Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-756PRO Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-756PRO
ICOM IC-756PRO Reviews: 145 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3500
Description: ICOM IC-756Pro Transceiver

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-756PRO.

WA5UP Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2015 12:28 Send this review to a friend
Hands down best used rig for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned dozens and dozens of different radios in the 15 years since I was licensed (it's a sickness). I've had everything from bargain basement entry level stuff through mid-high end rigs (Pro 3 / Flex / 1000D / etc). For my money I can't think of a better rig than the 756 Pro, as they are going for well under $1K on the used market now. I have also owned the original 756, the Pro 2, and the Pro 3. I would stay away from the original, and the Pro 2 and Pro 3 are great rigs, but I'm not sure that the added cost is worth the improved performance and features (IMO). Here are my pros / cons for the Pro:

- Great receiver and excellent filtering "out of the box" with no added options.
- Very functional real-time band scope. Dynamic range is a bit limited, but serves the intended purpose well.
- Extremely easy to setup and operate. Menus are super intuitive and rarely need to be accessed once initial setup is complete. Most commonly adjusted settings have real knobs or buttons on the front panel. Who buries RF power or Mic gain in the Menu? (I'm looking at you Kenwood).
- Easy to interface to third party gear such as amplifiers / sound card interfaces / etc. No weird stuff where signal is only routed to the TX in certain modes etc. (I'm looking at you Yaesu).

Cons (nitpicky):
- CI-V. What's wrong with a regular serial connection?? (unless you're in the business of selling over-priced accessories).
- Would have loved to see a built in PS instead of an external add-on option.

I've bought and sold many rigs and every time I change I seem to come back to this one. I've never owned a really high-end rig such as the 7800 / 990 / 9000 / etc, but this rig has more than met my needs for rag chewing and casual contesting. If you have a bag of money burning a hole in your pocket go and buy one of the rigs I just mentioned, but if you want an outstanding radio for a reasonable price pickup a 756 Pro.
W6PMR Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2015 22:29 Send this review to a friend
Still Great !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned this radio now for over ten years and
I still love it. Perfect, no, but darn close!
VE3JSW Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2015 07:08 Send this review to a friend
VE3JSW  Time owned: more than 12 months
Another Icom at the top. This rig is buy far one should consider on their list. I have had nothing but excellent reports and satisfaction with all the features the pro offers
Would I buy another, you bet I would.
N4UE Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2014 20:00 Send this review to a friend
review # 2  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 756 PRO in Tokyo just after they were announced. I hand carried mine back in Business Class and it has been the best radio I have ever owned in 55 years as a ham. It took a lightning strike (as did all the other DISCONNECTED items in my home). It was an easy repair.
It just amuses me to read about the 'old school operators' that muse about not want wanting a TV or FISH FINDER on their radios (mostly old TT fans) but when the TT radios came out with a bandscope, it was now the 'best thing ever'. Such BS. I have several TTs and they feel just like using old Heathkit radios. JUNK!
I love my PRO and it can 'hear' as well as any other radio in my inventory of 150 radios and growing on a daily basis.

If you think you need a 'better' radio, get real......

26JLH Rating: 4/5 Dec 28, 2013 15:17 Send this review to a friend
good radio used  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
got this for 500 pounds of a mate of mine nice condition.
sounds a bit better than my yaesu ft450 the atu in the pro is as quite as a mouse reciever is quite to.
i have only had this set for 24 hrs and everyone likes the audio,pitty i can not here it myself.
looks complex radio but its as simple as hell
much more easy than the 450.
i like this radio but its a big heavy monster and not a radio for the traveler you need lots of bottle.
to carry this elephant or some big wheels .. jeff
KC8RTU Rating: 4/5 Nov 6, 2013 07:07 Send this review to a friend
All around nice radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought new all around use just a simple very well thought out like different screens nice audio,traded for 870!
KC7MF Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2013 17:17 Send this review to a friend
You just can't go wrong with this excellent transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am very happy with this radio. I find the receive audio to be excellent. The receiver is sensitive yet quiet. Discrimination wonderful. The DSP works very well.

I consistently get outstanding audio reports and I have done little to tweak the audio.

I find operation very easy and intuitive. The screen is large and easy to read. If you have never used one, the band scope will become your new best friend. What a great convenience.

Some time ago I acquired a TS-590S. Frankly I like the Icom much better. It is easier to use and I believe its transmitter is much stronger or at least more consistent. I sold the TS-590s and kept the older Icom. This is not to say that the TS-590 is not a nice radio. It certainly is. My decision was simply a matter of choice. I think the Icom performs better in most instances.

These radios are still commanding upwards of $1000.00 but for the features and performance they offer I find them to be a bargain. The fact is that to get all of the features of one of these on a new radio you are going to have to pay way more than that. Way more.

I highly recommend this transceiver if you can find a nice one. Mine is not going anywhere.
M3-FJU Rating: 3/5 Apr 7, 2013 03:38 Send this review to a friend
over rated  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
well after waiting a long time to try this radio I got one,rushed home to fire it up and wright from the off I was shocked, if you take away all the bells etc you are left with a middle of the road radio, all this about a great rx well to me its nothing special,it works but has a bit lacking,the rx audio is a bit thin,no matter what band width you use,the tx audio I have been told is very clean,the filters are ok again nothing special, if you look at the facts and figures you will find the 756 is a better radio,the 7400 is better and my ts 850 kills it,along with my flex 1500,in my view icom should have spent more time on the rx/tx side instead of putting a silly screen on it, that is to small and lacks any real use, having to turn on pre amps on different bands etc is wrong, in my mind i thought 7400 was a better hf radio than the pro, well il be keeping my 850 and flex and selling this radio, sorry icom il be sticking with kenwood
M0HDX Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2013 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
I brought mine second hand and was delighted when i got it home,Fantastic RX and i have no trouble pulling the weak stations out.The audio reports from my 756pro are always outstanding using the stock HM-36 hand mic and i am often told BBC quality,I tried the heil pr-22 and sold it in the end and stuck with the standard mic.Second hand these are fairly cheap and well worth buying.

jim M0HDX
KJ4SPM Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2012 16:25 Send this review to a friend
Icom IC-756PRO= GREAT $ 1000.00 Rig!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently purchased a very lightly used IC-756PRO. One of the first things I noticed was the low "floor" noise while listening around the bands. I would also like to remark on what an ease this radio is to program. I would highly recommend this make and model rig to anyone in the "$1000 rig" market.