Reviews Categories | Ham Radio education & exam prep materials | KB6NU Technician License Exam Study Guide Help

Reviews Summary for KB6NU Technician License Exam Study Guide
KB6NU Technician License Exam Study Guide Reviews: 18 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Free!
Description: Downloadable study guide for the technician license exam. Includes 6 practice exams. It only has 12 pages of actual material, yet answers every question in the question pool.
More info: http://www.kb6nu.com

You can write your own review of the KB6NU Technician License Exam Study Guide.

REMOVED_EHAM_JUSTICE Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2006 16:26 Send this review to a friend
Great, But Needs Update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This Study Guide is listed at the bottom on eHam's reviews,but its hard to ignore when there are 18 reviews and the rating is still a 5, so I checked it out. I was always a SWL and for many years thought about studying for my ticket, but never got motivated enough (maybe it was just fear of all the work required).

After clicking on the link at the top of the review, I printed out the Guide (16 pages of study material plus 6 Practice Exams). It was the weekend so I decided to spend the start of my Sunday studying for my tech ticket. The first page is a general intro, but it also contains some things which are asked on the test, so you need to actually study that intro page as well. Next is a list of the topics and an approximation of how much time it should take to study each section. Next comes Basic Electronics, then Radio Waves, Equipment, Operating Practice and Safety.

The best thing about the whole guide is that its all been very simplified; you get just what you need to pass the no-code technician test, without a ton of useful information that you'll probably want to learn later on. If you're reading reviews on eHam.net you probably have enough basic knowledge about radio waves and propogation, and maybe electronic components so those parts should be just a refresher for you. Operating Practice and Safety (such as RF radiation) may be the thing you need to get a handle on.

I found W8BBS about three weeks before the next testing session in my area, so my goal was to pass on the first try. I did all the practice exams, plus a couple of more here on eHam.net and passed all of them (the last two being 100%), so I was very confident when I went in.

Funny thing, when I opened up the exam and read the first two questions, I was taken by suprise as they asked about things which I had not even seen mentioned in W8BBS. At first I thought I was given the General Exam, but then I looked at the front of the booklet and the date was 2-1-2006. The W8BBS Guide I printed out three weeks before was for the July 1, 2003 test!

Fortunately, thinking over what I did learn with W8BBS helped my reasoning and I was able to deduce what I believed to be the correct answers to these and a few more curveballs during the exam, and I ended up getting only 4 wrong and passing.

I do need to email Bruce Spratling and thank him for his great study guide, but also ask him to please update it for the new exam.

LU1HQV Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2006 10:13 Send this review to a friend
Just four hs study.. and get my licence!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Past saturday I passed my technician exam thanks to this material.
Just four hs study and get +90% 35 questions.
Very, very, very good material, easy to understand!!!
..and free... thanks you W8BBS!

KC2PFV Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2006 22:28 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Guide! Tech in 3-4 Days!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found out about a one day ham radio class on the Tuesday prior to the test on Saturday. I quickly did a google search and found the W8BBS Technician License guide. I read through it slowly, taking a few hours to let the material sink in. I can honestly say that when I arrived for the class (which required 4 weeks of home study!!!!) I was ready to take the test. But I sat through it and knew practically EVERYTHING already because of this guide. This guide is simply amazing. I scored a 100% (35 out of 35 questions correct) on the exam. If it wasn't for this guide, there is a big chance that I would not be a licensed amateur radio operator right now. I will recommend this guide to anyone for as long as the data within it's pages is relevant. And the best thing of all? IT IS 100% FREE! Go download this now if you want to receive a basic understanding of amateur radio operations / electric theory and become a no code tech in no time.

UNSIGNED Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2005 12:00 Send this review to a friend
sufficient, efficient, and great!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
if you want the shortest, most efficient (and cheapest!!) way to study and pass the novice /element 2 exam, this is IT. this study guide hits exactly the material you need to know, and nothing more. over the course of 10 years i quickly stalled out several times trying to read the ARRL books. after finally finding this guide, i just passed the novice with 100% (thanks to w8bbs), and then the general (thanks to HamTestOnline), with about 10 hours of study. many great thanks to bruce for producing this excellent guide.

W5USJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2005 04:34 Send this review to a friend
Great guide -- better than memorizing Q&A  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Browsing around for study material for a couple of prospective Tech's, I found the W8BBS study guide.

This guide actually teaches the needed material in a concise informative way. The material is presented in easy-to-read logical order and practice tests are provided to assure successful results.

From my perspective as a VE, this is the study guide I'll provide to prospective new hams. In additioin to the tech study guide, W8BBS also has a nicely organized version of the Technician question pool. Highly recommended -- check out his website for FREE downloads.

Chuck Carpenter, W5USJ

KC0UTE Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2005 15:54 Send this review to a friend
Unmatched!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having No radio experience this study guide made it easy for Me to understand and pass the Technician Lic exam..this is a MUST READ for anyone wanting to get their first AR Lic..
Thanks W8BBS!!
KC0UTE

KC0UOY Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2005 21:28 Send this review to a friend
I'm a Success Story!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
With only two weeks of study -- and NO prior radio experience -- I passed the Technician exam with 33 correct! The study materials were concise, clear, and helped me earn my license.

The practice exams gave me a great idea of what to expect on the test.

When does that General study guide come out? I can't wait!

KI4KFS Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2005 20:23 Send this review to a friend
Two Thumbs Way Way Up  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I passed my Technician exam last week with a perfect score. I read ARRL's "Now You're Talking", however, the book contains a tremendous amount of information which can be very intimidating to someone like myself with little electronics and radio theory knowledge. Much of this detailed information is not covered on the exam. W8BBS' study guide does an excellent job of breaking "Now You're Talking" down to just 14 pages. Don't forget to download the 5 practice exams. Bottom line: I wouldn't have received the same score on the exam (and may not have passed at all) had I relied solely on "Now You're Talking". Thank you W8BBS! I can't wait for the General License Exam Study Guide.

KB3MDD Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2005 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Precise & Ideal  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found this study guide as most precise & to the point guide towards Tech. exam....This is one of the ideal guide for those who dont want to vander in whole wide variety of expensive books & software (for just Tech class exam).....

I would strongly encourage author to work on General Class exam guide.

I appreciate its contribution of free guide towards HAM

Good luck

KB3LZS Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2005 20:25 Send this review to a friend
If you want to pass the Technician License Exam use this guide.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I decided to get an FCC license I started at the ARRL web site. They offer a study guide but you have to order it and I wanted to start studying right away. I found the W8BBS study guide online for free and realized that it would be all I needed to pass the exam.
Before taking the test. I spent two hours reading the
study guide and another two hours taking practice exams online that is all
the preperation I had for the element 2 exam.
I passed with two wrong questions and now have my own call sign.