Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Daiwa CN-101L 1.8 to 150 mHz peak reading wattmete Help

Reviews Summary for Daiwa CN-101L 1.8 to 150 mHz peak reading wattmete
Daiwa CN-101L 1.8 to 150 mHz peak reading wattmete Reviews: 36 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: Cross Needle SWR & Power meter, panel back-lighted.
More info: http://www.daiwa-industry.co.jp/radio/ham_e/

You can write your own review of the Daiwa CN-101L 1.8 to 150 mHz peak reading wattmete.

KW2HV Rating: 1/5 May 1, 2010 05:21 Send this review to a friend
Inaccurate, Not a true PEP wattmeter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I find that this meter is very inaccurate.

A) I have a resonant antenna on 40M - SWR on 7.160 is 1.2:1 as measured on SWR analyzer. Palstar AT4K and an MFJ tuner both concur. The Daiwa says 1.7:1. My dummy load shows 1.4:1 - unacceptable

B) The PEP reading meter is a joke - shows 800W when it should be showing 1500. The Palstar and MFJ are a lot closer.

C) I do find that in CW the wattmeter is more accurate showing readings close to the Palstar and MFJ.

I realize that this is a cheap meter however I didn't expect it to be this badly inaccurate. I would spend the extra bucks and get something more accurate. It makes no sense to spend $5000 or more in a good rig and amp and get this lack luster performance in your testing gear. In my opinion its a POS.

N9MXY Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2010 18:01 Send this review to a friend
Rock Solid!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this meter going on 10yrs now and it took the purchase of an MFJ antenna tuner to appreciate how good it is! No matter what power you run through it,10W or 1kW the SWR is consistent, unlike the mfj that would turn a 1.3 into a 1.7 or higher as the power climbed. I guess the detector being inside it's own steel case on the Daiwa helps that. The watt meter is within 10% of my fluke test meter that measure watts across a 50ohm load. Not true peak on the peak mode but it does smooth out the movement giving you a better indication of modulation levels. IMHO

DL1OLI Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2009 03:20 Send this review to a friend
very good value for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this CN-101 meter some years (I think 1998 for 150 DM) ago. At this time I needed a SWR/PRW meter that could handle more than 400 Watts on 2m band. This was the only one available. It can be used with up to 1KW on 144 MHz. It was very useful for the repair and adjustments on my 4CX250 tube PA. Maybe it is not the most accurate meter, but it is OK for my use. After I swapped the 4CX250 for a solid-state amp, I use it primary on HF and 6 m band. It had never had a fault.

WD0FIA Rating: 4/5 Jun 18, 2009 04:43 Send this review to a friend
Great meter for the price!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Is it a Bird? No! But it costs less than an element for one!

I bought three of these from Ham City (Juns) for $84.95 each. They are all within 5% of the reading my Bird gives. They all vary slightly from each other in readings. I am using the for "relative" readings, not precision. They work fine for that! For precision readings, look elsewhere! These are NOT what I would recommend for a service bench.

That said, I have to say I think they are a great unit for a reasoable price. They don't look or feel like cheap junk. Nice metal cases, attractive meter, solid feel. The removable rubber end caps keep them from scratching furniture or radios.

NZ0T Rating: 4/5 May 28, 2009 18:59 Send this review to a friend
Good for the $$$  Time owned: months
Good meter and easy to use. Not real accurate especially on the higher bands but for around $100 I didn't expect it to be a Bird.

KT4WO Rating: 4/5 May 28, 2009 14:24 Send this review to a friend
for 100$..good.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my 2nd, and both are what one would expect for $100 meter that covers 1,8-150Mhz. Is it a Bird 43?...No...and the folks that compare it to a Bird and then complain,,,well...Did they think it would be as good as a Bird for just 100 bucks?
For the cost vs bandwidth.. Its a good meter.
Would buy again.

KT4WO

KC5VH Rating: 4/5 May 28, 2009 10:12 Send this review to a friend
Fine meter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used a CN-101L for several years with TS-830S, SB-200 and now an IC-746PRO. It always performs perfectly. Power out accuracy? Close enough for a ham shack, maybe not a repair shop. Does power accuracy matter if it tells me the rigs are working like they always have before? Power is so I can tell the other guy what I'm runing and he doesn't care anyway. SWR is a little higher than my Icom meter, which is fine because it keeps me from runnung high SWR.

G6YGZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2008 08:19 Send this review to a friend
Very Happy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have read alot of reviews where people are comparing the accuacy of the readings with far more expensive TEST equipment. I find the accuracy of my Daiwa meters reasonably good and rock steady. I use them for what I think they were designed for. This is to glance at whilst transmitting, to show the forward power needle is in the right area and the reflected power needle dosn`t move or if it does its very little. All the accurate testing and adjusting as already been done. The readings off the little Daiwas are just a check that nothing as changed and for less than 60 in my opinion there is nothing better.

KW6T Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2008 20:40 Send this review to a friend
Good Meter. Great Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am puzzled by the negative comments toward this meter. I have one and use it mainly on two-meters from 1 to 500 watts. I find the Daiwa is very accurate compared to a Bird 43.

KX5JT Rating: 4/5 Feb 23, 2008 19:50 Send this review to a friend
Easy to read  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a meter to use with an SB-200 that has a scale less than 3K. The cross-needle Daiwa works great for the 500-800 watts that the SB-200 puts out. It may not be as accurate as a Bird, but it's not meant to be. It suits this amateur just fine. Looks great with the light on! SWR is easy to read and makes tuning the amp and antennas a no brainer.

de KX5JT