Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | DX Engineering Radial Plate Help

Reviews Summary for DX Engineering Radial Plate
DX Engineering Radial Plate Reviews: 42 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $54.50
Description: Stainless Steel Radial Plate
More info: http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-radp-3

You can write your own review of the DX Engineering Radial Plate.

KI7M Rating: 4/5 Apr 18, 2017 21:07 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Hello,
I have had lots of antennas over the years, even longer than I've been a ham since 1977. Quads, yagi's, verticals, dipoles, trap dipoles, 2 meter mag mounts...you name it, I've probably tried one. Verticals work especially for DX on the low HF bands of 40/80/160 for DX.
This radial plate is good and provides for all the radials you could want. Even if you are a real purist and try for 120 of them. The most I've had was about 55 on a Hy-Tower. Could be a real killer of an antenna for DX.

I've been installing a Comtek 4 square and believe me if you don't like putting in radials you don't wants one. That is a huge job just doing the recommended 32 for each vertical. Now I am putting up another (new) Hy-Gain AV-18HT Hy-tower and being in the lower part of the HF spectrum I use electric galvanized fence wire. 14 guage in this instance that should last as long as I do.
But one piece of advice I'd give about the radials. Doing the 4 Square I can't tell you how many times I had to repair/redo the crimps provide by DXE on connections. Going by the DX Engineering recommendation on use of bolt, lock washer, crimp connector, flat washer, split lock washer, nut before crimping the wire on is a 'royal pain the the putush'. You can't get your wire crimpers on when the assembly is mounted on the radial plate. Oh, also a pain in the back.
Try this, use electric fence wire (or similar un-insulated wire) and double the length. Then twist a loop in the middle and use that to connect to the radial plate bolts. Still can be a pain but much less of one. And while some people may say the galvanized electric fence wire will eventually rust I haven't seen that, especially for the 14 gauge. And maybe try just a bolt, lock washer, radial wire twisted, flat washer, lock washer and nut combination. You also have the length for a second set of radials on one bolt if you do it right.
And the DX Engineering radial plate provides all you need to have a terrific vertical. Just expect to have a sore back.
Terry, KI7M

K9RE Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2014 07:13 Send this review to a friend
Just do it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used verticals in the past with poor results. I called stations and most of the time, they never came back. Then I decided to get serious about putting in a radial system and I found out about the DX Engineering Radial Plate. Yes, it costs a little more but it's worth it. As others have said, it is a work of art! It makes the job installing radials so much easier.

I recommend getting the S/S U-bolt to attach it to the antenna base. Mount the plate about 1" above the ground to keep it out of the dirt and make the task of attaching wires easier. I also got the Nevr-Seez for the S/S hardware. The plate arrived well-packed in a very sturdy box. The folks at DX Engineering were nice on the phone. They also gave me 20 DX Bucks to use on my next order (that's 20 dollars off), which I've already done.

I have 32 radials of various lengths from 10 to 25 feet in length. I used #14 THHN insulated stranded house wire from Home Depot. A 500' spool costs about $40 and will give you enough wire to make a fairly decent system. Check the articles by Rudy Severns in QST and QEX for lots of good information on radials.

If you want your vertical antenna to perform well, don't scrimp on the radial system. This plate will make it easy to install the wires and will result in a neat, long lasting installation.

N2DY Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2014 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As other reviewers have said, this radial plate is a work of art. It is more impressive in person than in pictures on the DX Engineering web site. It appears as though it should last for a very, very long time. I am glad that the reviews were right on target and that I purchased this radial plate. I am using it on a 160 meter inverted L. You can't go wrong with this plate if you need one for a vertical or simply want enhanced grounding.

N3HSH Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2014 17:39 Send this review to a friend
Strong and Good Looking  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
No, I wasn't describing myself with the title of this review, but the DX Engineering radial plate. This thing is a work of art. It is thick, well made and a quality product that will provide years of quality service.

KC7YRA Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2013 07:02 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am a bit of a snob when it comes to commercially made metal products. The radial plate did not disappoint.

High quality metal precisely cut and broke (bent).

If you want an easy way to attach a large number of radials AND you want it to last for decades, this is the product that will do it.

W0DT Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2013 20:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent quality   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Unit is an excellent product, construction, material and looks.
Love it

K8JH Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2013 17:44 Send this review to a friend
Rugged top quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was pleased with the precise and durable manufacturing of this plate. I attached 20 - 65 ft radials, also pre-made from DX Engineering. I was well satisfied with the quality of materials. This radial installation will last for years.

WW1I Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2013 15:11 Send this review to a friend
Simply the best....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used these with several vertical HF antennas. There is no reason to waste your time with cheap aluminum plates for a few bucks less. This is a great quality plate made of heavy stainless and laser CNC cut. Looks great and works even better.

N1UK Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2013 12:42 Send this review to a friend
Quality Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used four of these plates on my 40m 4 Square. They are well made of stainless steel, will fit a wooden 4x4 or 6x6 post as well as other types of pole and post. They provide attachment points for the radial wires as well as a pre-drilled bracket for an SO-239.

Excellent product.

KT4EP Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2012 07:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have never used a ground vertical and built my first using this plate with 72 radials. This is a quality item. No need to jury-rig wires and connections, just use their plate with provided hardware. Do it right the first time and get this radial plate.

Also, I had never ordered anything from DX Engineering. I ordered this plate and some other items on a Wednesday evening via Internet and had them Friday afternoon and the radial plate on the ground Saturday. Then I ordered some other items a week later with the same prompt delivery.