Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Directional: Yagi, quad, rotary dipole, LPD, etc | T.G.M. Communications Six Band MQ-26 2 element "Hybrid Quad" bea Help

Reviews Summary for T.G.M. Communications Six Band MQ-26 2 element "Hybrid Quad" bea
T.G.M. Communications Six Band MQ-26 2 element Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $369.95 US
Description: 6 Band Mini Beam hybrid "Quagi" Traps on the diamond quad reflector and traps also on dipole driven element.
More info: http://www3.sympatico.ca/tgmc/

You can write your own review of the T.G.M. Communications Six Band MQ-26 2 element "Hybrid Quad" bea.

WB2SZR Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2008 11:23 Send this review to a friend
Really Works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After several years of using a multiband inverted V at 60 feet supported by a tree, found a 50 foot AB-577 Tower ( highly recommended) and mounted a MQ-26, expecting a modest improvement. Was I suprised, by the performance of the MQ-26. First off the noise level improved 2 S units on my FT-2000, that alone was worth its weight in gold. While the Front to Back is not great, but what was specified, signals seemed to be 2 S units better then the inverted in all directions. So while some may call this a compromise antenna, I will take the 2 S units reduction in noise level and 2 S Units increase in gain anytime. I realize that there is no way the Antenna can produce 8 db of gain over my inverted V from a theortical stand point, but all I can say is that it did and does. I strongly recommend this antenna.

NB2N Rating: 4/5 Dec 7, 2008 09:04 Send this review to a friend
Between OK and good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used mine for about 2 years. It put out a good signal in the limited range where the SWR was acceptable. The SWR was affected when it rained. It is very well made. On receive it was not a particularly quiet antenna, owing to the fact that its front to back ratio was essentially 1:1. This was confirmed on several occasions using the 4U1UN beacon, which broadcasts 8 miles approx. west of my QTH. I replaced it with a Traffie hexbeam which is far quieter, and has a 16-20 db f/b ratio receiving 4U1UN - right on spec. If you absolutely do not have the room for anything else, then the TGM antenna is a reasonable choice and might be called a 4 or 5 considering its size - but I found it did not receive better than a dipole. I'd be curious to know if anyone has found a f/b ratio close to the manufacturers spec. In hindsight, I should have purchased the hexbeam to begin with, since I have sufficient room. I would score the TGM from OK to good, i.e., it a bit less than a 4.

WB8ISG Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2007 12:22 Send this review to a friend
an excellent antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Since my "restricted covenant" is the XYL, I needed a small profile antenna. Since this one looks like a TV antenna on steroids, it was acceptable--a full size beam, tower etc. was NOT.
The antenna arrived in a narrow long box--partially assembled and just a matter of repositioning items to get the majority together. The instructions are very sraightforward. The antenna is mounted on a fiberglas mast @40' via a chimney mount; an inverted "V" dipole is mounted lower on the same mast. The rotator is a heavy duty TV type and is very adequate for this antenna (and inexpensive on EBay). Performance is better than I expected--I'm quite critical, and having taught Physics and Astronomy at the local university, I tend to be very objective about wild performance claims. Since I run a lot of digital modes (PSK31, SSTV,etc.), you can actually see the difference in quality (less noise in SSTV images, very strong "waterfalls")with and without the beam, as well as very good directionality. There is no question I can pick up stations and work them better than with my dipole--New Zealand on 17M, most of Europe on 20m, etc. Where the signal may be unintelligble using the dipole, this beam will lift the signal enough to make an "impossible" station almost routine. Just yesterday while sending an SSTV pic to a US ham, an eastern Russian station broke in to tell me my signal was "5 and 8"! Unsolicited and the first time that has ever happened to me!
Remember, this is not a full size beam, but a great compromise. I'm very happy with this purchase, and Tom McKay (owner/manufacturer)is a pleasure to deal with (always cheerful and AVAILABLE). Don't hesitate to email me for more info--and I'd be glad to send you a few pics of my installation.

M0TNX Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2006 04:02 Send this review to a friend
2 years (almost!) later..  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just taken the tower over due to high winds forecast here on the coast, NEVER touched this antenna in nearly two years, It has stood up to 60 MPH constant winds, 100 MPH gusts... All the hardware is slightly tarnished, but with a quick wire wool up, it returns to shiny!!!

I have worked with some larger antennas since purchasing this QUALITY MADE mini beam, and sure the directivity and gain are better, but for a small (80 feet front to back) lot, this antenna has been worth every penny/cent paid.

(this is for the MQ1 Mini Beam)

MW0JZE Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2006 08:49 Send this review to a friend
So good get 2 of them!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi all,

Just been looking for some reviews on the Acom 1000 amp and thought I would also post my comments on my MQ 26 SR antenna. I have now had the beam up for 2 years and have 210 DXCC worked in this time (not enough time on radio due to starting my own business and moving house) from 20M up to 6M. Ok I have had a bit of help from my ranger 811H amp which helps a bit, but you still have to hear who you are talking to. The beam is up at 40 foot on a free standing tennamast over clear space with good take off all around, this also helps. I am so pleased I have just ordered the extra element to convert it to a MQ 36 SR to improve the ears on receive.

Have done quite a few tests with some local amateurs testing the directivity. At first I was disappointed but it was only 35 foot high to start but I found it was better at 40 foot, the swr was also improved by increasing the height. My tip to you if you are thinking about getting one of these is this, get it 36 to 40 foot above ground and in the clear, a few friends of mine have one of these on a lean to mast against the house and swr is altered when beaming over the house, this is also effecting the performance of the antenna. These friends are also that impressed that this doesnít bother them but I am a bit of a fussy bugger!

