Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | LDG External 4:1 and 1:1 baluns Help

Reviews Summary for LDG External 4:1 and 1:1 baluns
LDG External 4:1 and 1:1 baluns Reviews: 34 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $30
Description: External 4:1 and 1:1 baluns
More info: http://www.ldgelectronics.com/products.html

You can write your own review of the LDG External 4:1 and 1:1 baluns.

K4LNX Rating: 2/5 Nov 29, 2007 22:00 Send this review to a friend
poorly assembeled  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I received the 4:1 balun as a gift.

Right out of the box:

1. One of the two (why only two? there are 4 holes) screws that attach the coax connector was not attached. The screw was loose in the packaging box and the washer and nut were loose inside the balun. I might have worried about this causing a short, except...

2. Two wires coming out of the coax connector (center and shield) were touching before they even got to the toroid. I'm not an expert on baluns, but I don't think it's supposed to be this way. I separated them myself.

3. As with the previous reviewer, the internals weren't applied to the sticky tape, I had to do that myself.

All these things were fixable (lucky the parts didn't fall out of the box). For what it is and the price they charge it probably should have been better constructed.

Their tuners look great and I really wanted to like this balun. So far it's working (not much to break, really). Maybe I'd better seal up the binding posts too.

KF4KSE Rating: 2/5 Nov 29, 2007 20:41 Send this review to a friend
Needs Improving...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased new and found the coil had seperated from the "sticky tape" inside and a wire had broken free form the center conductor. Definitely needs to be improved.

KG4RUL Rating: 3/5 Sep 6, 2006 15:07 Send this review to a friend
Hardware needs improvement!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used a 4:1 balun outdoors after waterproofing. Unfortunately, the binding posts rusted after 6 months of exposure. These need to be made of brass or similar material to be used in this environment.

Dennis KG4RUL

NS6Y_ Rating: 4/5 Sep 6, 2006 13:35 Send this review to a friend
seems to work  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have one, using it indoors and it does improve the indoor antenna performance. It's well made and does indeed look water-resistant, if I were going to water-proof it, it looks like it would be easy to do. Neat little balun!

XE1UFO Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2006 11:57 Send this review to a friend
Works fine!  Time owned: more than 12 months
These baluns are a great adition to any shack where multi-band operation is desired from simple wire antennas or doublets. They are also great for portable and QRP work. (But they handle up to 200 watts.)

It is clear that some of the reviewers here never took the time to read the 4-page manual that comes with these baluns. The manual clearly states that they are 'water-resistant' as supplied, but then on page 4 it tells you how to fully water-proof these units, if that is your desire. The whole process takes about a minute. I have read the instruction manual, followed directions and guess what? I have no complaints!

N1KSN Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2006 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Works for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used one of the LDG 4:1 baluns on the outside of a board replacing a basement window. This location is sheltered a bit by an overhang, but I took the trouble to use some coax seal to try and weatherproof the box. Three years and no problems.

KB0XR Rating: 4/5 Apr 6, 2006 05:16 Send this review to a friend
Works for Me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use mine to match an indoor zip cord dipole to my SGC 2020ADSP2 via a SGC autotuner. Works fine.

OZ5ABO Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2006 23:42 Send this review to a friend
Works OK for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this 2 years ago. I use it only indoor. I have not tried to disassembled it.
I have no complaints regarding functionallity nor quality yet.

K7VO Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2006 22:58 Send this review to a friend
No problems here for the first year  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my 4:1 balun to allow me to use a wire antenna with a Z-11 tuner. That means mine is indoors in the shack. Nothing is loose and it works just fine one year later. I have no complaints at all. The LDG 4:1 balun is small, compact, and does what it was designed to do.

W3PH Rating: 2/5 Apr 5, 2006 18:34 Send this review to a friend
Not the best construction  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have one of each (4:1, 1:1) - the 4:1 was flakey from day 1 - I opened the plastic case, and indeed the ferrite core isn't secured to anything other than the wires its wound with, one of which had come loose from the SO-239 connector. Soldered it and it's OK now ...