Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | Heathkit HD-1418 Help

Reviews Summary for Heathkit HD-1418
Heathkit HD-1418 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $79.95
Description: Audio filter for use on recever output.

You can write your own review of the Heathkit HD-1418.

WA9LAE Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2015 20:47 Send this review to a friend
Unmatched!  Time owned: more than 12 months
From my 2015 standpoint. Just as good and
as easy to use as the Datong FL-2/3. Very similar
operation as well. Believe me when I say this filter
easily matches any DSP audio filters I have used!
Grab one at the hamfest or flea market. You will not
be disappointed!

VR2XMQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2007 02:35 Send this review to a friend
Old, but still very effective.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is now quite an old analog audio filter but one of the best and easy to use, very similar as the Datong FL-2/FL-3.

Can be found second hand at low cost.

I use mine daily with my SB-104A.

73 Steve, VR2XMQ
K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2004 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Older Technology That Still Workd Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned one for years. I use it with my older IC-740 which has a teriffic receiver on it, but when operating in close quarters as on CW or PSK31, there were a couple shortcomings in the receiver. It was great on PSK31 to narrow the upper and lower audio bandpass limits and simultaneously notch out a strong close in station. It improved reception too on CW even though I had the optional 500 Hz. filter.Yes a newer DSP filter would be better, but for what I paid at the time, it has served me well.

I like it so much, I recently purchased one on eBay for use with an old AM/CW station I restored comprised of an HT-40 and HQ-110. The Q-Multiplier on the HQ-110 is nice, but this makes operating CW with the HQ-110 a joy.
KA8KH0 Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2004 17:49 Send this review to a friend
Great accy for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently acquired one of these to use with an HW5400. The HD1418 audio filter unit complements my rig very well; especially useful is the audio notch function - just the trick for reducing QRM from the tuner-uppers and SW stations.

The filter can be operated in peak and notch modes; independent bandwidth, peak/notch tuning and center-frequency controls are provided. The unit's response curves can be optimized for RTTY, CW and SSB modes.

Disadvantages? Since it's analog and not DSP-based, it lacks an effective noise-blanker function. No auto-notch, either...but for the price you won't miss it.

I plan to buy another of these units. Too bad Heathkit is no more; it would have been a fun kit to build.