Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-756PRO Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-756PRO
ICOM IC-756PRO Reviews: 147 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3500
Description: ICOM IC-756Pro Transceiver
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/hf/#IC-756PRO

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-756PRO.

M0HDX Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2016 14:26 Send this review to a friend
A joy to use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I did my first review on the Icom 756pro three years ago and not much as changed since then. Still pulling the weak signals out,nice clear display,superb audio reports on the HM-36 stock microphone and no issues at all with reliability.The early 756pro is a keeper in my book and a joy to use.

K2WH Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2016 17:18 Send this review to a friend
Still Love The Radio and ICOM Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well I purchased my 756pro when they first came out and I loved it especially the big screen, a big step in the right direction. Time passed and I started to notice some things happening that needed attention. I sent the rig to ICOM and unfortunately it came back in essentially the same if not worse condition. So, I rarely used the rig even put it on the shelf.

That was about 5 years ago. Anyway, I recently posted my displeasure with the service and was looking for a different repair service so I could get the rig up and running again.

Well, to my great surprise, ICOM service read my complaint and Mr. Matt Adrian KD8ZB of the ICOM Service Center in Michigan and called me at home and offered to take the rig back and fix it free of charge! I was overwhelmed to say the least. Anyway, I packed it up, sent it there and Matt repaired the rig in only a few days and sent it back to me.

I am listening to it right now, good as new and feels like a new rig. Thanks to Matt at ICOM for service above and beyond.

K2WH

HL1ZIX Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2016 22:43 Send this review to a friend
A better buy used than new low-end radios  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my third HF radio. The first is a used Yaesu FT950, which was a great first radio. I wanted to purchase a 2nd radio for the office, and bought a used Icom 7200, which was a pure headache due to board damage problems. Although that radio is a nicer size, I am far more impressed with this much older Icom 756 Pro, which I purchased for a bit more (return of 7200, plus cash to same shop).

This radio was build around 2000, but appears to have been fixed by Icom in the past few years -- if I am to believe the shipping stickers on the box. It works very well, and even though it's much older, I love some aspects of it more than the newer Yaesu FT-950 I own. The Icom 756 Pro is easier to learn and use, in most cases.

After so many years, and positive reviews, I don't have much else to say except that this radio is an excellent choice -- even in 2016. If you are a newer user who wants a great radio, and you find one in good shape, you'll like this FAR more than a low-end newer offering. The built-in antenna tuner works great (and fast). I hated not having one on the Icom 7200. The audio quality is also far, far superior to the Icom 7200. Not even a contest.

Lastly, although this is a mid-sized radio, like the Yaesu 950, I find the Icom 756 Pro much easier to carry around. The box is far smaller than the Yaesu, and the higher, and slightly less long form-factor makes it much easier to transport, if you ever plan to do so.

I really like this radio. I would have purchased a ProII, but the one I could find was demanding $200 more, and I just didn't have the money. Wasn't worth it, in my case.

WA5UP Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2015 12:28 Send this review to a friend
Hands down best used rig for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned dozens and dozens of different radios in the 15 years since I was licensed (it's a sickness). I've had everything from bargain basement entry level stuff through mid-high end rigs (Pro 3 / Flex / 1000D / etc). For my money I can't think of a better rig than the 756 Pro, as they are going for well under $1K on the used market now. I have also owned the original 756, the Pro 2, and the Pro 3. I would stay away from the original, and the Pro 2 and Pro 3 are great rigs, but I'm not sure that the added cost is worth the improved performance and features (IMO). Here are my pros / cons for the Pro:

Pros:
- Great receiver and excellent filtering "out of the box" with no added options.
- Very functional real-time band scope. Dynamic range is a bit limited, but serves the intended purpose well.
- Extremely easy to setup and operate. Menus are super intuitive and rarely need to be accessed once initial setup is complete. Most commonly adjusted settings have real knobs or buttons on the front panel. Who buries RF power or Mic gain in the Menu? (I'm looking at you Kenwood).
- Easy to interface to third party gear such as amplifiers / sound card interfaces / etc. No weird stuff where signal is only routed to the TX in certain modes etc. (I'm looking at you Yaesu).

Cons (nitpicky):
- CI-V. What's wrong with a regular serial connection?? (unless you're in the business of selling over-priced accessories).
- Would have loved to see a built in PS instead of an external add-on option.

Summary:
I've bought and sold many rigs and every time I change I seem to come back to this one. I've never owned a really high-end rig such as the 7800 / 990 / 9000 / etc, but this rig has more than met my needs for rag chewing and casual contesting. If you have a bag of money burning a hole in your pocket go and buy one of the rigs I just mentioned, but if you want an outstanding radio for a reasonable price pickup a 756 Pro.

W6PMR Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2015 22:29 Send this review to a friend
Still Great !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned this radio now for over ten years and
I still love it. Perfect, no, but darn close!

VE3JSW Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2015 07:08 Send this review to a friend
VE3JSW  Time owned: more than 12 months
Another Icom at the top. This rig is buy far one should consider on their list. I have had nothing but excellent reports and satisfaction with all the features the pro offers
Would I buy another, you bet I would.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2014 20:00 Send this review to a friend
review # 2  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 756 PRO in Tokyo just after they were announced. I hand carried mine back in Business Class and it has been the best radio I have ever owned in 55 years as a ham. It took a lightning strike (as did all the other DISCONNECTED items in my home). It was an easy repair.
It just amuses me to read about the 'old school operators' that muse about not want wanting a TV or FISH FINDER on their radios (mostly old TT fans) but when the TT radios came out with a bandscope, it was now the 'best thing ever'. Such BS. I have several TTs and they feel just like using old Heathkit radios. JUNK!
I love my PRO and it can 'hear' as well as any other radio in my inventory of 150 radios and growing on a daily basis.

If you think you need a 'better' radio, get real......

ron
N4ue

26JLH Rating: 4/5 Dec 28, 2013 15:17 Send this review to a friend
good radio used  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
got this for 500 pounds of a mate of mine nice condition.
sounds a bit better than my yaesu ft450 the atu in the pro is as quite as a mouse reciever is quite to.
i have only had this set for 24 hrs and everyone likes the audio,pitty i can not here it myself.
looks complex radio but its as simple as hell
much more easy than the 450.
i like this radio but its a big heavy monster and not a radio for the traveler you need lots of bottle.
to carry this elephant or some big wheels .. jeff

KC8RTU Rating: 4/5 Nov 6, 2013 07:07 Send this review to a friend
All around nice radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought new all around use just a simple very well thought out like different screens nice audio,traded for 870!

KC7MF Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2013 17:17 Send this review to a friend
You just can't go wrong with this excellent transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am very happy with this radio. I find the receive audio to be excellent. The receiver is sensitive yet quiet. Discrimination wonderful. The DSP works very well.

I consistently get outstanding audio reports and I have done little to tweak the audio.

I find operation very easy and intuitive. The screen is large and easy to read. If you have never used one, the band scope will become your new best friend. What a great convenience.

Some time ago I acquired a TS-590S. Frankly I like the Icom much better. It is easier to use and I believe its transmitter is much stronger or at least more consistent. I sold the TS-590s and kept the older Icom. This is not to say that the TS-590 is not a nice radio. It certainly is. My decision was simply a matter of choice. I think the Icom performs better in most instances.

These radios are still commanding upwards of $1000.00 but for the features and performance they offer I find them to be a bargain. The fact is that to get all of the features of one of these on a new radio you are going to have to pay way more than that. Way more.

I highly recommend this transceiver if you can find a nice one. Mine is not going anywhere.