Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Palstar DL5K Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar DL5K
Palstar DL5K Reviews: 8 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $350
Description: 5KW CAPACITY DUMMY LOAD
More info: HTTP://WWW.PALSTAR.COM

You can write your own review of the Palstar DL5K.

AB4D Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2016 16:54 Send this review to a friend
Nice Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently found I had a use for a high power dummy load, beyond the usual 1.5KW range. Weighing cost against required performance. I found the Palstar DL5K fit both my needs, and what I wanted to spend on a dummy load. They are now out of production, but I found one "like new" that I was able to purchase from another amateur.

It's a dummy load, so not too much to write, except to say it works well and will handle the rated power. I've dumped over 4,000 watts into the load, and it didn't break a sweat. The automatic fans turned on when the two very large ceramic resistors became warm. The fans do make a bit of noise, but that is reasonable, considering the amount of wattage the resistors have to dissipate.

The built in analog meter is okay for general "close enough" readings. In comparison to an Alpha 4510 watt meter. On both the 500 and 5000 metering settings, the power readings on the internal meter are about 25 to 50 watts lower than reported by the Alpha meter.

The SWR using the load is just a tad lower than 1.2:1. Acceptable, considering it's power rating and cost. It does a nice job for those that need to test amplifiers at our station.

In summary, I would say the DL5K is more rugged than it is precision. I have no regrets about the purchase.

73, Jim AB4D

N6ERP Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2015 18:37 Send this review to a friend
Does the job  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works fine.. I like the built in lighted watt meter, and automatic fan. Never had a problem.

WR5G Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2013 21:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Dummy Load for the Price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After purchasing an Expert 2K-FA Amplifier I decided that my DL2K (which is also a great Dummy Load) would not be sufficient in handling the power capabilities of the new amp (in excess of 2KW). I already own a DL2k but with it's rated power at a maximum of 2KW I decided that I should have the larger DL5K for the Expert 2K-FA. This Dummy Load works as expected and has no problem handling 2Kw during an extended period of time. The fans do kick on when needed and are rather loud, but that is what you should expect when putting over 2Kw unto the dummy load during a thorough system test. For the price, this Dummy Load is top of the line in my book.. 73 de Jerry (WR5G)

N4WN Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2013 07:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Dummy Load  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I run QRO and regularly test amps above legal limit. I started with an Ameritron ADL-1500. The oil would get extremely hot quickly and had long cooling/recovery time--unusable.
I purchased a new PALSTAR DL-2K. Even though it was a great dummy load, it was too small for my needs. I replaced it with a DL5K and the Dummy Load search is over. This Dummy load is unbelievable. Its thermostatically switched twin fan cools the two large resistors quickly. The meter needed calibrated a small bit. Using a PowerMaster II, I was able to calibrate the meter perfectly in low and high wattage settings. The SWR match is 1.2 to 1. Some reviewers gave higher readings. Possibly the newer version that I have has gotten the SWR closer to a flat reading.
PALSTAR service is impeccable. You can call and talk to a live person. The price is steep for a dummy load. However, you get what you pay for. Not a big price when comparing repairing a Alpha amp or even an AMeritron Al 1500 like I operate.

WV0T Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2007 13:31 Send this review to a friend
Now THIS is a dummy load!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted a dummy load I didn't have to worry about. The Palstar DL5K fills that bill perfectly. I can dump the full power of my Henry 3K Classic X Mark II into it and it gets turned into heat. No problem. The meter doesn't quite match up with my LP-100 but it is close enough for tuning up.

WZ4I Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2006 04:39 Send this review to a friend
It's a 5+  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A real dummy load! Excellent construction, looks great, and performs as advertised. A great addition to the shack.

Mark - WZ4I

PA3DUV Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2005 13:30 Send this review to a friend
EATS RF POWER AND SCREAMS LIKE A JETLINER  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
No, you don't need a 5 kilowatt dummyload. Why not? Because you run legal limit.

For my Emtron DX-4 HF amplifier however a legal limit dummyload was not enough. The 6 kW PEP will burn down any legal limit load in no time.

The DL5K is a simple yet rugged design. 2 massive 100 ohm resistors chew the kilowatts away. When the 2 fans kick in, the dummy load screams like a jetliner taking off, and a hot air stream escapes from the DL5K

The power meter is not frequency compensated and is far from accurate. I don't care since the Array Solutions PowerMaster is used for that job.

The metalwork is first class, no plate screws or thin metalwork and poor finishing here.

NOT made in China, India nor made in Mexico by underpaid und underqualified labor or kids.
This is NOT more f$%&*ng junk but made in the USA in accordance with sound engineering standards by American engineers and workers.

Buy it, you will not regret it.

Cheers, Dick Knol
PA3DUV

KA1XO Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2004 21:22 Send this review to a friend
WORTHWHILE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
All the complaints I read about the Palstar DL2K were addressed in the making of the DL5K.

The buttons are on the front and the SO-239 is on the back.

The manufacturer pays attention to detail. There are nylon cushion washers under the cabinet screws. The cabinet screws are 6-32 machine screws and not self-tappers.

The fans cooling the resistor bodies have grids on both sides of the fans, and not just the cabinet grills. Entirely a quality move and much appreciated.

The wattmeter is selectable at 500 or 5KW and it compares with a Coaxial Dynamics so the calibration is correct. The meter light can be turned off if the meter isn't being looked at for tune-up purposes. The power connector is a four-pin microphone, threaded collar assembly instead of a cheapo barrel plug. The unit works. I can now tune up my linear amplifier and tweak it at full power (where linears need to be tuned up to) and not have to worry about smoking oil from my cantenna. The fans come on when the resistors warm up and turn off when they cool down.

The meter box is completely shielded with a grommet to protect the wires going in it.

Where have these people been all my life? Finally some real quality! If you own a linear amplifier and need a reasonable dummy load so you can tune up properly the DL5K is worth every penny. It's not too shabby looking either, as the finish is uniform and strong.