Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Alpha 99 Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha 99
Alpha 99 Reviews: 74 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $3850 + shipping
Description: The Ultimate Value in a linear amplifier - Made in USA
More info: http://www.rfconcepts.com/

You can write your own review of the Alpha 99.

KM4TV Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2014 14:43 Send this review to a friend
Great amp  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Alpha 99 legal limit HF amplifier is a very solid made amplifier. Tunes very easily and I have grown to appreciate the LED meters and indicators. A quality unit and the fan is quiet yet provides good air flow.

Nice job Alpha.

W9TB Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2014 04:27 Send this review to a friend
Alpha 99  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the best Amp I have ever had bar none. Every ham should have one.

J85K Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2014 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Fault Protection  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Alpha 99 legal limit HF amplifier is a very solid performer.Tunes effortlessly and I have grown to appreciate its LED readouts. A quality unit,robustly built; an acceptably quiet fan and having excellent Fault Protection circuitry.

Unit acquired 'used', but looks and operates as new. Now in use for 2+ years in the tropics with several types of wire antennas from 160 to 10 meters. Line supply is 230 volts / 50 hertz single phase.

You are required some three minutes of patience for warm-up .......

K5YZS Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2013 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Nice Amplifier, but issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had occasion to work with Molly a couple of years ago to get a reconditioned Alpha 99. The tech report said it was checked out and only issue was to reset the tube bias. The tech missed the noisy grinding sound when the TUNE capacitor was rotated. I diagnosed as the rubbing of grounding strap rubbing on the capacitor shaft and as best I could, I reshaped the tension in the strap and essentially removed the noise. I called RF Concepts for comments and they had heard of the problem and agreed with me that I was on the right track for a fix. As received the aged blower was a little noisy and its getting louder as time goes along. Also, they did not make any circuit modifications and I understand that the 24 volts on the amp keying relay was later reduced to 12 VDC.
AMP RATING 5.0
RF CONCEPTS RESTORATION RATING 3.0
73 Jim, retired engineer k5yzs

WA0KBT Rating: 4/5 Apr 19, 2013 10:30 Send this review to a friend
Good amp, but if buying used - check main transformer brand  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the best amp I have owned and the only one that worked perfect on every band I have used it on (I dont use 160) Mine is 9 years old and at that time was made by Cross Link. But....I recently had the main power transformer HV winding fail. Very costly item and not one you would expect to fail. Alpha (RF Concepts) tech support advised that for a period of time Cross Link used transformers made by Magnelab and had alot of problems. Apparently many were replaced on warranty but mine lasted longer. So if you are buying an older one 2nd hand you might check to see if the main transf is a Magnelab....could be a time bomb waiting to happen. Otherwise a great amp.

LA1U Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2013 08:47 Send this review to a friend
Simply the Best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had a few amp's earlier but decided I wanted a certified preown Alpha 99 from RF Concepts. Transported all the way from US to North Norway by FedEx. After a few days both boxes received safe & sound and since then been a happy Alpha owner. Amp works great, very robust and very reliable with a most helpful protection circuit.
Simply the best I owned so far!

K7UA Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2013 13:25 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
It has been 7 years since I bought my Alpha 99 that I reviewed earlier here. A few years later I bought a second one used directly from Alpha as a backup unit. Great amps. I have had a couple of issues with mine over that length of time including one bad tube. Not bad for 7 years of DXing and contesting. Customer service has always been first rate. I still give the 99 a 5!

K4BOF Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2013 07:14 Send this review to a friend
Alpha 99,...a Tried and True Amplifier  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Considering the many HF amplifiers out there, I decided to step up to a full, legal limit amp. A natural choice for me was the RF Concepts Company-Alpha given their solid products, excellent reputation, service/repair, and superb customer relations/support (Molly).
The Alpha 99 has been around for a while now and seems to continually be a highly, sought after amplifier on the used market,... holding its value very well.
Compared to the 91B (Bulgarian-made), the 99 (Made in USA) has the Hypersil Peter Dahl transformer and some other differing parts. Both 91B and 99 use the same rugged and dependable Russian tubes, but there is just something about the stamp on the back that reads,...'Longmont, CO'.
I researched this amplifier for a long time and made several contacts with Molly about possibly purchasing a newer 8410. I decided to go with a used 99 instead due to its great reputation and storied reliability. The 8410 in itself, was designed off of the 99's chassis and platform.
I strongly recommend this amplifier if you are looking for legal limit,...it loafs all day long @ 1.5kW with 40-50W exciter drive.
Considered a 'Legacy' amp by RF Concepts-Alpha, parts seem readily available if there is a future problem. The blower in mine started to rattle so I ordered a new one. Installation was a snap and now whisper quiet.
I am looking forward to many years of service with this truly, wonderful amplifier.

PP2FRS Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2012 22:33 Send this review to a friend
Ótimo Amplificador  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Eu comprei o meu primeiro Alpha 99 em Agosto de 2012, ele é simplismente o melhor linear que ja tive, gostei tanto que acabei comprando um segundo, so que este é o Alpha 99CS. Tenho os 02 em minha estação (Veja QRZ.
A sintonia muito facio e trabalha sem ruido, muito silensioso.
Parabéns a Alpha!! Os amplificadores sao realmente os melhores, "QUE VENHA O 8410 MINHA PROXIMA COMPRA"

Fred
PP2FRS

KD0AA Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2012 16:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent 99!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a very happy new owner of a “Legacy” 99! Molly helped me buy a “Certified Preowned" 99 with warranty and it looks almost like new. You can tune “by the numbers” and it loafs along at the legal limit. It is very quiet, even with the auxiliary fan on! I should have bought an Alpha many years ago! I am looking forward to many years of enjoyment with my 99! Call Molly! Get an Alpha! You will be happy you did!