Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-756PRO Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-756PRO
ICOM IC-756PRO Reviews: 143 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3500
Description: ICOM IC-756Pro Transceiver
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/hf/#IC-756PRO

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-756PRO.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2012 06:53 Send this review to a friend
The Best $1000 Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned the Pro2, Pro3, K3, FT-950, etc so you get the idea I like using different rigs. I am not a contester and only work cw. I am lucky in the fact there appear to be no active hams living close to me so I can not attest to strong signal blocking ability. I have never kept a rig more than 6 months but I have decided to keep this one. Knobs and features are laid out perfectly. Once you use a scope it is hard to be without one. Awsome build quality. Antenna tuner is a marvel and tunes better than my LDG Z11Pro. QSK is a joy. The DSP,while not state of the art, works quite well. There is fan noise but it is not offensive. I really beleive that this rig is the best value in the $1k used radio range.

M3DAF Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2012 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Best thing since sliced bread  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had this radio now for 4 weeks now and i must say that it is the best thing since sliced bread,
If you are looking at getting a radio, then i can say get a ic-756-pro you will not be disapointed. a+++++++++++++++++

N0SYA Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2012 11:21 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful rig so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got to spend some time with a pro and would like to comment on it.

In the past I've had many different Icom rigs, from 735 to 765, with stints running 738s and 746s and 746pros, and have had use of many others over the years. However my main rig was a 706, not known for strong signal handling ability or rx audio quality. I also had a Icom R71A rx rig alongside the 706, with the R71 being a bit better in most respects to the 706 as far as rx performance goes. I have a stereo speaker on the floor in use for the hf rigs as believe it or not I try to enjoy program content as well as music over hf - a good speaker brings out the best in a rig. So there's some background on recent ham rig employment at casa del n0sya.

I've been doing some research on the various popularly priced used hf rigs as a replacement for the 706 (the fan is always on and I hate fan noise), and as I have a small stockpile of Icom xtal filters I decided a 756 original would do well, and allow me to put those xtal filters to good use. The 756 also has that lovely screen, and for those who have never had a tv (specan) in their radio, it's a wonderfull thing to have. Why buy a (used) radio that doesn't have a tv in it when you can for the same price as one that does? Then I noticed in reviews of the rig that all original 756 non pro screens seem to fail, and at $400 or so for the replacement screen I decided that was out. 756 originals often sell for $700, so add in the cost of the eventual new screen @ $400 and other options I feel are worthy (tcxo) and you could buy a proiii for as much.

So I next investigated the 756pro series. I saw many pros going for $1100 or so online, with the proii going for 1300 or so, and the proiii going for around 1500. I looked at the qst reviews on each and decided that for the money the proii seemd to offer the best bang for the buck, low dollar and better than a pro. There seems to be much more similarity between the proii and the proiii than the pro and proii - as far as sensitivity, dynamic range, and other criteria. Another issue is am demodulation. I am a ambc and swbc listener aboutr as much as I'm a ham. Diode rectified am is cheap and works, but it's not the best. The software am demod in the pro series is pretty much the best I've used for a non synchro detector. If you feed it a nice sig it produces nice audio. even reminds me of the clarity and range of my old Halli tube rx, with much better highs than my Drake R8, the pro reminds me of a JRC 535 or 545 in audio quality, something I have always been looking for.

What the pro offers standard that was optional or unavailable on the 756 original model is full dsp demodulation, a much more refined and usefull specan, a xtal oven reference oscillator, and a full color screen that seems to be much more reliable and legible than that of the original 756. Again, my heart was set on a proii and as much as I tried, each proii was sold before I could respond to the ad. A pro model became available suddenly and I decided I would look the specs over betwixt the various pros and decide if I could live with a pro rather than a proii. I found that some of the specs of the pro were better than on the proii, such as blocking and even 5KHz toip dynamic range. It also offered less odd order tx distortion at the 5th order point. All in all the pro series is within 5dB or less of each other in each spec. So a simple pro's not too shabby, and decades more advanced than what I had been using to date.

The pro offered me looks like it just came out of the box, and these things have been around since what, 2002? Anyway the pro came home with me and replaced the 706 and R71 on the desk. The learning curve, wich is very intuitive having learned the ways of Icom with various other Icom rigs, is short save for the most cryptic and least often needed adjustments. A freak about stability, I checked u/lsb on 20MHz wwv after many hours of operating and adjusted the carrier through the wonderfully convenient case opening on the side of the rig, and the pro is now within less than a Hertz of wwv. And it stays there.

So far as to performance, I am very impressed. It reminds me of the 765 in performance, but with that stellar tv screen. I have to say that I feel the audio reproduction is outstanding if not spectacular. An aquantance who doesn't share my love for listening to static (or understanding it) immediately noted how much better the pro sounded than the others. High praise indeed. And that screen! You can easily see distortion on signals, watch as those ufos wizz by, even lightning crashes are fascinating. I never thought a tv in a rig could be so usefull, but now I am spoiled and can never look back. All that being said, yes I'd take a proiii if it was within means, but I do not feel cheated being "stuck" with a pro.

