Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | SGC SG-211 micro-coupler Help

Reviews Summary for SGC SG-211 micro-coupler
SGC SG-211 micro-coupler Reviews: 15 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $179.95
Description: Internally powered micro-antenna coupler.
Offering both balanced & un-balanced outputs.
Rugged steel casing.
More info: http://www.sgcworld.com/Newsletter/Dec03/SG211.htm

You can write your own review of the SGC SG-211 micro-coupler.

MM0HAI Rating: 4/5 Aug 2, 2011 15:07 Send this review to a friend
Good but not idea for portable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Good: Wide tuning range.

Bad: Relatively sharp edges - not ideal for sota. The case is easily bent. Build quality is generally good but is compromised by the modification to add a tuning lock switch. This was required because otherwise it tends to retune when you don't want it to.

I took some photos inside when I took it apart to bend the case back into shape: http://mm0hai.net/blog/2011/06/02/SGC-211-autotuner.html

LU5DDX Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2010 16:09 Send this review to a friend
exelente  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
muy buen tuner para el rango de precio , yo lo probe con un alambre de 12 mts en el balcon y ajusto en todas las bandas sin problemas ..
es mas sensible en 50mhz pero con la llave lock solucionado el problema ... ojo con la power ...no more 50watts ssb or 20 watts in fm - saludos 73s desde argentina ...jorge

M3EPD Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2008 09:53 Send this review to a friend
A FANTASTIC TUNER.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi
This SGC - 211 AUTO Tuner is FANTASTIC.

It tunes my Wire Antennae, on all bands fom 10 to 160 very quickly.

The tranceiver is a KENWOOD TS 570D.

Now all I have to do, is wait and wait and wait, patiently, like everyone else, for better HF conditions .lol.
73s
tony M3EPD

EI6DP Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2007 14:25 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant Tuner.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my SGC SG-211 for over two years now and have found it operates faultless - (I got it free when I purchased my SGC 2020).

I have read the reviews on the SG-211 and to be honest I think it is the "end user problem". In fact, I use my SG-211 not only with my 2020 but also with my other portable equipment (Military) and the SG-211 functions FAULTLESS. It has tuned up Long Wires, my Centre Fed Dipole, my Out Backer mobile aerial
and even "in error" a short length of twin feeder, I forgot to switch the aerial switch over.
I would rate the SG-211 as one of the best ever little tuners which I have clapped eyes on.

73 de Ger
EI6DP
www.qrz.com

K3NG Rating: 3/5 Nov 11, 2006 18:41 Send this review to a friend
OK  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've experienced the "I think I'll retune" problem in the middle of QSOs as well. Sometimes this tuner will tune up the wackiest impedance with no problem, other times it can't tune a simple antenna to save its life. I think with some more refinement this product could be a 5.

It is packaged nice and a joy to take camping.

7M3CKK Rating: 4/5 Mar 9, 2006 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Clrear Spray  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I bought SG-211 in this month. When I recieved
and opened the box first, SG-211 was damaged
hardly. However, all outer packages were not
damaged at all even inside of the cardboard box.
The fact clearly shows that it was damaged
before packaging in the manufacture.

So I told it to a shop from which I bought
it and the shop sent me a new SG-211 quickly.
The damaged SG-211 still could worked(so tough!)
and I could use it by the new SG-211 till new
one would come. It worked well.

Several days later, I got the new SG-211.
I had to send back the damaged one to the shop
however, I had two SG-211 at the same time for
a several days. I compared them.
They had terribly difference for a product of a manufacture.
1. one has lock washer, the other one doesn't.
2. one has lock swich made in U.S and fasten by
a cool circle ring on the front panel,
the other one's lock washer is made in Japan,
little smaller than U.S switch and buckled
with a hexagonal nut on its front panel.
it doesn't have a good look.
3. one has broken battery case.
4. Their lubber feet never stand well on a
flat surface. one of them always doesn't
touch on the floor.

I had only two of a LARGE amout of SG-211 in the
world. However, they had such difference and
poor product quality. These things often make
me doubt SG-211 works propery or not.
Even though, they seem to work well!
That's American!

Anyway, while I was usuing the damaged SG-211, I
noticed its aluminum case got easily scrached as
some one commented. So, after I recived the new
SG-211, I fisrt displaced the case and sprayed
clear lacquer on it. The clear spray made a hard
layer on the aluminum case and it prevents from
scraches still keep the cool texture of aluminum.

By the way, I connected a 3m short wire on SG-211.
My hand made 96cm magnetic loop works better
though, SG-211+wire antenna allows me quick QSY!!
it's great! and no external power is needed,
it's really convenient!!!

