Reviews Categories | Weather Stations | LaCrosse 2310 Weather Station Help

Reviews Summary for LaCrosse 2310 Weather Station
LaCrosse 2310 Weather Station Reviews: 33 Average rating: 2.3/5 MSRP: $$165
Description: Full featured wired/wireless weather station. Complete with
Heavy Weather PC software and interface.
More info: http://www.lacrosse-psmall.com/la-crosse-technology-ws2310.html

You can write your own review of the LaCrosse 2310 Weather Station.

WA0DTH Rating: 1/5 Mar 24, 2007 16:08 Send this review to a friend
Very Disappointed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got this unit Friday. Bought it new from a guy on ebay.
Installed it and found it makes a good clock and indoor weather indicator.
But I never could get the outdoor sensor and transmitter to work.
I pulled the batteries out of the base and the trasmitter to do a reset. Still no outdoor readings.
I guess at this point Im tired of fussing with it.
I emailed the place I bought it from indicating how unhappy I was.
I have a WS 9035U that has given great service so I figured this unit would do the same. :-(

W3AB Rating: 0/5 Dec 17, 2006 15:19 Send this review to a friend
WS-2317 - Thought it might be OK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you want an inexpensive "stand alone on the wall" or on your computer monitor weather read-out, this system would rate a 5/5. The hardware and Heavy Weather software was "plug and play".

If you want to play in APRS, weatherunderground or CWOP, go somewhere else for a weather station. This unit will not interface to a TNC. That said, yes, you might be able to get it interfaced, with a lot of time.

Per La Crosse, "the serial code is proprietary and will not be released".

It requires a fetch command to make the CPU spit out any data.

If you are interested, these sites may provide you with answers.

Have fun.

W4WNP Rating: 4/5 Aug 2, 2006 09:31 Send this review to a friend
Very good for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the WS-2310 now for over 2 years, and have had no problems with it. After reading some of the other reviews on here, I am wondering if we are talking about the same unit.

Some of the problems that I have seen reported here are probably due to poor siting of the sensors. I have seen at least two reports where the temp/hygro. sensor was mounted under the eave of the house, a very poor location for accurate readings. Fact is, this station, like some of the other higher priced stations, tends to limit one when choosing a mounting site because the wind instrument has to be wired to the temp/hygro sensor. The spacing of these sensors can be extended by lengthening the wire between these sensors, in order to obtain a better siting for each of them. If you must put the sensor under your eave, realize that this is a compromise that sometimes ruins the accuracy of your measurements, as will placing the wind sensor on your roof. No weather station, regardless of price, can be expected to produce accurate readings if it is not installed with care and given proper siting.
A good commentary and instructions for proper siting, produced by CWOP can be found at this website.

Somebody mentioned that they wished the LCD had a backlight that would stay on. It does, you only need to run the console off of the AC adapter.

As far as the wind sensor "locking up", this unit, like most things, does require some maintenance. Spraying the wind turbine's axle with a silicone fabric spray about once a year will keep it turning freely.

The software for this unit does leave a lot to be desired, and I recommend, if you wish to post your readings professionally, that you use a 3rd party program such as Weather Display or Virtual Weather Station. Even LaCrosse lists the software from Weather Display on their website. I have used this software and can vouch for its excellence, and for the tech support from the person that produces it.

I know people that own different models of the Davis weather station and, while it does have better features (it should for the price) it has some of the same siting limitations encountered by the LaCrosse. The faster updating rate of the Davis stations is one of the features, along with others, that makes it better than the LaCrosse, but for the money, the LaCrosse isn't that bad.

KM5VY Rating: 1/5 Jul 13, 2006 22:42 Send this review to a friend
You don't get what you don't pay for.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have the "Sam's Club Exclusive" version, the WS2317. It is cheaper than the WS2310, but is pretty much the same unit. In my opinion this gadget is a toy. I use the thing wired up to my APRS station and participate in the "Citizens' Weather" program, and it has been a huge headache from day one.

In the first few months I had it, the wireless base unit would lose sync with the outdoor sensor at least three times a week, despite the transmitter and receiver being about 20 feet apart with nothing but a window between them. I would need to remove the batteries from the outdoor unit and/or power down and reset the indoor unit each time it did so, as it would never reestablish contact over hours.

Each time it would lose sync, the computer would receive absurd temperature values from the indoor unit--- for example, it would report that the outdoor temperature was 176 degrees. To prevent that sort of nonsense from being reported to Citizens' Weather I had to hack on the software I used to log the data (Open2300 on linux) to have sanity checks on the data and ignore ridiculous values.

The altimiter (relative pressure) setting in the device is poorly implemented. Instead of allowing you to set an altitude and then computing the relative pressure from the absolute pressure, the thing requires you to enter the relative pressure directly every so often --- if the absolute pressure fluctuates enough you'll find that the formula it uses to compute the change in relative pressure is not valid over a very large range. Basically, I found I had to compute and re-enter the relative pressure about once a day or the thing would be reporting nonsense. In the end, I hacked Open2300 again to ignore the device's self-reported relative pressure and just compute the relative pressure from absolute pressure and known altitude. Once I did that, MADIS-computed error norms for my reported barometer readings dropped back down to acceptable limits.

