Reviews Categories | Receive Pre-amps | SSB Electronics Help

Reviews Summary for SSB Electronics
SSB Electronics Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $120-$475
Description: High quality low noise GaAsfet preamplifiers, SP2000 & SP7000
More info: http://www.ssbusa.com/

You can write your own review of the SSB Electronics.

G4TRA Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2017 06:34 Send this review to a friend
SP-200 Fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use an SP-200 2m LNA mounted under my little 11 element Tonna. The unit has a variable (small hole under unit to access pot) 10-20dB gain, plus 0.5dB NF and handles 500w 100% duty cycle (Digital/FM) and 750w variable cycle (SSB/CW) so is ideal for normal UK license. The unit is well built with internal screened case covered by the usual plastic outer and apart from sealing of the N Type connectors, needs no further protection to say aloft full time. The unit maybe hard switched either through a sequencer over the feeder or has an internal VOX C/O capability (100w limit).

In use with my 11 element and 15m of RG213 I set the LNA gain to maximum, which is ideal for EME operation, but for MS and SSB tropo I insert a 10dB attenuation on the radio.

Although it may seem expensive the SSB Electronics SP-200 is probably the best addition you will make to your weak signal DX 2m station. For my little set up 1x11+400w+SP-200 LNA, then in three years I have managed 445 QRA squares and 56 DXCCs, all on 2m.

Highly recommended.

W4RAA Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2017 05:36 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been looking for a 1296mhz pre-amp, comparing the various makes/models and the one that would always come up with the features, specs and setup I wanted was the SSB SP-23. I met with Gerry at the Orlando Hamfest and after a very pleasurable conversation I decided the SP-23 was the pre-amp I wanted. I placed my order and my SP-23 arrived about 10 days later. The SP-23 lives up to it's advertised specifications. It is well constructed
and delivers outstanding performance. The RF sensing works 100%. This pre amp is now making the difference in hearing the weak signal stations and making the contacts.

AA2UK Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2017 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic mast mounted LNA  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using various SSB Electronics mast mounted preamps since the 1990's. These units really wake up the performance of my station. The SP33-903, SP23-1296 and SP13-2304 units make the difference between making a solid contact or no contact at all. The 2 meter and 432mhz units handle high power and make distant contacts a breeze. I even have one of the rare 222mhz units.
If you're serious about VHF and above I highly recommend you purchase SSB mast mounted LNA's and sequencing. Jerry (SSB Electronics USA) is great at providing service long after the sale. A +++

NG4C Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2016 08:41 Send this review to a friend
SP 200 and DCW 2004b  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased the new pre-amp form Jerry at SSB USA a few months ago. Superb service. Pre-amp performs flawlessly, very well constructed. I own a few other ssb pre-amps,which are still working after more than 15 years of contest operation. Great products.
Thanks
NG4C

K5NHR Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2016 08:07 Send this review to a friend
Great service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Call to check on getting a new preamp. Jerry ask about old one. Had me send it to him(MHP 145). Fixed it, better than new, lower noise lever .32 instead of .5. Could have sold me a new one at twice the cost, but being the honest man he is fix the old one. Up and working great on the tower on the 2 meter stack Jerry, Thanks for everything. Brad K5NHR , PS have a SSB 440 preamp too, been up for 4 years and still working great.

VE4SW Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2014 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Best units available!  Time owned: more than 12 months
These are great units with a huge advantage over similar competing units. The SSB preamps have an adjustable gain! Using them for years now and no problem. In this case you really get what you pay for, a first class product!

KY4MRG Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2013 13:02 Send this review to a friend
SP-2000 Great Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought The SP 2000 to use on my 2 meter station. I was told from a couple of hams that it was the one to have. I could not be more pleased with the preformance of this product. Had to send back to SSB after a static charge took it out, their service is as great as the SP-2000.Quick turn around and i was back in business. A little pricey but well worth it.
Mike ky4mrg

VA5LF Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2010 11:47 Send this review to a friend
Great performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've got the SP-2000 I bought for use with my small EME array. I've been very impressed with the results. I'm only running 200W to the array, but it has been able to handle it no problem. I've since built a sequencer as I plan to eventually run more power, but the RF sensing worked 100% when I was using that.

I've now used the array for EME, meteor scatter, and terrestrial QSOs, many of which wouldn't have been possible without the SP-2000. I liked the results so much, I'm about to put up an SP-7000 for my satellite array.

K3KLC Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2009 07:19 Send this review to a friend
Best use of your VHF $$  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Remarks: After putting together an echolink "link" station (K3KLC-L), I realized that my basic two meter FM simplex capability was pretty minimal. I've upgraded the antenna, raised the antenna height, improved the coax (to LMR-400, with a move to hardline in the works), I added a power amplifier...and...all of these things are imnportant...but...the best return on my money was adding an SSB Electronics SP-2000 pre-amplifier right up at the antenna. The RF switching makes it an easy improvement to implement and the results have been fantastic. I've purchased several items from SSB Electronics and have found Gerry good to work with (called from his vacation, when I thought I had an issue with a "drop shipped" item). A mast mounted preamp is the first accessory you should think of, when setting out to improve your two meter FM or SSB capability. 73 Sam

W6DXO Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2009 20:49 Send this review to a friend
Just Fantastic!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted to use my CushCraft A270-10S dual band antenna for satllite use. The antenna was mounted on an 80' tower some distance from my shack. I had tried other preamps with limited success before the SSB Electronice SP-7000.

After installing the SP-7000 at my antenna feed point all I can say is this is a product that really delivers. I can now copy the V/U LEO sats on low angle passes with signals of S4 to S9. This preamp is clearly delivering the promised 20db gain and the noise floor is very, very low. None of the other preamps I tried were delivering this type of performance.

The support has also been great..I have called several times with some simple questions and Jerry was always helpful and had a great attitude.

As others have said, worth every penny!

73 de harry, W6DXO