Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - 6M/VHF/UHF+ | TE Systems 1452G Help

Reviews Summary for TE Systems 1452G
TE Systems 1452G Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $525
Description: 350 watt 2m mobile amp

You can write your own review of the TE Systems 1452G.

WO2C Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2016 08:33 Send this review to a friend
Great so far.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased both a 0552G & a 1454 amplifier directly from TE Systems. The amplifiers arrived in separate boxes, both extremely well packed, in just over a week.
The 1452 has worked flawlessly for the few days I've had it on the air. At 65-75 watts in, it delivers 325-350 watts out across the 2 Meter Band. While I purchased it with 2 Meter CW/SSB in mind, I've experimented with it and found that it delivers as much power on FM for those times I work FM simplex. (Yes, 99% of the time, it's ridiculous to use that much power on FM simplex. But, I like knowing the amplifier can handle it without overheating). Speaking of overheating, it hasn't yet, though I added a large computer fan overtop the heatsink as a precaution. From what I know of this amplifier, it's capable of more that 350 Watts. However, because the radio I'm using to drive it (an Icom 746) is known to produce damaging voltage spikes to TE Systems amplifiers, I operate it well within safe parameters.
On receive, the pre-amp makes a genuine difference. I've used it both with the radio's built-in pre-amps and without.
It's impossible to write a thorough review of a piece of equipment I've used only a few times. But, so far, I'm very pleased. 73, Ray, WO2C

K7ULS Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2015 05:12 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned since 2010 with over 190 EME qso's numerous MS for hours on end with a fan on top to avoid meltdown. Internal preamp works great provided not too much coax. And to remember do not overdrive and make sure swr on antenna is under 1.7 before introducing amp this can take out transistors and Dave charges a lot to fix them.

W0WOI Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2015 19:50 Send this review to a friend
Nice mid-power 2 meter amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Although the new MSRP direct from TE Systems is now $598, this is excellence in quality. Read the detailed manual FIRST. Everyone does, right? But do it and enjoy no-fault operation, 10W in gives 300+ out with a 75 amp power supply.

Quality superior to product "M".

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2014 22:06 Send this review to a friend
Great 2 meter all mode amplifier!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had one of these amplifiers for several years & it never let me down.It gave my ASTRON RS-70M power supply a workout & Yes it even made the fan in the ASTRON come on several times during band openings & some Meteor Scatter.They are NOT cheap but perform well for a small package & I don't remember ever hearing anyone on SSB or FM that I could not work with this amp inline.Very Quiet Gasfet preamp as well.Mid sized power house for 2 meters & very dependable.By far the BEST 2 meter amplifier I have ever owned!

K4MSG Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2013 15:49 Send this review to a friend
Great amplifier!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased to replace my workhorse 1412G, this amplifier is everything I hoped it would be. I use it on single-Yagi 144 MHz EME and it easily gives me 2 dB better average reports (using JT65b) than I usually got with the 1412G. Dave at TE is so great to deal with and the amplifier is well-constructed & solid.

I second another comment about using a fan; I consider it mandatory. Just buy a 4-inch or so 12-vdc muffin fan, use 8-32 long screws for legs and put some shrink tubing on them, and place the fan in the center of the heat sink facing down. I usually install a 30 to 50-ohm resistor in the "+" lead to drop the fan speed but the resultant cooling is more than adequate.

Make sure you have a 70 to 75-amp supply with this amplifier, and use large-gauge wire (I use #10 doubled up but #6 would be better) as it can draw up to 55 amps. My supply is an MFJ-4275MV and it works great with the 1452G.

W2PRJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2013 22:40 Send this review to a friend
GREAT PRODUCT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great!! Amp Works As Advertised Gets Full Output 350 Watts With 23 Watts Drive On 144.450 and A 1.5-1 swr And Less swr On 144.200. on a 2m. Loop And The GaAs-FET Pre-Amp Works Great With Out A Lot Of Static Noise I Put A Small 10" Fan On The Amp (Lap-Top Fan) And It Doesn't Even Get Warm !!I Called TE Systems and Dave Answered The Phone And Took The Order For The Two Amps One 6 Meter And One 2 Meter They Were Both Well Packed And Shipped Out When He Said They Would Be, Shipping Was Reasonable, Purchased 09/2012 Still Performs Like New On 06/2013 Will Buy Another For The 440 Mhz Band.

N4LI Rating: 4/5 Sep 29, 2010 18:39 Send this review to a friend
Very Good.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Iím a QRP guy. There really is something fun, challenging and elegant about working with as little power as necessary. But even I would agree that life is, indeed, too short for VHF QRP.

So, I bought a 1452G. Yes, itís a hoss. When the band opens, I can work EVERYTHING I can hear, even the weak stuff that the receive preamp makes audible. Ultimately, thatís the whole point of a VHF amp. Ainít it?!

My experience, though, has not been trouble-free. My unit came with a bad T/R relay. It took two trips back to L-A to get the issue fixed. But, Dave at T-E was sensitive to my issue and turned the amp around in a reasonable time frame. Plus, he generally answers the phone himself.

Once I got the amplifier on-line, I have been very happy with it. The only caveat I would give (other than the overdrive issue discussed by others) is to keep the unit cool. The box makes a small footprint, so it strains to dissipate the generated heat. After a minute or two of operation, the heat sink gets VERY warm. Fortunately, a fan will keep that issue in check. But, plan on it. A fan is NOT optional.

T-E Systems products are not cheap. But, I think they are worth it.

I canít give the 1452G a ď5Ē considering the T/R defect. I am giving it a ď4,Ē since there is no ď4.5Ē option.

Peter, N4LI

K7ULS Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2010 00:22 Send this review to a friend
Great amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
26 EME qso's so far with this amp with either a 2m12 or 2m7 at moonrise. Have a cross flow fan on top to keep it cool when running WSJT and input around 21 watts = 375 out.

K7ULS Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2010 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this amp a couple weeks ago got the 1452GS with the higher duty rating for running WSJT EME 24 watts in and 350-400 watts out depending on frequency. Number of EME qso's so far most recent using a single M2-2M7 to a 4x12 800w station at moonrise. I use an Astron RS-70m to power it up.
Thanks Dave

W3RXO Rating: 4/5 Jun 19, 2009 09:56 Send this review to a friend
Best square foot of electronics you can buy!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I rated it a 4, only because of it's lack of overdrive protection. It's a GREAT AMP!! Advertised as a 350 watt amp, mine does 400+, with about 17 watts drive, which is the most I would ever drive it with. Typically, with 10-15 watts of drive, I get 375 out. My very first contact with it was from my QTH in Pomona, to a fellow in Bakersfield, more than 125 miles, OVER THE MOUNTAINS!!! Second contact was into Santa Barbara, closer to 200 miles. I had a good receive signal on both stations already, but when I turned on the recv pre-amp, it brought them up considerably, without a noticeable jump in noise level. The receive pre-amplifier is FIRST RATE. I wish TE would build in some protection circuits, for over drive, high SWR and such. Otherwise, I don't believe you will find a better square foot of electronics gear, anywhere.