Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | MFJ - 385 Deluxe Communications Station Speaker Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ - 385 Deluxe Communications Station Speaker
MFJ - 385 Deluxe Communications Station Speaker Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $$39.95
Description: MFJ-385 Deluxe Communication Station Speaker
This is a good speaker it sound good with the Icom 746 Pro. I com pair it up agents my Icom sp-21. The mfj-385 is a great sounding speaker. For $39.95 with a 30 day money back & Protected by MFJ's famous No Matter What one year limited warranty. MFJ will repair or replace the speaker no matter what for a full year. Mfj -385 sound great with the Icom 746 pro. I like the speaker. IT sound great.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-385

You can write your own review of the MFJ - 385 Deluxe Communications Station Speaker.

W8STU Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2011 13:22 Send this review to a friend
SOUNDS GREAT TO ME FOR THE MONEY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Greetings,

I just received this speaker today. I was kinda skeptical at first. I read the reviews after I ordered the speaker and was worried if I made a mistake. I was surprised it did not come with a cord. Thank goodness I had one from an old speaker and just cut it off and used it. Once I hooked it up to my Yaesu FT-950 I was pleasantly surprised. I think it sounds great on AM/SSB/CW. I have no complaints since it only costs $36.00 from www.gigaparts.com... It sounds all most as good as my Yaesu SP-8 speaker. I have no complaints at all. If you are on a budget and would like a nice looking speaker and performs great, the MFJ-385B speaker is for you. If you have a big wallet buy an expensive speaker. I would highly recommend the MFJ-398B speaker. Thanks in advance. 73, STU de W8STU

WN5T Rating: 2/5 May 8, 2005 19:37 Send this review to a friend
Orignal:GREAT; B rev.: not so good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of the MFJ-385 (original version) speakers. One of them I have had since they came to market. The original version is a really nice unit in a faux-dark wood enclosure with a black grill. I love to listen to just about anything on it. It has been used with a TS-830, an FT-920, an IC-746Pro, and now an IC-746. The response is quite clear and, to my ears, well-balanced between high and low frequencies. I know, it is not one of the JBL Studio Monitors I got used to using in a production studio, but for communication work, I think it is great...and a great value. I would rather use the original version than a Sound Sweet. (Yes, I have used them... One of my friends has three and I am a frequent visitor to his shack.) So, for CW, SSB, AM, FM it's as close to a 5/5 as possible for MFJ, especially considering its $40 price point. (For those who eschew dollar value comparisons, my vote for the MFJ-385 (original version) is based on what I hear, not what I might pay for another speaker. And, no, I won't pay $100 for a speaker for the ham shack. For the HI-FI or for a studio, hey, I'll be sooooo happy to break the bank.)

Now, the reason for the 2/5 rating. Just last week I was introduced to the MFJ-385B. The B revision was quite a disspointment. Yes, it is black to match most of the newer rigs, but I like the faux-wood finish on the old one. The kicker is that in comparing it to my Radio Shack 4" communication speaker, I'll take my $15 speaker over MFJ's new and improved $40 one any day. The B revision is awful for AM, so-so for FM, and only good for SSB, IMHO, when all one wishes to hear is a very restricted passband. Okay, for a speaker to use in a contest, perhaps. Hey, I use headphones in that situation anyway. For CW, it really doesn't matter. In fact, I will liken its response to a Midland or Motorola mobile speaker...but requiring much higher drive.

In summary, I find the B revision to be poor sounding (with respect to the audio frequency range I want to hear from a speaker used for HF), inefficient (see note in earlier review about required drive level), and aesthetically displeasing. I considered the original unit to be the bright spot in MFJ's catalog. Now, the B revision just blends in.

BTW, if anyone decides to get rid of an MFJ-385 (original version only), I've got a buyer.

73 es gud DX,
Michael
WN5T

KC5LVW Rating: 2/5 May 8, 2005 18:30 Send this review to a friend
A Sad Tale  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Once again, MFJ can take a GREAT product & amke it substandard. Anyone purchasing a MFJ-385 today might be surpised when they get the MFJ-385B. Evidently MFJ could no-longer get the above pictured speaker form whoever makes it and have made a substittion which is not like-for-like. This speaker is smaller, is black with silver trim and has a removable grill. I put it up against the original and a SounSweet and is horrible. Bass response low end has been raised considerably to a higher roll-off and the efficiency has been reduced resulting in a lot higher drive level. It is still selling for the same price as the previous but customers are going to be disappointed.

AA5CH Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2005 20:52 Send this review to a friend
A good value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased one of these a couple of years ago and have been very impressed with it. I have used it with several different radios on SSB, FM, AM, and CW. The performance has been good in all circumstances.

W9CSL Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2005 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Sounding  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a really nice sounding speaker - I use it with a Kenwood TS-570SG & am very pleased with the quality of the audio sound.

I run mostly cw & find this one very pleasant to listen to, have had two or three of the Kenwood speakers, but prefer this one, think will pickup another one to use with my two meter fm rig.

Terry W9CSL