Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-50S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-50S
Kenwood TS-50S Reviews: 79 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $749.00
Description: The compact TS-50S packs a hefty punch.
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0868.html

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-50S.

AK6ZZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2014 06:22 Send this review to a friend
Great inexpensive mobile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just picked up a TS50 from a ham in town for $125 that works great. I quickly installed it into my truck using the existing HF infrastructure I once had installed for a more significant mobile and it was plug and play. I feel now I have the right amount of investment in my mobile system. A couple quick checks and I made some contest SSB contacts using mid power 50W this weekend to Estonia, Canada, US on 20m and one post contest contact to Japan on 10m last evening. Overall thrilled with how the TS50 rig works. I am using a combination of hamsticks and a frankenantenna of a 6m hamstick and a super antenna vertical coil. Believe it or not it tunes from 40 to 10m. Mobile in motion is only the hamsticks because the super antenna would break apart at highway speeds. Best small investment in ham radio in quite a while.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2013 23:11 Send this review to a friend
Still GREAT! {:>)  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well I now own my 3rd TS-50.As in a review I did several years ago I still think this is the simplest HF rig I've ever owned base or mobile.I us the one I have now just for when I'm goofing off & not running the amplifier or main rigs & HF yagi(756 PROII & 746 PRO).It works well with the Antron 99 vertical at 30 ft & an MFJ-945E tuner.I just enjoy playing with it & even with the stock MC-47 hand microphone I get great audio reports.I also use a ClearSpeech DSP Speaker with this unit & it's a BIG PLUS since the TS-50 is a bare bones rig but well worth what one can be picked up for these days.I'm still an ICOM Man but boys & girls I love the TS-50 for an all around HF mobile or base rig that just works & it works well.Kenwood should start making the TS-50 again & just add a filter or two & it would be a WINNER all over again.Pick you up one & you won't be sorry you did.It's a FUN little All Mode HF radio & ham radio is suppose to be FUN.{:>)

VK2IN Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2013 10:50 Send this review to a friend
for the price - awesome!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If your on a budget dont even bother with anything else. Its small light weight 3kg does 100 watts and has virtually no menus with a fantastic RX to boot!
Do yourself a favour and buy one! Its THAT good.

AG6RN Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2013 12:35 Send this review to a friend
Can't be beat for the money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I picked up a TS 50 with the matching AT 50 tuner this past summer for $500 from a friend. I got it right when 10 meters was opening up and worked the world from a 10M ham stick on my Chevy Avalanche. Europe, Asia, even broke through pile ups on some rare stations (calling out mobile after your call sign helps).

Large easy to read display, even with the sun on it, no need to go into menus once operating, and 100 watts out on 160-10 makes it the perfect mobile rig for me. I also love that when changing functions, it gives an audible cue in CW so that you don't have to check the display

KG4FET Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2012 04:47 Send this review to a friend
Great bare bones HF rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This was purchased to keep from using my FT450AT in the mobile. The 450 is just to big for comfortable operation in our Tuscan. For a bare bones HF radio this is one heck of a rig. I haven't had it but a few days but initial impressions are the receiver is nearly as good as my FT450AT with all the "toys". Transmit audio is very good on the stock mic. Everyone I have talked to has told me it sounds like me. It is a nice compact radio for mobile operation and with the quick release MMB it's easy to pull in and out of the mobile. I don't run hf mobile often so it doesn't stay in there. With the AT50 this is a very good base/portable too. On the bench with a Mystery hooked up the AT50 has tuned 160-10 with no balks except 15M before I hooked a ground up.
Cons: No extra filtering, added a Autek QF1A on the bench and BIG improvement.
You can wire and after market mic but you will loose a bunch of functions
over all this is a great first rig, or as a backup. It has been used more then my 450 the last few days because of the AT and the ease of use. If you have a chance to get one do so!

KJ6ELV Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2012 15:17 Send this review to a friend
Love this radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got this as a first HF rig for about $300 after I became licensed, all I can say is that I love it! It is small and has all the features you need.

KD5TXX Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2012 20:10 Send this review to a friend
great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned multiple ts50s. I always come back. Just an all around great hf rig. Tough built and sounds great. Just last week had it running off a condo balcony and worked all over. Easy to use. Cant say enough about it. I prefer it over my.706 and 857. It is that good.

MW1CFN Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2012 09:43 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Rig!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought a lightly-used second-hand TS-50 off ebay for 270 to see if I really would enjoy amateur radio, having never transmitted in over 15 years of holding a licence.

This box of tricks has worked the globe with only delta loops or verticals in a few months of operating, only once got a not-so-good audio report and then from a very elderly gentleman who confessed to having a broken antenna!

If I could get my hands on a shelf full of TS-50s to keep me going for the next 50 years, I would gladly snap them up! True, no bells and whistles, but most of those are just justifications for keeping the prices up!

The only bad point with mine is the tuning doesn't respond to fast/slow hand inputs, so I just use 'scan' in combination with the tuning wheel to achieve the same.

They call it a living legend, and that's what it is.

KA3ZHX Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2012 21:27 Send this review to a friend
An excellent radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had this radio for 90 days now...using it everyday...I have worked SA and Eur on a dipole with no issue during contests on SSB. I get excellent audio reports on both AM and SSB. For my application, rag chewing it is an excellent product.

K6SDW Rating: 4/5 Jan 16, 2012 15:00 Send this review to a friend
Like a tank  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just replaced the internal backup battery in this rig, a 5-min job.

TS-50 is a tank, built solid and a bit heavy.

By today's standards for HF rigs, this is a very basic radio, no DSP or bells and whistles which makes it perfect for my needs as an HF rig in our truck for camping.

Two cons: No built-in keyer for CW and the receiver is definitely "noisier" than the new stuff out there.

I paid $350 for a clean one and it came with the much desired YK-107c CW filter which is no longer in production and damn expensive now!!

Cheers all!