible with all 3 models.

These venerable amplifiers are of the highest engineering design and quality.
The chassis is the strongest available in todays commercial amplifiers plus with the new up dates to have two radio's connected and with the flick of a switch swap from one to the other, like wise with the extra antenna outlets. Swap antennas with the flick of a switch.

All Emtron amplifiers come with all the above features as standard along with the best protection available.

ZL4IV Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2012 02:46 Send this review to a friend
Interesting  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I see it has been almost a year since a post. My line up is DX-2a, DX-3 and now the DX-3sp all in the shack at the same time.
It troubles me to see non US amps or tubes get hard feedback. Might have a lot to do with the LID at the controls.
I fix all types, seen all the abuse. Well, I traded my as new Alpha which is a very good amp for the DX-3sp. To my mind the changes from the DX-3 to the DX-3sp would have warranted it being called the DX-3.5 there is that much difference. Very lively, FU728F's give themselves a good account for their performance. Only change I have reservations about is the B+ supply, should have stuck with the 2 X DX-2 PS unit's, Only splitting hairs here, great amp from one that has owned many brands. This is not an amp for the plug and play ham, be warned, it's equipment that must match the quality of your installation.

ZL4IV Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2011 02:08 Send this review to a friend
The Ultimate  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I gave a lot of thought about giving this amp a '5' after the hours I spent fixing all the problems. What this did do was give me complete understanding of the design and how it works (GU78B). Mine has been modified in the 40m & below tank circuit with the DX-4 toroid fitted. I have many amps, Emtron DX-2, Alpha's, Dentron's and others, never been a fan of tetrodes but this bit of kit blows me away. Get the PS noise under control below the background (I found out how!) and it complements as the hearing aid for the deaf and there are plenty deaf out there. One point though, the amp does not make the station, the antenna does every time. This bit of kit is not for the faint hearted or dreamers, be warned.

ZL4IV

VK2UW Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2009 14:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Quality and Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have Purchased my 2nd Emtron amplifier and are very proud to both own and promote the quality of this Emtron product.
I have never had an issue at all with my amps or Rudi. My first being the DX-3 and it stood up to all tests both on air and into a dummy load. With the confidence in knowing that support was only a phone call away. This gave me the confidence in this product to purchase a 2nd bigger Emtron Amplifier. I have spoken to Rudi on a personal basis for quite a few years and so have others known to me, that is why I had no hesitation in purchasing not one but my 2nd Emtron Amplifier.

I have tested the emtron amplifiers into my homebrew dummy load. I built this using a 75ohm Carborundum Resistor and by tuning it back to 50.2ohms, also by using a blower on it for cooling allows for higher power to over 10.000 watts.

W0BUW Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2009 08:07 Send this review to a friend
DX-3SP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The most wonderful linear amp I have ever owned. It is the latest model from Emtron. Best powder coat I have seen. The wiring is impeccable, done by professionals. This amp has two Chinese FU 728F ceramic tubes that cost a little over $200.00 instead of $600.00 to $700.00 for other linear tubes. I bought it so I would have plenty of head room operating within legal limits. The tubes will last for 30 years.The president and ceo of the company, Rudi is another professional. He never failed to answer my e-mails or telephone calls, when there was a delay in getting the amp, because of high demand for this robust unit. Rudi even took me through the tune up procedure using tetrodes. Even under immense pressure, because of his unexpected sales, he always treats the custumer in with a postive attitude and understanding demeanor. I have had many linears in the past and recommend this amplifier with no qualifications at all. The Australian exchange rate is now in your favor. Buy an Emtron and be a happy ham. George, his US rep is building DX-1 and DX-2 in VA. 73, Boyd W0BUW

