Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Daiwa CN-101L 1.8 to 150 mHz peak reading wattmete Help

Reviews Summary for Daiwa CN-101L 1.8 to 150 mHz peak reading wattmete
Daiwa CN-101L 1.8 to 150 mHz peak reading wattmete Reviews: 36 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: Cross Needle SWR & Power meter, panel back-lighted.
More info: http://www.daiwa-industry.co.jp/radio/ham_e/

You can write your own review of the Daiwa CN-101L 1.8 to 150 mHz peak reading wattmete.

KA0RSN Rating: 2/5 Mar 8, 2016 10:36 Send this review to a friend
Not Accurate  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Compared this with a couple other meters that had known accuracy, and was very surprised! For the low $ amount, I could see a little difference in accuracy, but this CN-101L had MUCH higher readings than I expected.
If you are looking for a fairly accurate meter, this isn't it.

W4KVW Rating: 2/5 Feb 15, 2016 21:27 Send this review to a friend
Save you money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The meter is not accurate on any band that it covers.The so called PEP feature is pathetic & this is what the US Rep for the company advised me about the accuracy & attempting too correct it myself.Like most rather inexpensive electronic items, the repair cost is typically not much lower than the “NEW” cost.Just an FYI, A PDF file was attached for recalibration of the meter.

We have a local repair facility we contract with and the repair cost is usually about $60-$80 total.

If we don’t have the parts on hand it is usually cheaper and easier for everyone to offer you a new meter for about the same cost as repairing your old meter.

Attached are calibration instructions supplied by Daiwa.

The translation is worse than poor, but if you want to try to calibrate your meter before sending it to us it can’t hurt.

Mick Stwertnik
NCG Company
15036 Sierra Bonita Lane
Chino, CA 91710
909-393-6133
FAX 909-393-6136
www.natcommgroup.com
Really? They are telling me the meter is far from a quality meter.Buy one at you own risk & you now know what I know from the people who sell & repair the meters.

SA7AZQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2015 04:58 Send this review to a friend
Good   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had looked for a swr/Power meter for over a year and in August I desided to buy my self a CN101. It wokrs well with my 500w HF linear amplifier. I do not know how accurat it, but enough for me anyway. Have not tested it on 2m. Not the cheap "plastic feeling" that it was in my alan KW520 I had a few years ago. I give it a 5/5.

GM4SVM Rating: 2/5 Aug 11, 2015 05:21 Send this review to a friend
Unfortunate accuracy issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having owned a Daiwa NS660P which I unfortunately disposed of I bought a CN101L which looked similar. However, there were a couple of issues with it. Firstly, it is not a true peak reading meter for SSB. The NS660 required a 13.8v supply or a 9V battery input to drive the meter circuits and provide a true PEP reading. Secondly, the meter was the most innacurate of any amateur grade meter I have used. As an example, a UK CB tranceiver registered as 2W output. Other VSWR meters were showing 3.5W to 4W. The correct reading on a proper meter was 3.9W. That is nearly 50% innacuracy. My HF transceiver on 14MHz was showing an output of 80w. The real output was 102W. On the VSWR side the readings were flatter than reality. A bandwidth of 100KHz at 1.5:1 or less on this meter was really just 50KHz. I notice some reviewers saying that this should be expected as it is just an amateur grade meter, but I have not seen this level of innacuracy in any other meter in this price range or in any other Daiwa meter. It may be a quality control issue or a fault in some of them as other people are reporting the accuracy as OK. If you are going to buy one test it first.

AB7DJ Rating: 1/5 Mar 11, 2014 12:24 Send this review to a friend
very disappointing  Time owned: more than 12 months
THE METER IS LITELY USED BUT I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED. THE 150 RANGE WILL NOT REGISTER..

W3VVV Rating: 3/5 Apr 1, 2013 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Fine for the shack, but don't be mislead by claims of PEP   Time owned: more than 12 months
My CN-101L is about 20 years old and it still works fine. It is reliable and easily accurate enough for ham shack use.

The meter is large and easy to read without the light, which is good because the bulb illuminates the meter rather unevenly.

I'd really like to give this meter a 5, but I'm taking off 2 points because the manufacturer says that it can display PEP, even though it really does not have that capability. At best, this is false advertising. They might fool CB'ers, but they're not fooling amateurs radio operators.

N0NZG Rating: 4/5 Dec 30, 2012 01:42 Send this review to a friend
Great price , long lasting performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this SWR / WATT meter for over 10 years and for what it is I am very happy with it.
Yes ,the PEP function is a joke and in no way does what it says. You can always do a little multiplication to convert from average to PEP. This meter is built solid inside and has survived a lot over the years. As for as calibration concerns there are calibration pots provided so you can set to a known standard and have a very accurate meter. For a $100 meter this one gets my vote over ANY mfj product!

W9OS Rating: 4/5 Nov 22, 2012 11:57 Send this review to a friend
Not Bad  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this meter in conjunction with my Johnson KW Matchbox.Much easier tuning with the cross meters. Have Alpha 76A ,MS-4 and CN110L all in series..They all reed about the same power and SWR. On 2m I only had a 100C Bird slug when I picked up a KLM 160W brick.The 43 meter pegs and the Daiwa showed 155 out .Good enough for me..

KF7VXA Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2012 19:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been very pleased with this meter. I have compared it to a couple other known accurate meters and have found this meter to be very close.
The readings are consistant between high and low power settings and the SWR is accurate.
For the price, this is a solid, well built meter.
It's over 3 times less money than a Bird, so don't expect it to be as accurate as a Bird, but for the price, it reads very close to the true readings.
It works as good as it looks, a great value for the money.
I bought it after returning 2 MFJ 842's as they were all over the place. I appriciate a decent meter that is afforadable.

The one thing I'd like to see is a 100 watt scale, otherwise it's been perfect for a person on a budget.

K8JHR Rating: 4/5 Jul 10, 2012 00:13 Send this review to a friend
Just OK - not outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
Meter works OK ... no issues, other than it does not always agree with the other meters in the shack, including 3 made by Palstar, a couple made by Ten-Tec, and some others I have borrowed from friends.

Old Chinese Saying = Man with two watches never knows what time it is. And so with meters like this one. Accuracy is rated as 10% (+/-) - so with that large a divergence, one may expect some differences between it and similar meters under the same circumstances. Nevertheless, while it does its job (which is to give me a reasonably accurate indication of power and SWR) it is, nevertheless, the only meter in the shack that does not agree with the rest.

So, I guess the bottom line is: Looks OK, Works OK, and is reasonably accurate. But I cannot give it a 5-star rating, because I feel it is just of fair, average quality among similar items at the price point. I presume the newer Chinese-made MFJ meters work as well for substantially less money.

Just MY take. // K8JHR //