Reviews Categories | Weather Stations | LaCrosse 2310 Weather Station Help

Reviews Summary for LaCrosse 2310 Weather Station
LaCrosse 2310 Weather Station Reviews: 34 Average rating: 2.2/5 MSRP: $$165
Description: Full featured wired/wireless weather station. Complete with
Heavy Weather PC software and interface.
More info: http://www.lacrosse-psmall.com/la-crosse-technology-ws2310.html

You can write your own review of the LaCrosse 2310 Weather Station.

NJ6K Rating: 0/5 Mar 28, 2015 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Piece of JUNK   Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent back two units,because the Wireless Anemometer quit working, it will work for about a year then it will go out.

WA2NTK Rating: 0/5 Jan 17, 2012 05:47 Send this review to a friend
Save your money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this unit for over 5 years and have replaced the aneometer 3 times. This unit is slow to update wind speed, RF sensitive (not suitable for use around an amateur radio station)and often fails for no reason at all which requires one to remove the batteries in the wireless unit for a minute or so to re-initiaize the microprocessor. I'm also suspect that the wind speed readings are considerably flawed and read very low compared to the actual wind speed. The uniit itself looks good but is often a useless headache. Based on my expierence I would suggest staying away from anything sold by LaCrosse.

KE7IOD Rating: 2/5 Apr 25, 2011 21:22 Send this review to a friend
OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this weather station configured on a linux workstation with wview running on Centos.

The weather station works, its nice to have a barometer. But the rain guage and wind guage are not that great. I also have a one wire weather station and its wind data is much more accurate.

Overall, its an OK weather station but much to be desired. I may end up with a Davis, not certain yet.

W3HKK Rating: 2/5 Oct 19, 2010 14:36 Send this review to a friend
Unfriendly design, unreliable wind/rain gages  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had my 2310( with a Weather Channel logo on it) for 2 years, at a cost of $100 at Home Depot

Initially, it was eating batteries in the remote wireless unit outside. I went to lithium batteries and this helped....they now last nearly a year.

The wind speed updates itself in an agonizingly slow time frame so you miss most of the wind and only get periodic samples. Also it seems to indicate very low readings compared to what is going on outside. I dont trust the remote unit.

I recently got on 6m, and now my rainfall gage is erratic and unreliable. After operating on 6m, I will often find 20 inches of rain have fallen from sunny skies. I also have issues when operating 80m.

Despite numerous resets of the remote unit and in the shack, erratic behavior continues and Ive about given up on the rain/wind readings.

The indoor unit works fine but having to push a button 8 times to see whats going on is annoying and begs for change.

My old wired Lacross wx station worked fine until its demise, after 6 years, and the read outs were all individually visible on the master unit in the shack. Wind speed was almost real time which is great in a storm. I loved the master unit!

The 2310 is a good looking unit but functionality is way below expectations.

W5WAA Rating: 1/5 Jul 13, 2009 19:06 Send this review to a friend
Not worth the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I reviewed this one earlier, I've had it about 2 years. It is very unreliable, goes out for no apparent reason. If you change the batteries and beat around on it it will start working again for a few weeks, then it quits again. The theory behind the unit is good, but the excution is poor. The wind measuring part is useless, uses an average reading over a minute or so, so you don't ever record gusts, and since it only upates about every two minutes, watching it for wind velocity changes is a waste of time. Save your money a look elsewhere, it's coming down tonight and going in the trash can.

N1MIW Rating: 3/5 Jan 3, 2009 19:58 Send this review to a friend
Accurate low-budget instrument BUT.......  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had pretty good accurate readings with my unit when compared with the local airport readings, but there have been plenty of times I've heard a wind gust outside, looked at the display, and ..... nothing! The update rate is too slow for those of you who want "instant" weather readings. Other than that, It's been pretty good.

HOWEVER, for use at an amateur radio station, mine is very sensitive to RF on 80, 40, and 6 meters. With 100 watts on 6, I'll have rainfall rates like 20 inches an hour, and the sensor is 50' away - wouldn't think that this would be too close. On HF, anything over ~30 watts causes the thermo/hygro sensor to lock up & stop sending data, requiring me to reset the display and/or the sensor to start sending data again. I was running QRO one night on 40, and the RF got into the unit so bad that it turned itself on - it beeped, the display lit up, and all icons came on! (It was off because I couldn't get it to synch the data any longer).

Other problems I've had with mine was the anemometer drain hole getting plugged, which caused water to build up & then freeze. My bad (I guess) for not performing some fall maintenance. I've had the rain sensor fail - I just replaced the reed switch which fixed that problem. I can also never seem to get rid of a temperature spike in the morning, even now in the winter. That piece of plastic over the main sensor works better as a home for critters than keeping out the solar heat.

I would recommend this unit to someone who has to answer the question "what's it like outside?", but not to another amateur operator due to the RF problems, or who is serious about WX monitoring. If you really want current conditions at your house, save some cash & get a more expensive one. When I buy my first SERIOUS weather station, this one will be given away (if I don't kill it with RF beforehand!).

