Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Radio Works Carolina Windom 40 Plus Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Works Carolina Windom 40 Plus
Radio Works Carolina Windom 40 Plus Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$110.00
Description: Off center fed 40, 30, 20, 17, 15 and 10 meter wire antenna made by Radioworks.com
More info: http://www.radioworks.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Works Carolina Windom 40 Plus.

K5RG Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2006 07:26 Send this review to a friend
Works As Advertised  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Mine is 75 feet above the ground. Works fine on all frequencies, even better once I got an antenna tuner (easier on the transmitter). I tried my best to improve the SWR for the CW frequencies. As Jim suggested - don't touch it. I couldn't make it any better than received.

VA7CRH Rating: 4/5 Apr 10, 2006 13:15 Send this review to a friend
Needs tweaking at my QTH  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
An update on the last review, because some problems have been solved.

When it rained, had grounding issues, 99% sure related to the construction of the lower line-isolator. Had to completely hermetically seal the line-isolator in the rain, as the lower cap on the PVC assembly let water in. Now there are no grounding issues.

The length of feedline remains an issue. With 80 feet of feed-line (rec. by Radio Works), 30 and 20 meters would not tune. Adding random lengths of feedline would clear up one and not the other. Now have a good compromise. So - pay attention to the length of feedline. (15 meters is still a problem, though.)

Finally - the 40Plus needs radials at my QTH, esp. for 30M CW. The antenna simply shorts out the tuner without the radial cut for 30M attached to the lower coax connector from the line-isolator. I now have radials cut for 15, 17, 20, 30, and 40 meters. (15 meters still won't tune, may be a combination of the feed-line length and radial.)

So, still an antenna far superior to a G5RV. But be prepared to tinker. I had to at my QTH.

Now.... if someone can do something about the solar cycle, we'll be in business.

VA7CRH Rating: 4/5 Mar 7, 2006 16:06 Send this review to a friend
Great upgrade from a G5RV  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First off - The Carolina Windom 40 Plus is a great antenna and light years above the half-size G5RV it replaced.

Second off - the customer service from Jim at Radio Works is second to none. E-mails were answered usually same day.

Mine is up 28 feet sligthly stealthy because of restrictions in the neighbourhood. I've used it a month and the world of 40 meters, amongst other bands, has opened up. Even though it is not rated for it I can now tune 80 meters easily.

Also, given the part of the solar cycle we're in, I can't believe the stations I've worked. Last weekend's contest helped (Mar 4-5) but I busted through a few pileups where the G5RV couldn't. (Heard Taiwan, Senegal and Mongolia, couldn't raise them.)

Why then the 4 out of 5? Well, it took a bit of tweeking to get the full value from the antenna. Jim at RW was up front with the need to feed it with at least 80 feet of feedline. I didn't listen initially and the antenna and tuner (MFJ 993 autotuner) didn't like each other on 20 and 30 meters.

Adding enough feedline to make 80 feet cured 20 meters' tuning issues but not 30 meters. Then 17 meters started to not hold a tune.

I read here on eHam that the Windoms can have these problems cured by adding cut-radials to the outer sleeve of the feedline coax right at the line-isolator at the bottom of the radiator.

It worked. Now a tune of 1.2:1 SWR is a bad tune.

So it is a keeper. I would suggest it to anyone who wants to be able to bust a pileup in a contest - 66' feet of antenna up 28 feet competed well with the yagis and the like.

KB6G Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2004 07:44 Send this review to a friend
Even Better 3 months later  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My Carolina Windom continues to get out on 10-40 with exceptional reports, like people can't believe I'm only running 50-100 watts. Recently noticed high level of R.F. getting back into shack on 40 meters. Was able to ground with MFJ Artificial Ground, but still shows a lot of ground current. A friend suggested I add a single counterpoise (radial) cut to 1/4 wave at 40 meters to connector outer conductor just below antenna line isolator. This provides an R.F. ground at the base of the antenna. Worked like a champ, and now virtually no R.F. in shack (verified with field strength meter), better audio reports, and no feedback into Heil noise cancelling headphones. I think this additional R.F. ground solved several problems; some that I have been reading about on various transceivers with R.F. feedback problems.

Just ordered a 10-80 Special so I can work 80 meters, which the 40 will not work at according to Carolina Windom folks. 80 Special has same footprint, but heavier components to tune down to 3.5 MHz. My QTH is very small, 50 X 100 foot lot, and this is largest I can accomodate.

Will report on new antenna after I have a chance to use it a while.

KG6UNW Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2004 15:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Omni Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Carolina Windom Short 40 LP (for low profile), to replace an Alpha Delta DXEE dipole that I had (nothing wrong with it except my neighbor thought it was too close to his house & I wanted to keep peace). I have a very small lot (50 X 100) and need to keep the antenna "invisible". I ran the longer leg from a 10 ft. PVC pole (from my 2nd story balcony to a tree on the rear property line, about 25 feet above the ground. The last 10 feet of the 18 gage nearly invisible wire runs vertical down the tree. The other shorter length runs in the opposite direction from the PVC pole to the peak of the roof (~30 feet above ground) but is only ~3 feet sloping from the actual roof. The 10 foot coax coming from the top of the PVC runs inside it and terminates into the suppied line isolator, since the outside of this coax acts as a 2nd vertical radiator. Then I ran 50 feet of RG213 coax to the shack with an 8 turn choke immediately after the isolator. Bottom line is it works great! Working stations with 50 watts in areas I never heard before. Getting good reports on 40, 20 & 17 meters so far. YL says, where is the antenna? (it is barely visable). Got excellent support from Jim at Radioworks when needed. VSWR is <3:1 untuned on 10-40 meters and <1.2:1 with MJF-949E Tuner. Have heard nothing buy rave reviews from other Hams who also own one.

AA2T Rating: 4/5 May 13, 2004 21:35 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ran fine on 40M and I also broke the E44DX pile up on 75M with it (and it's only 40M dipole sized!). I did burn up the balun on 15 meters with the amp. But rest of the bands were fine for a wire antenna.

K9IUL Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2004 20:40 Send this review to a friend
Marvelous Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put this antenna up between two trees, about thirty feet in the air. I have never used a windom before, and I was dubious about the claims, especially about the vertical radiator. Man o man, was I suprised! This baby is HOT! The wire runs north to south, so propagation east to west is great, but propagation north and south is right up there as well! I can jump into pileups with my 5 watt k1 and get a return call after three or four tries! Radioworks' claims for this antenna are all that they say, and more. On a tight budget? Give this baby a try! 10 dB gain over a dipole? at least! You can't go wrong!