Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Swan SW-240 Help

Reviews Summary for Swan SW-240
Swan SW-240 Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $495.00?
Description: Single side band transciever

You can write your own review of the Swan SW-240.

KE7SZC Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2016 12:42 Send this review to a friend
An excellent old radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 240 was acquired in a lot of old Swans that I'd gotten for quite a fair price. Being uncertain of it's condition, I'd re-capped the radio prior to powering up. To my joy, it fired right up, and after replacing the 6DQ5 final, it coasts along at 120 watts on all three bands.. The construction is simple and straightforward, and documentation of voltages and resistances seems to be a part of Swan's continuing legacy. I have many Swan radios, this is my favorite for many reasons, including it's simplicity and ease of operation.

KE7SZC Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2015 12:01 Send this review to a friend
I love mine!  Time owned: more than 12 months
To say the least, this old rig was easy to fix, and a ball to operate! Don't let the price of tubes slow you down, these guys are rock-solid, and the VFO is fairly steady... Don't deny yourself the experience!

W5CRY Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2010 14:49 Send this review to a friend
Oldie but goodie  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my Swan-240 new, in about 1964 and it continues to operate flawlessly today as when new.
Anyone wanting a basic rig, who enjoys the old Glow Plug tubes and provides something you can actually work on if needed, being all discrete components and not the tiny surface mounts of today's technology. Also operate a Swan-350. Used mostly to check into the Swan User Net on Sundays.

W4WFB Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2009 13:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Old Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Forty Seven years ago I had a Swan SW-240. It was such a good radio then, I decided to visit the nostalgia of "yesteryear". I purchased one on Ebay that was listed as a "project" radio. This radio was in fairly good condition with no mods. I believe the radio had not been used in many years. It was a surprise that all the tubes checked out good. I powered up the Swan SW-117AC power supply slowly with a Variac. The power supply and transceiver slowly came to life. After replacing some screws and resoldering some connections in the VFO compartment, the radio became as good as the one I had in 1963. The SW-240 was well constructed in its day and was nicely hand wired. The VFO is not "rock stable", but it was not rock stable when new either. Back then everyone drifted a little bit (except those who had KWM-2s). After a thirty minute warm-up, it is stable enough for delightful QSOs. Audio reports I have received have been complimentary - clean and crisp with a D-104 mike. This is still a fun radio. I wonder if someone a half century from now will find my K3s to be this nice.

KE5GFJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2008 08:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio and warms the shack, too  Time owned: more than 12 months
My SW-240 was given to me by an Elmer who is now a silent key. He had not used it in several years. It fired up first thing and works like new. You have to learn to tune these old rigs but once you do they are a lot of fun to operate. Puts out a lot of heat so it warms up the shack while you talk. Has a definate "footprint" to those listening. I added an Astatic D-104 mic. Makes a great station that is hard to beat both on transmit and recieve. Long live "Radios that glow!"

VE4HAM Rating: 3/5 Mar 27, 2006 20:57 Send this review to a friend
Good Old Swan  Time owned: months
Yeah, good old Swan. Still running up to snuff as new and the power out still beats a whole mess of rigs. At almost 300 watts out that's a 1/3 of a gallon. Still using mine today, although replaced some cmpacitors for temperature conpensation and added a really super quiet cooling fan. Like then, like over all the years, it has benn racking up contacts galore and when the band conditions open up with favorable sunsport activity, this rig can really punch out a signal alright. Old timers can really pick out that tube signal as if it's got a definite "footprint" to it, and they love it. Draws them into QSOs as well. Can't count how many QSL's I get to this day using my nice looking old "unChina" Swan, handwired in one of the most prosperous times of this country, the way it should have stayed.

KD6DXA Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2005 01:46 Send this review to a friend
My main rig for 14 years now.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using my Swan 240 as my primary rig now for fourteen years. It was originally my grandmother's and it has been mine since she passed away in 1997. I can't priase this rig highly enough. Sure, it drifts all over the place; but I have always received incredible signal reports, even in bad conditions. I love the nice warm audio it puts out, and it is still going strong after 40 years on its original tubes. I love it so much that I just purchased a Swan 350 rather than a newer rig for my second HF rig. I have many a happy hour logging CW QSOs on 40 and 20 meters with this rig! Makes for a nice conversation piece on the air, too!

AB5GU Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2005 22:04 Send this review to a friend
Tubes forever  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 of the Swan 240 tribanders. They are 40 years old and still pumping out the qso's. I keep one set up on 20m and one on 40m and use a Swan 175 on 75 meters, and a Swan 1011 on 10 meters. If anyone runs into a Swan 115 (single band 15 meter rig)for sale, let me know and I'll be set up across the board. Let's see how many of todays rigs make to 2045 and are still working!!

K6SDW Rating: 4/5 Mar 28, 2004 00:05 Send this review to a friend
Cool radio in its time!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ran a Swan 240 in my old Nash Rambler using a Heathkit 12vdc supply (ah, dating meself!! now). Drifted all over the band until it warmed up. A wild drive tuning up the rig while driving, but always great audio reports....kinda miss the old stuff at times.

Cheers all!

WB4QNG Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2004 23:09 Send this review to a friend
Decent old rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The sw-240 is a 3 band hf ssb transceiver built in the early 60's. It has 20,40, and 80 meter bands. It was based on Swans mono banders 100 series radios. For a 40 year old radio it is not bad. The reciever is OK. No s meter. Good audio reports on transmit. The most complaints about these rigs is that they drift but after a 30 minute warm up mine seem stable enough. If you see one of these rigs cheap less than $150 with power supply and mic. and you can see it work I would suggest you pick it up. It would be an OK rig for some one on a limited budget or as a backup rig. I use mine as a backup rig. While there is not much comparison between it and a modern transceiver it will get you on the air
My 5 is for a 40 year old radio. If I was putting up against a modern rig I would give it a 2