K9FON Rating: 2/5 Nov 24, 2008 11:29 Send this review to a friend
Eh....................  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my since 2003 and so far i have replaced the anemometer and the rain guage has failed. The txe'r eats batterys like no tomorrow (I fixed that with lithium cells) and the receiver has been the only piece that has not failed. It works ok for what it is but one can do better. The anemometer is slow to update wind speed and doesnt give a constant reading. Next time i will spend a little more $$$ and get a davis and stay away from the Wal Mart junk....

N1EDU Rating: 1/5 Jan 23, 2008 03:57 Send this review to a friend
Could do much better  Time owned: more than 12 months
If this is your first (or going to be considered as your first) then maybe you might look at the other brands - like Peet Brothers. Like the saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later (twice).

My unit was a 2317 unit discuounted through Sam's Club - I got it as a gift. I put everything up in hard wire mode, tower mounted, improvised but good solar radiation shielded, rain bucket add on 8 feet out on the tower side arm, etc. I wanted the most frequent wind updates, since I went to the trouble of putting everything up 70 feet on the tower, so wireless didn't intereste me- the intervals were too long.

Under warranty, there was a lightning strike probably .25 to .5 miles away, which caused the main board to go out, and the serial card on my computer, which took out the BIOS. Lacrosse changed out the unit no charge, but said it was fully functioning. pc mother board was toast.

I was more careful to disconnect the wire each approaching storm, but one came up when I was too far from home in June, and that was it. At least I went to usb to serial converter, and didn't loose my newer computer.

The unit performed well when I had it. Absolutely the only way to computerize this is with the wuhu software mentioned below. I found my cwop accuracy well within statistical standards, once I added the radiation shielding.

My unit was quite disrupted by my ham station antennas 50 - 75 feet away, when in the hard-wired mode. I was running barefoot into G5RV at the time.

If you decide this is the price point you need to be at, then watch out for lighting and RF. I may have been able to provide better shielded cable, perhaps even surge arrest, and choke beads, but
I didn't and paid the price. Somewhere there is someone that uses shielded CAT 5 instead of plain ole fone line wire.

I think that Lacrosse should have done more also. It did what I expected and more, until proximity lightning did it in - nothing else has ever been a victim of lightning in my home or shack (knock on wood). I'm not the highest place around, and I provide alot of grounding & bonding.

When up on the tower for my new station last week, I could hear the wind turbine making a rhaspy whiney sound- I think the bearings are gone in it now ! Come on! My wife used to ask what is the point of a weather station you can't use to it's fullest when the weather is the worst???

I'm going to write a review on the Peet Brothers Ultimeter 2100 pro I just got to replace it. So far, excellent !! It is a much better use of weather station dollars in my opinion. Wind updates every .5 seconds - More frequent over 5 mph.

In closing, I got a lot of enjoyment out of this and a lot of frustration. When it worked, I was proud of it, when I had to change my habits because of poor construction, then I already knew - at that point I started looking at Davis & Peet Brothers.

K5KEE Rating: 4/5 Oct 27, 2007 20:55 Send this review to a friend
Very Little Problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my 2nd 2310 ... the 1st one had to be replaced after landing across the street during a MAJOR severe storm (along with my privacy fence and part of my roof).

Granted, I've had the sensors placed in various parts of the yard but found that out in the open for all sensors is the best. I also have a thermo-cover for the temp sensor. Otherwise, everything functions well.

As for software, the absolute best around is the WUHU:

It's not only free, but fully functional with lots of bells and whistles that help monitor your stations activity, including potential problems. And the software developer is ALWAYS accessible, open to suggestions and has incorporated a lot of usable features that have been asked for by users.

My 1st station had problems with the wind sensor, and La Crosse replaced it without hesitation.

Now, to be totally honest, I'd rather have a Davis but tend to spend any extra money on ham equipment instead of weather equipment. But since I haven't had any real problems, I can't say the 2310 isn't worth hanging on to.

KC7ZRU Rating: 2/5 Oct 10, 2007 09:46 Send this review to a friend
OK for a toy - 2317  Time owned: more than 12 months
You get what you pay for. This is a reasonable, entry level 'hobbiest' platform. No where near what should be used for serious or disciplined observations. At under $100 - it is what it is.

The 2317 was a "special purchase" item sold through Sam's club awhile back. It's no longer available. Same 'guts' as the 2310 in a cosmeticly different case.

Temp - In/Out OK
Humidity - In/Out OK
Baro - OK
Wind - no gust ability, unable to accurately read sustained speeds over about 5mph. Pointless in Wyoming. No 'smoothing' for speed or direction. Graphs wind up looking like scatter charts.
Rain gauge - weak construction, mechanically unsound. Material vulnerable to UV degradation.

Biggest complaint: VERY susceptible to RF interference! Mine is in the same yard as my trap dipole at 30 foot. The sensor unit is mounted about 20' from the antenna. Running even 5 watts SSB on 80m will shut the external sensors down until you go out, pull the batteries do a hard reset on it. This can take up to 20 minutes.
Reed switches in the rain gauge are known to be weak and fail with regularity. Insect intrusion to the rain gauge and temp/baro/humidity sensor easily cause poor or null readings.

Biggest plus: Open Source software available! The Open2300 project provides very nice logging, databasing and web software that makes the available software from Lacrosse look like the amateurish, kludge it is. Ironic the nicest feature is not supported by or even a product of the manufacture.

Open2300 project: