Reviews Categories | Microphones | Sennheiser MD421 II Dynamic Microphone Help

Reviews Summary for Sennheiser MD421 II Dynamic Microphone
Sennheiser MD421 II Dynamic Microphone Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $485
Description: The MD 421 II continues the tradition of the MD 421 which has been one of Sennheiser's most popular dynamic mics for over 35 years. The large diaphragm, dynamic element handles high sound pressure levels, making it a natural for recording guitars and drums. The MD 421's full-bodied cardioid pattern, and five-position bass control make it an excellent choice for most instruments, as well as group vocals, or radio broadcast announcers. One listen and you'll know why it's a classic.
More info: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/

You can write your own review of the Sennheiser MD421 II Dynamic Microphone.

G0VHS Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2012 19:20 Send this review to a friend
Unique sound  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
RE27 or MD421 II ? That was the choice for me.
No phantom power stuff that requires unnecessary interfacing etc.

After hearing both on air, and comparing the technical specs of many, many, microphones the most natural and to my ears and also has a unique sound, the Sennheiser won the battle.
You can select the rolloff filters easily...something that is a PITA with the RE-27.

Very pleased with it. Sounds great plugged straight into my Kenwoods and Icoms. Even better tailored to my sound likening by W2IHY's equipment.

It's a quantum leap over the Heil microphones I have like the Goldline Pro and HC4 and HC5.

The case material could be a little more robust, as I feel it potentially would mark easily.

KB7TPB Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2012 23:19 Send this review to a friend
I don't own one but would like too!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have heard the Sennheiser MD421 on the air and they have sounded awesome. Most people who write reviews haven't actually heard themselves on audio. I know when I'm hearing a Sennheiser MD421 II Dynamic Microphone as it is a clean, sharp and very easy to listen to. I have pulled the sounds out of these mics during pile-ups before I could get any other calls. I like listen to these mikes as they sound like they should and much more.

K8JHR Rating: 4/5 Oct 17, 2011 10:56 Send this review to a friend
OK - but overkill in this application  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a legendary microphone for studio work, but is truly overkill for ham radio use. SSB uses very little speech frequency audio bandwidth, about 2600 Hz. The human speech audio frequency spectrum is only between 150 Hz and 4,000 Hz, so practically any microphone costing more than $10 will have sufficiently linear response and produce sound good on pretty much any transceiver. This is a good, high-quality, well-built microphone, but overkill and, I think, inappropriate tool for the job.

Nevertheless, it is a super quality, luxuriously and durably well made product, and if you have need for an excellent recording microphone for other applications or uses, then this could serve double duty in the ham shack.

James / K8JHR

PD5L Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2009 13:56 Send this review to a friend
is there a better mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use my MD421 U 4 on my IC 765 and a get lots of complements about my modulation. It replaced my SM 8 which is a great mic. I tried Behringer B1 but the sennheiser is the best.

A great piece of German technic.

KI4UCO Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2009 19:02 Send this review to a friend
Great mic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using MD421 mics for the better part of my 25+ year broadcasting career. It is an OUTSTANDING mic. So it was a no brainer that when I wanted a better mic for my HF station, the 421 got the nod. I get consistently good comments on my audio from my contacts. A great microphone!!!

KF8RX Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2005 23:41 Send this review to a friend
Best Dynamic Mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This dynamic microphone sounds like a condenser mic. No phantom power makes it a natural for ham radio. Though it is a bit on the expensive side for most hams, if you are interested in Hi Fi audio this is the mic for you. I bought mine used for $200. New, they are discounted to $350.

I am using it with a W2IHY 8-band EQ and an EQ plus. The improvement going from my Heil PR-20, a great mic in it's own right, was dramatic. This mic is so smooth, I can run as much bass as I care to with absolutely no muddiness. There is a five position bass cut off switch near the connector that really works.

If ever there was a mic that deserves a "5" this is it.

Eric, KF8RX