Reviews Categories | Receivers: Weather Alert | Old Radio Shack WeatherCube Help

Reviews Summary for Old Radio Shack WeatherCube
Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$10 or so at a flea market
Description: The old cubical WeatherCube with analog tuning

You can write your own review of the Old Radio Shack WeatherCube.

W6GDK Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2009 16:39 Send this review to a friend
Great for 2 meter code practice  Time owned: more than 12 months
I taught several novice license classes, and we converted 20 of these to receive the 2 meter band. We then sent code practice on the local repeater so each student could practice at home. Since the cubes were so cheap, if one got lost or missing, we weren't out a great deal of money. Still have a couple that keep on working.

Kind of caught the local Radio Shack store off guard when I asked for 20 of them.

The modifications were published in QST,and one could add squelch among other things. We found that they are so broad band, they would pick up several repeaters at once. Would also be good as an LTZ Alert system for a repeater since they use low current and run forever.

SWL377 Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2008 12:03 Send this review to a friend
Just keeps going  Time owned: more than 12 months
I made an AC adapter for mine and have used it almost continuously since 1970. I leave it ON as the push bar switch is really noisy. I just turn volume up when I need WX and down otherwise. This puppy has probably be on for 300,000 hours and still works fine. Do I feel bad about my contribution to global warming by running it continuously? Yeah, a tiny bit. Maybe I should set it up to run on solar. It wouldnt be hard. It pulls in some distant stations better than my modern Uniden scanner which is puzzling/amazing.

KD7CAO Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2007 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Still the best Wx Radio I have  Time owned: more than 12 months
Surprisingly this radio works better than any others that I have. Just wish it had SAME!

W2NSF Rating: 4/5 Sep 4, 2004 08:42 Send this review to a friend
Keeps on ticking!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Second-hand report. My brother-in-law has one of these and everytime I visit him, I can't resist pressing the button to hear the latest WX. I'm amazed the thing still works after all these years. 'Way to go, Radio Shack!

N1XV Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2004 14:04 Send this review to a friend
Excellent little radio!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I always wanted one of these! Simulated woodgrain plastic with a big Ivory coloured plastic button on the top! I finally found one at a thrift store about a year ago for 1.00! And for that price your REALLY cant go wrong! 73! Vaughn-N1XV

NS6Y Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2004 07:05 Send this review to a friend
Fun in a little cube  Time owned: more than 12 months
Here's why this old analog WeatherCube is great! You can not only listen to the weather when the battery's good, but as the battery wears down, you'll find it goes broadband and you can find out what interesting VHF traffic there is in your area. Put it on a variable power supply and you can switch between regular mode and wideband mode! All in all a lot of fun for $10 or so!