K2BFY Rating: 4/5 Jan 13, 2006 07:16 Send this review to a friend
Using to tune 83 ft. attic loop  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Tunes non resonant 83 ft. loop in attic from 160m to 6m. It tends to retune at random on the lower bands 160m to 40m so I removed the "lock/tune" switch and put a sub-mini phone jack in the hole that was occupied by the switch. The phone jack was wired to the coil of a small 12V relay and the relay contacts were sonnected to the 2 wires that were unsoldered from the switch. 24 ga. speaker wire was run down to the shack where it is plugged into an Altoids tin containing a switch and a 9V battery. Now I can operate the lock/tune function remotely from my shack. Henry K2BFY, Sterling VA

WA5KPE Rating: 4/5 Mar 29, 2005 20:32 Send this review to a friend
Does a good job  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If anyone had told me 6 months ago that I would write a favorable review of this tuner I would not have thought so.

I bought the tuner six months ago and gave up on trying to use it because it contunually retuned after arriving at good matches. I had the switch modification installed recently and now I am a happy camper.

In using it I am able to obtain better matches to my Cobra Ultralite doublet than I can with my MFJ-974 balanced line tuner. I am able to bring the 450 ohm windowed line into my shack and connect it directly to the 211. The 211 sits on my desk beside my K2 where all I have to do is flip the switch for a retune when I change bands.

This tuner is apparently the closest thing to a true balanced line tuner available in an autotuner. I have no complaints about its performance when used in this manner.

DL3LED Rating: 2/5 Feb 10, 2005 09:39 Send this review to a friend
Longwire tuner only?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
From what I had read about this tuner (including the user's manual) I thought I could use it to match about everything within a reasonable impedance range - end fed wires, dipoles, whips and so on - the impedance range specified covers about the same range as the SG-230!

When I received the tuner I immediately hooked it to a good ground system and a very short (abt 3 mtrs) of wire - inside my shack of course :-). The SC-211 found a good match on all bands! Initial tune takes some time (sometimes 10 seconds or more), which might cause problems if your qrp transceiver cannot withstand the reflected power for such a long time, but if this isn't a problem for you, everything else is fine. Since the tuner remembers settings for recently-used frequencies, changing bands later can be accomplished within less than a second.

Next day I performed a test using some "long" variant of a ZS6BKW antenna (about 60 mtrs dipole fed using wireman). Surprise: the SG-211 did find good matches for 40 mtrs and above, but didn't find ANY match on 80 mtrs and 160 mtrs, while the builtin tuner (kwd 570) did! VSWR on 80 mtrs as measured with the Kenwood transceiver and an VSWR analyzer was (only) about 3:1.

Next I connected a plain 50 Ohm dummy load and - guess what - the SG-211 found NO match on 80 and 160!!! Needless to say that the builtin tuner of my transceiver didn't have any problems with this VSWR (1:1), and even the (as far as I can judge by now: excellent) SG-230, which is specified as being a long wire tuner in the first place, found a perfect match.

BTW: The tuner I received had scratches on the case out of the box, and I was told that this was also the case with other units. Personally, I don't mind, since this case will certainly get much more scratches when you start using it. Just looks a bit weird - I first thought I got a used unit...

So I thought I received a broken unit and returned it to my dealer, but I was told that other units he had on stock behaved the same way and according to his knowledge this tuner doesn't get along very well with "low impedance" antennas (e. g. near-resonant dipoles).

Summary: If you are looking for a low power tuner for use with long wires / random length wires only, this one might be for you. There are few automatic tuners on the market that can be operated from battery power only, and this one doesn't even require external power supply. Just plugin, connect some wire and operate. However, don't expect this tuner to do the same job as builtin tuners! Despite the broad impedance range it is specified for it WON'T match everything! The SG-211 ISN'T a qrp version of the SG-230!

My dealer offered me to get my money back or puchase something else, which I gracefully accepted. Thanks for this excellent service!

I will keep my LDG RT-11 which doesn't have such a broad range of impedances that can be tuned, but will happily tune everything that those builtin tuners do and much more. Since it uses latching relays as well, it can well be used for portable qrp operation. Just a few more cables and maybe I need to build a balun for use with certain antennas. And, for home and contest use, the SG-230 seems to be unbeatable. It is too big and too current-hungry for qrp portable use, however.

WA4GKI Rating: 2/5 Nov 30, 2004 13:05 Send this review to a friend
Poor Customer Support  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
OK tuner if it would hold a match. It is a commnly known problem with the first 1000 earlier models. Now SGC has a new model, but they refuse to upgrade previous owners couplers. It could be an excellent tuner if SGC would provide some support and quit blaming everyone but themselves