Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | microHAM USB <-> Radio Interface Help

Reviews Summary for microHAM USB <-> Radio Interface
microHAM USB <-> Radio Interface Reviews: 29 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: USB Interfaces completely cure the problem of a lack of Serial COM ports for your devices. Solves problems of interconnectivity between computer and radio, keying, rotors, SO2R box, and TNC. Attach as many USB Interfaces as you need for full connectivity.
Unlike common computer mass "USB to Serial adapters" our USB Interfaces are carefully designed for maximum immunity against strong RFI and harsh environment and at the same time be "RF quiet". Each data input is filtered by 3 poles low pass LC filter.
Interfaces are powered from USB port and do not need additional powering. Current consumption meets USB 1.1/2.0 bus powered standard.
More info: http://www.microham.com

You can write your own review of the microHAM USB <-> Radio Interface.

EI3GRB Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2006 02:11 Send this review to a friend
Top Quality Product & After Sales Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought the interface from Jozef , Initally I had some problems configuring the com ports & later had a problem with the sound card on my pc . In both cases an email to Jozef got a very helpful & detailed responce, which solved the matter straight away.

The unit is extremely well made with quality cable & connections & all leads are very clearly marked. Jozef must have heard that I am a bit of a disaster with the pc & designed this unit specially for me hihi.

A pity more companies don't treat their customers like MircoHam

K9IUQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2006 07:52 Send this review to a friend
As Good as It Gets  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have probably had every interface out there over the years, including most RigBlasters Signalink,etc. They all had a little readin and learning to do and jack soldering to get them working.

I recently bought a FT-897D and had the need for a CAT interface. I decided to get the USB II interface since it was VERY cost effective, it has everything in one box, CAT, and data interfaces AND USB to boot.

I ordered on a Monday and got it on Friday. Plug and Play, it was that simple to get working.No cables to be soldered and it plugs into the back of your radio, instead of the mic jack - This is the best way to do it.. It just isnt any easier. Well made and a very nice finish. HIGHLY reccomended.

VE3OZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2006 15:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product - excellent customer service!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a USB Interface II through microHAM America. The product was shipped promptly and Joe went out of his way to provide me with excellent customer service and product support. Set up took approximately 45 minutes from final hook up to sofware set up to first PSK QSO. The CAT interface works well and the rock solid constuction of the unit and cables makes me confident that the unit will take type of mobile, portable and fixed use that I plan to do.

Thanks again Joe and the staff at microHAM!

AA2YS Rating: 4/5 Mar 15, 2006 10:52 Send this review to a friend
A nice piece of equipment  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the interface last fall for use with my TS-480. I'd been having some noise issues from ground loops and PC noise, and the MicroUSB took care of it without a problem.

The software is easy to use and install, and the construction is top-notch.

I would have given the interface a 5, but the factory-made cable for the 480 came mis-wired - it didn't jumper the RTS and CTS lines in the RS-232 connector, so the 480 wouldn't send back anything on the serial port, although it would accept commands from the PC. A quick bit of work with the soldering iron fixed that. I got emails from Microham indicating that it must have been a one-off issue, which is perfectly reasonable. I'm sure if I hadn't found the problem myself that they would have done a fine job of helping me diagnose the issue.

N7GEB Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2006 19:10 Send this review to a friend
Perfect !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my USB interface direct from the factory in Slovakia,not realizing there was a North American distributor. After I received the unit, I had problems making it work, and emailed the North American distributor and customer service rep, Joe, W4TV and asked for help. Within two hours, Joe emailed some advice for me. I didn't understand the advice, so I emailed him again. He responded with a precise, easy to follow set of instructions that got me on the air! The unit now works flawlessly, and I would buy another interface from MicroHam, this time from W4TV!
Thanks for your patience, Joe!

N2LJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2006 10:15 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic product!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used one with my IC-718, Apple Macintosh G4 and MacLoggerDX software. A dream! Other than needing to remember to unplug it when I needed to restart the machine (a USB driver bug), I had no issues whatever. Now that I sold it with the 718, I need a new one for my FT-100D.

