Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | microHAM USB <-> Radio Interface Help

Reviews Summary for microHAM USB <-> Radio Interface
microHAM USB <-> Radio Interface Reviews: 29 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: USB Interfaces completely cure the problem of a lack of Serial COM ports for your devices. Solves problems of interconnectivity between computer and radio, keying, rotors, SO2R box, and TNC. Attach as many USB Interfaces as you need for full connectivity.
Unlike common computer mass "USB to Serial adapters" our USB Interfaces are carefully designed for maximum immunity against strong RFI and harsh environment and at the same time be "RF quiet". Each data input is filtered by 3 poles low pass LC filter.
Interfaces are powered from USB port and do not need additional powering. Current consumption meets USB 1.1/2.0 bus powered standard.
More info: http://www.microham.com

You can write your own review of the microHAM USB <-> Radio Interface.

K5OQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2005 12:57 Send this review to a friend
First rate device  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent an e-mail to microham.com asking a question about whether the USB/CI-V interface would work on my IC-756 Pro III and the USB 2.0 port(s) on my new Acer laptop. Within a couple of hours, Jozef sent me an affirmative reply. I ordered the USB <-> CI-V interface, and it came within about 10 days.

Although I had some problems getting the 756ProIII to talk to the USB port, a query to Jozef was answered with a very complete explanation of the possible interface problems, and he included a terminal program as an attachment - for testing. The Microham USB interface is now working perfectly with the Logic 7 logger. The software Jozef included on CD-ROM installed correctly the first time on Win XP Home SP2. You plug his interface into the ICOM and then into the USB port on the laptop. In Device Manager you see you have a Port called "USB <-> CI-V-IC (Com4). My modem is on Com3, so no conflict. You can use "Properties" to change the Com port if needed. Under USB Controllers, you see "USB Serial Converter for CI-V." To be clear, you do NOT need the ICOM CT-17 CI-V interface. You need only the Microham box, which costs about half as much. The Microham box also includes a Din plug for PTT and cable and plug for a CW jack on your rig. There is also an RCA jack for a male footswitch plug. Red and Green LEDs let you know when data is being sent back and forth between the rig and your computer. The overall workmanship appears to be of a very high quality.

My vertical antenna and linear put a good bit of RF into the shack (even with a "proper" ground system). I had trouble with a garden-variety computer Serial/USB adapter used between my FT-1000MP and my laptop. Even with several ferrite cores on the leads, RF got into the computer and locked up my logging program, time after time. Microham touts their USB <-> CI-V device as being filtered from RF. So far, I have seen no problem from RF getting into my computer using the Microham box between the ProIII and the Acer Win XP laptop. Microham could probably save a lot of e-mails, faxes and phone calls if they had more complete instructions. I discussed this with Jozef in an e-mail, since I once was an editor and publisher of software and hardware manuals.

But on balance, I would not hesitate to order another product from Microham.com, and once again be surprised at how fast the order was filled and how fast it made it from Slovakia to Texas. And their support is better and faster than many stateside vendors, that is for sure.

Dick K5OQ

NM6E Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2005 15:24 Send this review to a friend
Clean Interface, Works Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I took a while before making the plunge but now I am happy that I did. I had used my "homebrew" cables etc which made the shack look a bit messy along with my resistor/transistor interface for use with my LPT1 homebre interface and WriteLog 10.53E.

I ordered two USB Interfaces. One for my Yaesu FT-1000MP MK-V, and also one for my Elecraft K2 QRP rig.

I ordered the equipment via their secure web on Wednesday March 9th, 2005 and instantly recieved email confirmation of my order being placed.

From placing my order and receiving confirmation from 2Checkout (credit card authorization folks), it took another week or so.

I recieved email confirmation from Jozef that the product shipped on March 24th (and tracked it via the Slonvska Post English website) and arrived March 29th in California at my door via US Mail Global Priority Service.

Prior to installation, I checked out their web site for "updated" installation files and compared them to the CD included in the box. I had the latest files so went ahead with the CD instruction page.

I loaded the software on my IBM T40 Thinkpad Laptop and connected the USB cable to my USB port (I had already connected the cables to the FT-1000MP MKV).

I had a different setup screen than the one page install manual as I run Windows 2000.

