Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Alpha 99 Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha 99
Alpha 99 Reviews: 74 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $3850 + shipping
Description: The Ultimate Value in a linear amplifier - Made in USA
More info: http://www.rfconcepts.com/

You can write your own review of the Alpha 99.

KY5G Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2012 22:48 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Alpha 99 for quite a few years now. I love it! Have never had a problem with it--except for those I accidently induce. Then, the protection circuit kicks in and saves me and the amp. The Alpha has helped me to work a lot of DX. I keep a tuning chart for each antenna and bands: Tune and Load settings. I can switch bands and be ready to go in seconds.

VE3FWA Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2012 13:16 Send this review to a friend
It does everything I expect from it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own Alpha 99 for a few years now. What a geat amp. Very solid design. Reltively light, very powerful and most important, very reliable. If I was to choose another amp in the future, Alpha would be at the top of the list. Thanks for a great product.
73! Ed VE3FWA

W7AV Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2012 09:29 Send this review to a friend
Final Comments  Time owned: more than 12 months
As I get ready to send my Alpha 99 back to the factory as a trade-in on the Alpha 9500, I must say that after 5-6 years of ownership I could not have asked for more out of an amplifier. It never once failed to perform at peak output, and the 99 forgave my errors of trying to tune up on the one band with the amp on another, super fast default. Why am I getting another amp if I like this one so much? Just want to try something new and the trade-in price I got was VERY GOOD. Looking forward to another great amp--you get what you pay for with Alpha.

SM3LGO Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2012 01:06 Send this review to a friend
Ask me  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have had this amp for a year now (bought it directly from RF Concepts) and am very, very happy with it. (It has serial number 499, it's the second to last ever made from what I understand.)

The only slight "issue" I can think of is that it draws a lot of current from the AC line. When the amp is keyed, the AC supply line voltage drops from 217V to 207V. But this is the house wiring's fault rather than the amp's. RF Concepts recommended me to try wiring the amp for 200V instead of 220V in order to achieve the nominal 1500W output, which I haven't tried yet. I now get 1200-1300W which I think suffices.
All in all, I would not hesitate to recommend you to buy this amp if you can find one. It feels really robust and operates quietly.

N3US Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2012 17:52 Send this review to a friend
Awesome and Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my Alpha 99 since 2004 and it has been a dependable and easy to tune-up Amp. I typically only drive it with 35 watts for 1500 watts output. When I occasionally make a mistake such not properly changing the band switch, the fault protection kicks in to protect the GU-74Bs. Over the years, I have been extremely pleased with the world class customer service provided by Molly and Glenn. My next Amp will be an Alpha 8410 because I find Alpha Amps starting with my Alpha 76A purchased in 1978 to be the best HF amps available.

W4WFB Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2012 13:08 Send this review to a friend
Great Amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two Alpha 99s. The Alpha 99 is a dependable workhorse that never gives trouble. That is why I have two. If you can find one at the right price, buy it. You will be glad you did.

AB3CX Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2012 09:33 Send this review to a friend
Fine Equipment  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my Alpha 99 for about 4 years, I am the second owner. All it does is work reliably and faultlessly day after day. No trouble from it ever. Higly recommended, I don't know much about the newer models, but this one really kicks.

KK5H Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2012 20:03 Send this review to a friend
What a Horse!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got mine used from the certified used sales at Alpha. Molly made me a deal that I just could not refuse! Love working with these folks and they are super nice in person. This amp has performed beautifully, doing SSTV without even breathing deeply.

KR6G Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2012 09:56 Send this review to a friend
Out standing  Time owned: more than 12 months
Over 50 years in ham radio, this is by far the best amplifier I have ever used. No matter how many dumb things I try to do to it, it faults and saves me, time after time. You really need to have a Alpha to complete your ham radio experience

K5BG Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2011 07:26 Send this review to a friend
If You Don't Have An Alpha Get One!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Licensed since 1972. Amps owned include Yaesu FL2100B, Heathkit SB200, 220 and 1000,
Ameritron AL80A, AL80B, AL1200 and a few others along the way.
I switched to Alpha with a 78 a few years ago and now have a 99 which will turn into an 8410 in the near future.
Simply said, the Alphas do their job whether RTTY, CW or phone contesting, rag chewing etc. Count on your Alpha to loaf along while delivering legal limit day in and day out. Another positive is you don't even realize it is on because it's so quiet.
It is an integral part of the shack.
The ONLY amp to own when you want the best.