BTW: I noted that West Mountain is advertising "RIGTalk" as the "first" USB to CAT or CI-V interface.

NOT!

The MicroHam USB interface has been there, and done that, leading by at least a year, and with many more functions. My MicroHam USB Interface controlled the 718, read the frequency and mode from the 718, and could do a lot more than I ever used it for. Highly recommended.

N2LJ

NO9E Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2006 14:49 Send this review to a friend
Good product and great support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Microham USB interface for Kenwood some time ago from Slovakia. No problems whatsoever. An $60 incl. shipping.

Now that I moved to Mark V Field, I needed another one. The original one is no longer offered but there is USB Interface II. $130 but with support in US, an additional audio interface and it works with many radios (after replacement of a cable and changing a few jumpers).

I could not get mine to work and was greatly irritaed. Emailed Joe W4TV and he replied after midnight that jumpers may be wrong. It took me a few hrs to realize that my jumpers were set for FT1000, not FT1000MP. After that, no problem.

The interface did very well in the 2006 ARRL CW contest. And it was a necessity since my laptop has neither serial nor parallel ports. Life is good!

WB2YIP Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2006 06:03 Send this review to a friend
Great 5+++++  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My wife offered to buy me that laptop I always wanted for use with my radios….after 40 years at the ham game and a second knee replacement for the left knee looming, I thought that getting into the digital modes would be a good ‘recovery’ project. I spent some time reading articles on digital radio and then headed for the Product Reviews at eham.net. A quick scan of the numbers narrowed down the number of interface devices I considered. After reviewing the features of the best-rated devices and a quick ball parking at some prices, I decided that I would go with the microHAM USB Interface II.

I fired an email off to Joe Subich, W4TV of microHAM America, at about 9 PM on a Saturday night with a few questions. Joe got back to me within an hour with the answers as well as the availability of the cable for the FT 817.

The device arrived quickly and was extremely well packed. It is extremely sturdy and has the ‘feel’ and ‘look’ of good, solid, well built equipment. These days, you expect most vendors to skimp on the length and the quality of cables and connectors – not this one. The cables supplied are more than adequate in length for just about any average type radio/computer set up and the quality of the cables and connectors is very hard to find in today’s OEM market.

The microHAM was extremely easy to configure for my radio – they have designed their hardware to allow you to make any internal changes to the device very easily. Additionally, their software was easily installed and configured in a flash.

I did have problems getting things connected properly – these were caused by my own mistakes in configuring the digital and the radio control software. Joe and Jozef got back to me immediately with some suggestions and were extremely helpful – again, the problem I had was unrelated to the microHAM USB Interface II !

Would I buy another product from these gents? Yes! In a heartbeat. Thanks guys!

KG6THM Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2005 05:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product and service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently received my microHAM USB Interface II from Joe, W4TV. It arrived promptly, and was extremely well packed. I was immediately impressed by the quality of components that Joe included; many small-batch makers skimp on cable quality to make margins, but Joe used excellent gold-plated connectors and a very nice dsub connector. Small details like this matter. The documentation was excellent, and I had my 897D up and running with MacLoggerDX in under 5 minutes. The unit itself was much smaller than I imagined, and feels quite rugged. I couldn't be more pleased.

N8BM Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2005 10:52 Send this review to a friend
Top notch service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'd like to add my positive review of this device to the many others.

I ordered the interface for use with my Orion but with a different than standard connector on one of the plugs. Upon receiving the interface I discovered that my request was not satisified so I immediately contacted Jozef, OM7ZZ, who apoligized for the mixup and then promptly sent me a second unit configured as requested. I was amazed at the service provided by microHAM and wish more manufacturers and dealers were as anxious as Jozef to resolve any issues no matter how minor. I would heartily recommend microHAM to others not only for the quality of their products but also for their service which is second to none. Thank you Jozef.!!
Jerry N8BM