The auto-install routine loaded the drivers and after going to my Device Manage Com ports, I verified it was assigned COM-6. Writelog does NOT have COM ports beyond COM 4 on the setup port screen.

With the help of N6DE, we reviewed the archives at Contesting.com for Writelog and searched Microham and found a wealth of information to help me.

In one thread, a person had the same happen in that it autoconfigured to the next available port, COM5 I think it was. Using Device Manager, Advanced settings, they manually set it to COM 1 and it worked.

In my case, it auto configured COM 6, but I had another IBM USB-to-serial adapater configured on COM4 so I simply selected COM4 with the associated "warning" message that COM4 was used (but not connected) by another device blah blaah blah.

I had to reset my PC and start WriteLog and once I set it up in the PORTS on Writelog, using FT-1MKP, AUTO, POll YES, etc, All Mode PTT etc CW RTS) and it came up working fine, so far.

I will test with my K2 and it's USB-Radio interface and provide feedback on that.

For $50, you cant beat for a custom CW keyer interface, PC control etc and the "small appearance" factor, makes this little black box a winner. Rig control and CW keying circuit in ONE connection, its sweet. Now I have one USB port left over for rotor control if I wanted!

Now I am on the verge of ordering their MicroKeyer to use for all the digiatal modes with my laptop as well as Rig control.

Javier NM6E

KG4YOL Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2005 04:47 Send this review to a friend
Josef will go the extra mile!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Works great with Ham Radio Deluxe. I did use software downloaded from microham web site to set-up com ports instead of shipped software.

First interface did not work! Second interface shipped was lost in mail. Third interface shipped worked. I never gave up hope that all would be well, because of the great praise from so many pleased custmers. My confidence was well founded. Josef will answer his e-mails promptly, and he never questioned my unlikely senario. Thanks.... Josef!

AA5CH Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2005 19:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product and Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted to use the Icom 7800's fiber optic interface for digital modes but had no way to key the rig from within my software. My one and only serial port on the computer was committed to the TS 2000 via a Rigblaster interface and I did not wish to remove it.

I emailed microHam and asked them if their USB/Radio interface would allow me to select which transceiver is keyed by selecting the appropriate comm port. I received a positive reply within a few hours and placed my order on February 16th.

The interface arrived approximately two weeks later. I installed it and the accompanying drivers and had DigiPan running on the 7800 within a matter of minutes. I was also able to try the Ham Radio Deluxe control program people have been talking about. By going into the configuration menu and selecting the appropriate comm port and the soundcard audio input and outputs, I can quickly switch back and forth between the two rigs as I had hoped.

This is a somewhat unique application but I think that it well demonstrates the interface's capabilities. It is a much less expensive alternative to Icom's CT-17 level converter....assuming, of course that you have an available serial port and could use the CT-17 to begin with.

I have to admit to being a bit concerned about making a purchase from an overseas vendor, but everything went very smoothly. They make a useful product, offer it at a reasonable price, are responsive to inquiries, and ship it in a timely manner. Short of just giving it away, I don't know what more you could ask of any vendor, anywhere.

Brad
AA5CH

VK4APN Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2005 17:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product & service  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Had mine 6 months or so. Does what it says! excellent service. Bonus data send & recv leds on box front very handy. Well constructed.
Paul vk4apn

EY8MM Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2004 19:47 Send this review to a friend
FB  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Solved my problem of lack of serial ports! Works as advetiresed. Specialy mention is very fast customer service.

WD0FIA Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2004 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Works great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Item was delivered in less than 10 days. Had it up and running with Ham Radio Deluxe in minutes. Works fine, no glitches or problems in install or operation. High quality construction, appears to be built to run even in high rf environment.

N3ZKP Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2004 15:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one for my TS-570/G4 combination and have no complaints.

Josef changed a couple of connectors at my request and at no charge and I received it in 8 days.

Outstanding company to do business with.

Lon

KI9A Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2004 23:35 Send this review to a friend
nice!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wow!

Josef got this thing right on! Took about 10 min from taking out of the box, to using it. The CD with the drivers installed fine, & writelog liked the new device.

The quality is terrific, & I really like the idea of buying good equipment from other hams.

73!

Chuck KI9A

2E1RDX Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2004 11:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
this is my 2nd Interface from microHAM and once again the service is superb I can say second to none
emails answered very quickly by Jozef OM7ZZ 100% recomend the Product and the Company
73 Ian 2E1RDX