Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Motorola HT1550 XLS Help

Reviews Summary for Motorola HT1550 XLS
Motorola HT1550 XLS Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1500
Description: n many organizations, there is a need for professionals to communicate using a higher level of two-way sophistication . That's why Motorola built the 160-channel HT1550·XLS portable radio. It is the epitome of professionalism. The HT1550·XLS radio showcases all the features of the HT1250 radio, and more. With it, users can transmit crystal clear messages with the noise canceling microphone; automatically retry another member's radio while tending to other tasks; retain voice messages in a built-in storage area; and easily read commands on the large, four-line ideographic display. This powerful radio offers its user immediate command and control of not only all of their personnel, but every radio in the network.
The HT1550·XLS has the following additional features:

* 160 channels available
* Emergency Siren Button
* Internal VOX
* EscalertTM Call Features
* Quik-Call II Signaling (decode)
* MDC 1200 Signaling (encode/decode)
* X-Pand Audio Enhancement
* Programmable function buttons for easy access to features
* High/low power adjustments to conserve battery life
* Scan mode to scan channels for activity
* Monitor transmissions to locate clear channels
* Repeater talkaround for unit to unit communication, bypassing the repeater
More info: http://www.motorola.com/cgiss/portables/ht1550xls.shtml

You can write your own review of the Motorola HT1550 XLS.

N1SQB Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2013 12:01 Send this review to a friend
I love it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I absolutely love this radio. It is a step up from my trusty HT1250. There is nothing I do NOT like about this radio. The sensitivity and selectivity is just where you need it to be, as you might expect from a Motorola radio. The display contains a ton of information when compared to a standard radio display like the HT1250. 160 channels is more than plenty. My radio came professionally aligned and recased including the display, and a permanently programmed FPP option WITHOUT the need for a red battery. No doubt in my mind that this radio will satisfy all your analog needs. If you are on the fence about getting one, just do it!

W2MB Rating: 4/5 Feb 29, 2008 21:35 Send this review to a friend
Bells and Whistles galore  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own both JT1000 and HT1550XLS Motorola VHF handheld transceivers. As far as amateur service is concerned, the HT1550 works very well and has more options than you will ever use. I prefer the audio output sound quality of the JT1000, but the HT1550XLS's receiver seems to be a tad better at rejecting strong nearby signals. The transmitter/antenna combination on the JT1000 clearly works better than the HT1550XLS at the same power output levels for weak signal work. They are both front panel programable devices that are built solidly and preform very well, but in the end, I prefer the JT1000 over the HT1550XLS.

VE7FXG Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2005 01:27 Send this review to a friend
5 stars  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been a ham for over 20 years. When I started out I enjoyed VHF/UHF handhelds with plenty of bells and whistles. As time went on, however, I found that I became more and more annoyed with ICOM, Yaesu and Kenwood handhelds that failed for mechanical or electrical reasons. I searched for handhelds that I could depend on. I have found myself reverting back to several that I started with including the IC02AT and IC2AT series. I'm much more satisfied with basic and robust that featurama!

The best of the best for my use has been Motorola JT100 and the HT1550XLS. Now, rememeber my criteria may not work for you. I'm looking for relatively simple, rugged, and dependable. Both the JT100 and HT1550XLS fit the bill perfectly. For those who like a few extra bells and whistles the HT1550XLS is for you. It is easily programmed from the software (that doesn't come with the unit) but is available for purchase or you can ask your friendly Motorola dealer to program it up for you when you purchase.

A must for me is field programmability. Both the JT100 and HT1550XLS are field programmable. Another must is drop testing. I've dropped tested many a radio in my day ...both the JT1000 and the HT1550XLS blow away all others for survivability.

Accessories for these radios are relatively expensive but batteries are reasonably priced and widely available on the internet.

My other complaint with ham portables has been volume. All radios are great in the quiet of your home but get them in a noisy traffic zone at a public service event and you can't hear them over the background noise. Motorola portables are well known for their loud audio. Both the JT1000 and the HT1550 provide excellent loud audio.

Downside to these radios is that you'll need one for VHF and another for UHF -- no dual bands handhelds. And they are bulkier that typical new ham portables.

Summary: robust, reliable, durable, loud audio, field progammable make the JT1000 or HT1550XLS excellent choices for ham radio if weight and size are not an issue for you. If you want a few more bells and whistles, choose the HT1550XLS over the JT1000.

Greg
VE7FXG

W1KFR Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2004 23:15 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got my first HT1550(VHF) and got it set up to exactly what I needed. I must say the radio performs flawlessly. The radio does LTR trunking along with conventional modes. It has many more features than the HT1250. I highly recommend the radio if you need all the features it is capable of doing!