VK4TZL Rating: 0/5 May 5, 2009 02:18 Send this review to a friend
Poor Product Support  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Would I buy a DX3...Hell No ! Not after what I have just experienced. Back in early February, I was asked to service a faulty DX3 by the Owner ( I was previously an RF Tech for many years ). The DX3 was delivered to me with the advice that it had made a loud bang combined with a horrible smell...and had ceased functioning. I found that one Cap in the EHT Supply had blown open. That explained the smell and the fireworks. However, both EHT Modules were showing signs of significant heat damage, caused by the Capacitor equalizer resistors getting hot and burning the circuit board. Not wanting to reuse what appeared to be badly damaged boards, I rang Emtron and tried to purchase two replacements. " Ring back in a month " was the answer to my query...by the Company Owner ! So, I advised the Amps Owner that there would be over a month wait for parts. He wished to have the Amp back, so I cleaned up the mess, replaced all the Caps, checked all the equalizers and EHT Voltage sense resistors, and replaced the cleaned up EHT Modules...this time with some telfon sheet under the equalizers. The Amp lasted about one week of use on 160 Meters. It failed again. It was returned with the comment that it made a few crackling noises and stopped. This time, the Glitch Resistors had got so hot, they melted the solder that held them in place, and simply dropped into the bottom of the Amp ! This was a real first for me..I had never seen this happen before. After asking lots of questions around on the 'Net and with other experienced Hams, I came to the conclusion that I was probably getting RF back into the EHT Supply on 160 Meters..fair assumption or not ?
So...I beefed up the RF Bypassing with two 4700 pf Doorknobs on the cold side of the RF Choke, replaced the cooked Glitch Resistors, and sent it home...to have it fail a third time ! During this period, I had tracked down Dan, a Tech at Emtron, who offered a few ideas, but nothing concrete. This time, the Control Board had a large burnt patch in the middle of it, complete with vaporised tracks, and burnt resistors...in and around the Screen Regulator. So...the Control/Protection System did not work, and now I had a badly damaged board. Further emails to Emtron, and further non committal replies. I was then advised by Dan to contact Rudi, re a new Control Board. This I did, asking if it was Warranty or if not, how much for the board. Well, I'm still waiting..and now it has all gone quiet...no answer from either Rudi or Dan...and that is why I am posting this " Review "...of the worst product support I have ever been witness to. Over three months, and the poor Owner is still without this very expensive Amplifier. So...that was my experience of Emtron. Every person I spoke to in the USA who was EX Emtron Service/Support was somewhat less than enthusiastic about the product...and the Company. I have no idea what I'll do to try to help out the Owner and get this Lemon back operational...maybe a set of G3SEK Boards...at least they work !
Glenn

N6KB Rating: 2/5 Mar 8, 2009 14:34 Send this review to a friend
Customer support lacking  Time owned: more than 12 months
A great amplifier when it is working. A toroid in the tank circuit used on the lower bands can over heat, melting the plastic standoff insulator that supports it. This happened at the contest station I have been operating from. EMTRON has said they would replace the toroid. That was several contests ago. The amplifier has missed ARRL 160, Stew Perry, CQ 160 CW and several non 160 meter specific contests while waiting for the replacement.

YD1OJZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2009 06:46 Send this review to a friend
Heaby Duty Amp !! Great !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Using Emtron DX-3 for all of our contest since 2006. Our callsign is YE1ZAT.

Normally we use at least 2000 watts during contest (sometimes 48 hours) nonstop and even when we would like to break somebody pile up, run for 3500 watts. Very easy to tune up to 4000 watts without any doubt as everything are being protected in case there is any mistake during tuning.

Never have any problem with Emtron DX-3 since first time purchased in 2006. Meters are also very attractive and accurate.

Good products and really MUST to have for QRO station !!

Joz YD1JZ

PA3DUV Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2008 06:23 Send this review to a friend
Reliable amp, first class RF engineering  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Besides the DX4 (see my review) I also own two DX3 amplifiers. These units are mostly used for contesting. The amps are the latest versions, with a single GU84B in the final and the big mother C core transformer for the plate supply.

To start with the only disadvantage: it is backbreaking heavy, but I guess I'm getting too old.

Advantages: very reliable, very compact3 kW amplifier. Thanks to Rudi's tetrode addiction it provides 20 dB gain.

Tube replacement costs is 200 Euro which is very cheap for a 3 kW tube. This year at the Hamradio in Germany there were plenty for sale, so the supply seems to be ok.

In order to pump out the 2.5 kW of heat 2 fans are used, one pushing fan to pressurize the subchassis and one axial puller above the tube.
Yes, one can hear the fans running. Displacement of air makes noise, there is no way to change laws of physics.

Overall performance is great, standard QSK and great metering makes using this amp pure fun.

Recommended.

73, Dick
PA3DUV

PS: the new DX3b model is on its way, equipped with 2 x FU728 tetrodes it will generate 3500 watt out of the same box.

K7EC Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2005 21:19 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Best amp I have ever used! Very reliable!! It operates day in and day out!! Coasts along at 1500 watts out no sweat! Puts 3000 watts into a dummy load all day long key down! Puts 4000 watts out into a dummy load forever!! No strain, I'm certain that it could put out much more, but the extensive protection circuitry limits output to these levels to protect the tube. Speaking of the tube, a BRAND NEW one costs only $399 from Tom's Tubes. Half the cost of an 8877 and puts out a lot more power!! Super smooth tuning and no meter switching! A Pleasure to use!! It weighs 100 pounds!!