Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Alpha 77Sx Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha 77Sx
Alpha 77Sx Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $6,500.00
Description: "Two-hole" (2 X 8877) version of the 77 DX HF Amplifier with QSK
More info: http://www.rfconcepts.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha 77Sx.

DL1EJA Rating: 4/5 Jan 31, 2010 04:09 Send this review to a friend
Life is to short for QRP  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this amplifier 2nd hand. It was broken, but could be fixed easyly with original Alpha spareparts. It works quite nice on all bands exept 12m. On 160m the rf choke is a little to small, and gets warm.
In modern Amplifiers it's usually split in 2 chokes ( one for 10-40m /one additinal for 80-160m)

K2BK Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2009 10:58 Send this review to a friend
The very best piece of radio gear I own.  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 77SX was a factory new 77SX, not a converted DX. I bought one of the very last ones made, and it still has the red "Export only" label on the back. I have owned it for ~24 years.

I had it shipped to a friend in Canada, and brought it back through Niagara Falls customs - an 12 hour nightmare in customs - they had to clear the import with the FCC.

I have never had a tiny problem with it, and the QSK is faster than any keyer I can hook up to it.

It is outstanding in all ways. Tuning is broad without "fussiness".

It is worth every penny I paid, and the 1,100 miles I drove to get it.

K2BK

N7WX Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2009 17:07 Send this review to a friend
My Best Alpha  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

Hi...
1st reveiw of my Alpha 77SX, a real Mcoy, not a converted 77DX, Received yesterday and spent a few hours playing with it, forgot u have to push the rite side buttons fast or it shuts off HI..

Truly my best Alpha so far, Had many, My Alpha ETO PA70V with vapor cooled tube was a goodie with no blower noise, After using the 77SX for a few hours was completly at home with it..Well do what u want ..Adjusted the blower down a little bit now just rite.. Still have a very light tick in the blower, well get that out soon..So far great Alpha..

N1JMS Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2009 06:23 Send this review to a friend
Awsome  Time owned: more than 12 months
3.5 to 4kw dead key on all bands. Built like a tank, loafs at legal limit. I'd like to see Alpha bring back a modern version of this amp, until then this one just keeps running stong.

K4MK Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2007 10:32 Send this review to a friend
Wish they still made these !!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
KC5TJT has one less 77SX now, because I bought one of his. It is a great piece of equipment; easy to tune and built to last. I wish Alpha still produced them, but even with a few years on them they are still top-notch. I also have an Alpha 99 that I purchased new, and it works fine, but I like the 77SX better. Maybe its because of the "old-fashioned" meters where you can actually tell what you are doing, instead of the bar graphs. Either way, Alpha is still top quality....if you want a top-of-the-line amplifier, get a 77SX.

KC5TJT Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2007 22:06 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Very well built.. I have had 4 of these.. own 2 now.. 4 KW PEP quiet, fast easy tuning.. VERY EXPENSIVE but worth it.. THANKS ETO..

N6PEQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2004 22:06 Send this review to a friend
Sweet!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Alpha 77Sx is the two tube version of the 77Dx. The 77Sx uses two Eimac 8877 (3CX1500) triodes. The amplifier runs very quiet compared to other HF amplifiers that I have used. It doesn't take much drive to obtain legal limit power output. The amplifier is very large and heavy, and is beautiful to look at! Easy to hook up and tune up.