Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Alpha 99 Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha 99
Alpha 99 Reviews: 74 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $3850 + shipping
Description: The Ultimate Value in a linear amplifier - Made in USA
More info: http://www.rfconcepts.com/

You can write your own review of the Alpha 99.

W0DC Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2011 15:56 Send this review to a friend
Step Up to an Alpha!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 99 is a solid amplifier that will serve you well for many years. Don't believe the talk about replacement GU74b's being tough to find. There are many Internet vendors selling good tubes, and if you want zero risk, buy a matched pair from RF Concepts (Alpha).

After many years in the ham radio game, I've learned that Alpha amplifiers are an investment, and a good one at that!

John W0DC

PY1BR Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2011 06:33 Send this review to a friend
A Rolls Royce  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am still VERY happy with my Alpha 99. It's a marvellous product. I cannot live without. It's like a Rolls Royce....Thanks to Alpha that keeps going fine because they shipped more amplifiers in January than anytime in the history of Alpha!

W9WF Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2011 07:29 Send this review to a friend
Great AMP!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one of the first Alpha 99's made 10 years ago. It's like a Corvette: Performs flawlessly, fun to operate, and one of the only pieces of radio equipment that holds value. Thanks ALPHA! Gary W9WF

W5IF Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2011 04:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Investment  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was first licensed in 1972 and still remember the quality and reputation of the first ALPHA Amps. Well folks they have only gotten better with age! This is an example of what an American company can be and should be. I have owned an Alpha 99 since they were first put into production and have found it to be a solid performer. It will produce the legal limit with very little drive, it is quiet and produces a very clean signal. While not currently in production, they are a great amp and should the opportunity arise, buy one. Just call Molly at Alpha, she is great!

AC8AM Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2010 01:53 Send this review to a friend
Will whisper the legal limit!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Molly helped me into a used Alpha-99 and glad she did. I got a warranty on the amp and the tubes.
She even taught me how to save a bundle on shipping since I was close to my terminal.

The amp delivered was palliated with two boxes, assembly was easy and tuning it is easier than my
Heathkit HB-1000.

I shot exhaust temperature during heavy rag chew at 168 degrees at 1500 watts with an ambient of 91 deg. I believe this unit will last a long time, tube wise.

Digital readout is fast and bright, makes tuning easy. The amp is left at ear level and I can hear my radio relay but I donít hear the 99, just the lights change. If you listen close you can hear the two fans but since the exhaust is left rear/top that noise is as far away as it can get.

No lightweight at 77 pounds as far as power, it will whisper the legal limit!

PY8AZT Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2010 13:07 Send this review to a friend
What PA! Must to be an Alpha!  Time owned: more than 12 months
At PW7T - Fortaleza DX Group Contest Station, we use only Alpha Amplifiers on the shack. The Alpha 99 is one of them. This equipment runs under extreme conditions - 30 degrees Celsius at severe weather in Northeastern Brazil. We are active on major contests every year and it never failure even running full legal power 100% of time. Great PA for every serious contester effort. Congratulations Alpha! Need a PA? Get an Alpha 99 and forget about it!

N9IND Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2010 00:07 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Amp.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I made a trade with RF-Concepts and the Amp. that i traded in was an Alpha 374-A and it was a good Amp.They gave me a deal that could not be turned down and the Alpha-99 is one nice Amp. that probably will last me the rest of my life and then some. Molly told me that i would love this Amp. and she was right and i cannot add anything that has already been said about this great Amp. All i can say if you by one you should not be dissatisfied of the quality and performance! God Bless to all and Best Wishes to RF-Concepts.

DL1EJA Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2010 03:59 Send this review to a friend
real contest amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm working with this amplifier since quite some time, and it's absolutly reliable and trustable. I use it during contesting and DXing almost every day, and it is solide like a rock...

W8VI Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2009 15:48 Send this review to a friend
Highly recommend  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really like the Alpha 99 and how well it performs on the air. With no more than 50 watts of drive I can easily produce 1500 watts pep all day with minimal heat and low blower noise. I had a Commander HF-2500 for 19 years that was also an excellent amp but produced a lot of blower noise and utilized a tuned input circuit for each band - except WARC. My evaluation is based on owning the Commander HF-2500, Amp Supply LK-500ZA with two 3-500z's and the Alpha 99 for over a year.

Pro's of the Alpha 99:
- Easy to tune including WARC bands
- Loafs along all day at 1500 watts
- Quiet and low heat at legal limit
- Grid and high SWR protection
- Built in Led Watt Meter
- HV transformer easily un-bolts and un-plugs for service, cleaning and shipping
- 4cx800 tubes are rugged and powerful
- Lot's of "head room", output power and SWR forgiveness compared to solid state amp's

Con's:
- Seems to take forever to warm up when you hear a new one.

Tubes: The Eimac 3cx800's that came with my HF-2500 have lasted for over 19 years with full grid and output power. I believe that the Svetlana GU74B/4cx800's in the Alpha 99 will last at least as long if you take care of them. I have an extra set of GU74B's tubes but I doubt if I will ever need them.

Having enjoyed this amp for over a year now I would not hesitate purchasing another good used Alpha 99 or recommending one to a friend.

73, Gary W8VI

WA4CAX Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2009 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Alpha A+  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my first Alpha in 2006 ( used Alpha 99)....This amp is a reliable work horse with a lot of headroom...The 99 uses 2ea. GU74B Russian tetrodes. A replacement pair can be had for ~$400.00 on the surplus market. Generally date codes on these tubes are 1970 to 1990s so proper pre-conditioning is needed (gettering,testing and matching)...New tubes are available from Alpha at market prices.....

WA4CAX....