Most of my contacts are on 20m, 17m, and 15m I have plenty of contacts on 12m, 10m and 6m but letís not forget we are at the bottom of the cycle. In my log I have JA, VK, ZL, ZK1, K7C, 3Y0, CY9 and CY0 OK some are more exotic than other but you get the picture.

My final word is yes it is a compromise but a very good compromise, do not compare with a monobander or you will be disappointed, compare to any other multiband minibeam antenna and you will be impressed. Have a Carolina Windom 80 special up at 35 feet and it is deaf in comparison to the MG 26 SR! Have read lots of reviews on this antenna but not many people tell you how high it is set up etc, my advice again is 36 to 40 feet high and in the clear! This should also be applied to ALL antenna installations to get the best results, or a review is compromised.

G7USC Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2006 15:15 Send this review to a friend
Survived a 25 foot fall  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I've had my MQ26SR about 2 months now. I'm quite impressed with it, espically as it just survived a mast failure. The mast failed and sheared about 5 foot from the top this evening which meant the MQ26SR fell about 20 - 25 foot to the ground along with a stub mast, colinear, rotator and five foot of mast. It made quite a bang !
The only damage to this antenna was a few bent spokes and the 20m driven spoke snaped where it connects to the antenna.
So the damage has been Absolutely minimal!
Proformance when up is quite qood for a 2 element beam, with quite a bit of directivity even on 20.
FB ratio is what I would expect but at least I can work stations off the back of the beam as well.
Not had much DX recently due to poor band conditions/pileups but certainly geting good solid reports out to 3-4000 miles.
Well now that the antenna is down I'm going to tune it properly for parts of the bands i'm interested in. So my Antenna analyer is going to be busy in the near future :)

Tom this beam is Excellant! Very good workmanship. Solidly made.

Gary G7USC

2E0GMW Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2006 13:49 Send this review to a friend
SO FAR SO GOOD!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
NOT HAD THE MQ26 TO LONG BUT SO FAR SO GOOD, FIND IT VERY VERY GOOD FOR IT'S SIZE IT'S NO X7 BUT I HAVE HAD GREAT RESULTS FROM THIS ANTENNA WITH SOME GREAT DX CONTACTS I WOULD NOT HAVE EVEN HEARD ON MY OLD VERTICAL MA5V FROM CUSHCRAFT
I LIVE IN A BUILT UP AREA SO CAN'T UPSET THE CURTON TWITCHERS TOO MUCH AND THIS ANTENNA HAS NOT HAD ANY COMPLAINTS!
PERFORMANCE IS WHAT I EXPECTED EXELENT!
I BAUGHT THIS ANTENNA SECOND HAND ONLY 3 MONTH OLD FROM AN ESTATE SO WAS PART ASEMBLED FOR ME, SO I HAD NO TUNING TO DO JUST UP AND AWAY! I GIVE IT A 5!!

K6AB Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2006 22:29 Send this review to a friend
Does Everything I Hoped For  Time owned: more than 12 months
A few years ago, my wife and I moved into a townhouse development that had a total prohibition on antennas. However, all was not lost. Our single-story unit has a 5 foot façade around the flat roof which hides the A/C unit and other stuff. I figured it could hide an antenna, too. Our unit also has an interior atrium open to the sky, which made access to the roof easier and more private.

I installed one of these remarkable 6-band MQ-26 Hybrid Quad beams on a short mast with a TV antenna rotor. The beam is 15-16 feet above the ground on one side of the house. The ground drops off quickly on the other side down a hill. It's not an ideal location, but the antenna is as high as it can go without being visible.

My HF rig is an Icom 756 and I've been very happy with the results. The antenna's F/B ratio is around 2 S units. I can't quantify the gain, but I'm able to work a lot of the stations I want.

The only issue I had with this antenna was that it was a little finicky to initially tune. The length adjustment of the spokes is very critical. Additionally, the 2:1 SWR bandwidth on some of the bands is rather narrow, so a decent tuner is necessary to work the entire band. The 756's built-in tuner handles it.

But those are small points. Admittedly, this antenna is not a six element Yagi at 90 feet, but I'm extremely happy that the MQ-26 allows me to stealthily pursue the joy of HF ham radio with a directional gain antenna in my antenna-prohibited community.

G6YTB Rating: 2/5 Feb 28, 2006 09:15 Send this review to a friend
20metres poor performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought this antenna owing to restrictions for antenna size after reading different reviews on this antenna on this website decided to purchase one assembled as per instructions the only thing i did different from the instructions was to check antenna in final operating position unable to set a resonable swr reading on meter of over 5 tried adjusting the tunable spokes makes no difference to swr on 20 mtrs i can hear more stations and stronger signal on my half size g5rv
17 to 10metres performs quite well with resonable swr 1:3:1
For the size of the antenna 20metres has to be a compromise

GW3XCR Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2005 11:17 Send this review to a friend
sold it by mistake!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Had MQ-26 antenna for 6months.Xyl not happy bunny,so forced to sell antenna/wife.Made big mistake,sold wrong one!!.Seriously though,grat antenna,resonant fx changes when wet(inUK), but really pulls in signals.Better by far than MA5 Mini Beam,
Just reduce price in UK,and would sell shed fulls,!