Reviews Categories | Ham radio kits | Elecraft XG1 Receiver Test Oscillator Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft XG1 Receiver Test Oscillator
Elecraft XG1 Receiver Test Oscillator Reviews: 7 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $39
Description: The Elecraft XG1 Receiver Test Oscillator is a 7040 kHz crystal oscillator with accurate 1 uV and 50 uV output levels. It's ideal for receiver test and alignment. The 1-uV output can be used to measure a receiver's sensitivity, while the 50-uV output is useful for S-meter calibration.
More info: http://www.elecraft.com/

You can write your own review of the Elecraft XG1 Receiver Test Oscillator.

K6SDW Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2008 14:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great tool to have when testing a receiver!

Great job Elecraft!!

K6IOU Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2006 17:56 Send this review to a friend
Fun Kit . . . Great Tool  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hi all,

The last kit I built was a Heathkit . . . and that was a century ago. This little thing brought back those pleasant memories and was a great way to spend a couple of hours one evening at the bench.

All the parts were there . . . and it worked perfectly the first time. I don't know if it's my eyes or if resistors are smaller than in the ol' Heathkit days . . . but I needed to use a DVM to measure the resistor values . . . I just couldn't make out the color codes [yes! I do remember them].

Verified that both my 756PROII and my 706MK2g were 'right on' at S-9. Above and below . . . all bets are off.

Now I'm looking around for something else to build. I do miss the old days with point-to-point wiring and components you could actually identify.

DON
K6IOU

KZ1O Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2004 10:54 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very pleased with the fast delivery (ordered on 7/23, in my mailbox on 7/26) and superb quality of the kit. Manual was written for easy installation. A couple of minor problems that have been noted on the Elecraft reflector (BNC connector soldering tabs don't fit holes, U2 regulator labeling not described correctly). So it took a little extra thinking.

Now I want to go around and measure all the receivers I can get my hands on. The reason I bought it is that I just got my TS-2000 back from the shop, and it doesn't seem to hear as well as it used to. I don't own a signal generator any more and didn't want to have to buy one. Now I don't have to!

KZ1X Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2004 11:47 Send this review to a friend
why can't I give this a '10' ?  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
BOY! what a useful and handy gadget! Fully self-contained and pocket sized, it's indispensable around the shack and the shop.

Goes together, literally, in minutes.

I have combined mine with a couple of hamfest-sourced fixed 50 ohm BNC in-line attenuators, so I can go 20 and 30 dB below 1 microvolt.

This is a must-have accessory, in my opinion, and there are darned few "must-haves" in my book.

K2JN Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2004 15:55 Send this review to a friend
Essential test gear for the shack  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Useful piece of test gear for checking out receivers. Itís easy to build and has high-quality components and board. A one-evening project worth owning.

NJ3F Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2004 00:48 Send this review to a friend
gotta have it.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought one when the first came out. Love it. I only wish the lowest level was .25microvolt instead of one. I have yet to find one radio that doesnt hear at 1 microvolt. I built mine in and old pager case, with belt clip and pl259 slipon adapter. Look for me at your local hamfest. Armed and dangerous.

N7KZZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2004 21:37 Send this review to a friend
Another Elecraft gem  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Too many aspects of our hobby get rated in terms of subjective judgement calls. The Elecraft XG1 allows good quality measurements of a receiver's minimum discernable signal (MDS) to be made with only the XG1 and a good RMS DVM. Since I got the XG1, I have had to test every receiver that I can get my hands on!
The kit is typical Elecraft high quality, its connection to the receiver under test is simple and the calculations are within the reach of any ham (base 10 logarithm is used). This is a piece of test gear that hams have long needed and the price is right.