Reviews Categories | Receive Pre-amps | SSB Electronics Help

Reviews Summary for SSB Electronics
SSB Electronics Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $120-$475
Description: High quality low noise GaAsfet preamplifiers, SP2000 & SP7000
More info: http://www.ssbusa.com/

You can write your own review of the SSB Electronics.

KQ6EA Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2009 12:39 Send this review to a friend
Worth Every Penny!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using these for several years now on my satellite antennas. They work extremely well, have good gain, and a low noise-figure.
If you're working satellites, a preamp is a MUST, preferably mounted at the antenna, and these won't let you down.
WELL worth the money.

W4TME Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2009 18:59 Send this review to a friend
Rock Solid  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the 6m, 2m and 70cm mast mounted preamps and they have been up for years and perform flawlessly. Excellent construction and you can adjust the gain for max s/n of your particular antenna system. They are not cheap, but I do not have to worry about them once they are up on the mast and operational. I also purchased the DCC-12N bias T to power them over the coax and they work very well too. Don't skimp on a cheaper preamp, you will end up paying more in the long run.

WB2OQQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2008 06:10 Send this review to a friend
Worth The Investment  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was interested in a preamp for both 432MHz and 144MHz for weak signal SSB Satellite Activity. After extensive research on a preamp with the lowest Noise Floor and Max Power output capacity I narrowed the search to a few units. I then contacted the companies to see how their support would be and after spending some time with Jerry of SSB I was totally convinced that this was the best preamp with the best support. I was not disappointed, I have an Icom IC-910H, turn the preamp button on and the radio comes alive with signals that would be undetected without it. The units mount easily and are well constructed for the weather, power is supplied from your coax if your radio supports it. If you want a good receiving satellite station and you are not fortunate to have an unobstructed horizon or an
antenna at 60 feet, SSB is the way to go.

WB3IGR Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2008 06:04 Send this review to a friend
SSB UEK-2000 2404 Receive Converter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
SSB 2304 UEK-2000 Receive converter for the 2304 SHF band. Works great and with only a 15 element loop yagi, pulls in signals from as far away as 120 miles. It has a great pre-amp. The cost is a little high at $400.00 but well worth it.

VE2DC Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2007 06:20 Send this review to a friend
Good product... free from intermod  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use their SP-2000. With a run of 300' to my 2M antenna... it was necessary! Works well and no front end overload close to a major city. Interchangeable with the Icom units with far superior performance.

W9NLP Rating: 4/5 Nov 9, 2004 03:46 Send this review to a friend
SSB preamps--you get what you pay for  Time owned: more than 12 months
I see I'm the first to submit comments on preamps from SSB Electronic.

These units are the Cadillac of preamps--and, like anything, you get what you pay for. I've used the SP2000 and MHP-145 models on 2M with outstanding results, including EME. Even with a noise figure of around 1 db@144Mhz, the SP2000 does a great, all-around job. It has RF sensing and can be tower-mounted.

If you're really serious about weak-signal work and high power (1KW or more) on 2M, get the MHP-145. But, please remember that the MHP-145 has no RF sensing, so you'll need to sequence the keying to shut off the preamp before RF is applied. SSB makes a good sequencer for this.

Service-wise, they've always been excellent with me. I've accidentally smoked several FETS, and they always provided a quick turn-around time for repair. I highly recommend their preamps--they're expensive, but worth the price.