The "radiation shield" that comes with the unit is essentially useless --- despite having sited the unit according to the CWOP guidelines, MADIS was reporting a clear pattern of solar heating in the temperature data. Eventually I built a "pagoda" style radiation shield out of six 6" diameter plastic flower pots and this went away.

Interestingly, the loss of sync issue pretty much went away after I installed the unit inside the pagoda radiation shield.

As others have reported below, every time I fired up my HF station on 20 meters the weather station would get erroneous rainfall data --- for example, during the extreme drought we had over the winter and spring (when we actually got about .04" of precipitation over the span of several months), the station would suddenly say I'd had 10" of rain per hour after a session at the key.

Just in time for our rainy season, the rain sensor gave up the ghost just a couple of weeks ago. We had several days of very rainy weather, and apparently water got into the temperature/hygrometer unit (to which the rain gauge attaches). Since then, no matter how much rain we get the WS2317 shows no precipitation. This is not due to a broken rain gauge, as the reed switch and rain-catcher still function correctly when I test it with an ohmmeter --- it's entirely in the temperature/hygrometer unit.

The hygrometer is very inaccurate at humidity below about 20%, and since I live in a desert that means that my station is always reporting useless humidity data (MADIS has flagged my dewpoint data as out of acceptable error bounds for almost the entire time I've been reporting my data on APRS, even though barometer and temperature errors are within acceptable limits).

In all, if you're planning on using your weather station for anything like APRS or CWOP, plunk down more cash and get a good weather station. This thing is really more for entertainment than measurement.

W5GEO Rating: 1/5 Jul 4, 2006 16:52 Send this review to a friend
Never Worked Right  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The wind sensor never worked. I don't mean it worked some of the time or wasn't accurate, I mean it never worked. It always read 2-3 mph no matter the wind speed. Customer service is non-existent. No answer to emails. The rain sensor had to be reset often.

W4LGH Rating: 1/5 Jun 13, 2006 18:53 Send this review to a friend
Only ggod for short range  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had one for about 6 months. Works good, when it worked! I was constantly having to go up on the roof and reset it, then it would work ok for few day, then act up again. Also, I did NOT like the way the sensor pluged in 1 transmitter, and 30 day you were changing the batteries.

Have an Oregon Scientific now, Solar powered, and using Weather Display to monitor and run live weatheron my website (www.w4lgh.com)

W3HII Rating: 1/5 Jun 13, 2006 17:28 Send this review to a friend
I'm not happy with it  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have a Lacrosse WS-2317, a similar model that was sold only at Sam's Club. Having lots of trouble with the Heavy Weather Version 2.0 Beta software. It crashes feequently (every 5-10 minutes!)under Windows XP Pro. ALso the receiving/display unit hangs up periodically - everything will stop working - clock stops, buttons don't work and the display don't update. I have to remove AC and battery power for a while to reset it. I thought there may have been some interference to the receiver from a 433 Mhz wireless thermometer, but That unit is now shut down.

ARRLBOOSTER Rating: 1/5 Jan 29, 2006 22:00 Send this review to a friend
doggy doo  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Mine failed within a month. Poor design and execution. The CEO should have all the broken units shoved up his loading dock;)

NB7I Rating: 1/5 Jan 29, 2006 17:45 Send this review to a friend
Look Elsewhere  Time owned: more than 12 months
A friend gave me this thing so he wouldn't have to cuss it every day. Useless for accurate wind measurements. The first time a big gust of wind goes by, you look at it and see nothing due to the long update rate.
The wind speed fan bound up after a couple years in a windy area. The innards corroded. The rain gauge crapped out, corroded. The low range of humidity is 19%; not much use in an area where the humidity is low. Low temp range won't impress anyone up north. The buttons don't work all the time.
Plus - Battery life appears good. Barometer goes up and down.
If you live in an area where the wind never blows, no rain, no extreme temps, humidity never falls below 19%, then you don't need a weather station, anyway.

WB4QNG Rating: 4/5 Jan 29, 2006 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Decent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I think you get what you pay for and this unit is exactly that. It is a full feature weather unit. I have had only two problems with mine. Mine quit working during a heavy rain. I found the cover over the sending unit was missing and it had gotten wet. I brought in the house and dried it out and it worked fine. LaCrosse would not sell me another cover so I now have a pastic cup over it. Only other problem was the rain gage working. I cleaned it out and it works fine now. My biggest compliant is the wind speed. I use mine wireless and since it only updates every two minutes you miss the gust speeds. I have an internet connection to a school with expensive equipment about 5 miles away and its measurements are close. My recomendation is if you are not that much in the weather and just think it would be neat to know the wind speed, rain fall and outdoor temp buy this unit. If you are a weather nut spend the big bucks and get yourself something better.
Terry