W7TNS Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2012 15:53 Send this review to a friend
A full, fun rig you'll like!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
HAve had a "new" 756Pro for about 3 weeks now. At this point, love it! Still have my main rig before, an amateur version of the 746...fun rig still! But had a chance to get this one from a dealer in excellent shape. Now that I have gotten used to the bandscope, I can tell you its hard to see how I was a ham since mid 80's without one! Also, this rig's virtually endless supply of filters makes the bands fun again. Have a D104 with Heil cartridge that gives pretty good audio rpts since i adjusted rig for my voice. Now, for all those people out there who have 7600, 7700, 7800, ft5000, and ft9000's, knock yourself out. But for us ol' semi retired guys, this rig fills the slot fine. If you find one about $1k or 1100, take it...you won't regret it! Enjoy!

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2011 07:18 Send this review to a friend
Still FB Rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
A little over 2 years since I got the radio and submitted the first review, so time for an update. I still have the radio, which for those who know me is an accomplishment in itself. I continue to use it on a daily basis and it is always a treat to operate. I have accomplished WAS, WAS RTTY and DXCC with the radio in the short time I have owned it and it has never let me down. Love the band scope, and the dual watch feature makes it so easy to work the DX on split. I continue to get unsolicited reports on the great audio and I am using only a Behringer Ultravoice XM8500 mic directly into the radio. None of that expensive outboard processing gear needed. Needless to say I am still very impressed with the radio. If you are in the market for an HF radio in the $1K range, this is the one to get. Trust me you will not be disappointed.

N7TWL Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2011 07:53 Send this review to a friend
Best bang for the buck!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using a IC-706MIIG for a base station radio and have been delighted with it. Then a friend loaned me his IC-756Pro to play with at my little bookstore. A big mistake - for him. I had to buy it, and what a sweet radio it is. I am in a rather RF-noisy area, and with all the filters built into this rig, I can now easily sort through the muck and pull out weaker signals. No doubt better radios are on the market, but they cost thousands more than this baby, and I have to wonder if they really return thousands worth in performance.

I highly recommend to any starting ham on a budget to by-pass the $400-$700 used radio market, save just a few more dollars and find one of these. It provides the performance of costlier radios at a small portion of the price, and it out-performs those older radios on eBay. I would have saved myself several hundreds of dollars if I had started with this radio.

K2JF Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2011 14:27 Send this review to a friend
traded to get it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I owned the Pro III and sold it to save money. Then I bought a Yaesu FT 950 and as a CW op I did not like the QSK - way too noisy so never could use it. I also missed the band scope. So I traded my FT 950 straight up for a 756 Pro and what a delight. The differences between the two rigs for me is of course the QSK - much better than on the FT 950. Hardly hear any relays clattering away. And the other thing kind of surprised me: seems like a much quieter receiver. I depend on the band scope to cruise the bands and the NR seems to work just fine. Love it all.

AC4X Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2011 15:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've owned the ICOM IC-756PRO for a while now and have to say it is a dream to operate. Couldn't be happier. The menus keep the controls uncluttered and easy to use.

KK2DOG Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2010 22:35 Send this review to a friend
Mighty Fine Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent radio!

K4MSG Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2009 19:51 Send this review to a friend
Everything I need!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this radio early in 2009 to upgrade my HF capability beyond my venerable & reliable IC-706MkIIG. I have been extremely pleased with the performance and features and would buy a Pro II or Pro III in a heartbeat if a great deal came my way. I operate mostly CW traffic nets, with some casual CW DXing and only occasionally a contest of some sort like the VA QSO Party (VAQP). The 756PRO has handled my needs in exemplary fashion.

Controls are well-placed, the functions are reasonably intuitive, and the manual is well-written if you forget or get confused. I've gotten kind of spoiled by the 756PRO "human interface" after several years of the 706's nested menus, HI! The built-in antenna tuner works fine with my antennas (simple wires) and is very fast and quiet.

For CW traffic work I especially like the band scope since it helps me (as net control station) to see where the "holes" are when I need to send someone off frequency to pass traffic. While the full break-in CW works fine, I really prefer the "sound" of the semi break-in with the delay set to minimum; I find it nearly as fast as full break-in but without the annoying (to me) noise bursts. BTW, I use a bug so haven't tried the keyer capability.

For 40m DXing using a 5-band trap dipole at 25' I've picked up around 50 new countries and have almost completed my 40m DXCC. I'm able to work the pileups about as effectively as can be done with 100w and a simple wire antenna.

In the VAQP for 2009 I was 3rd-highest in the low-power CW category and it was my first VAQP since 2001.

A word about pricing: I paid around $1200 for mine from Larry, W8CCY, in MI (a really fine gentleman!). It was in absolutely mint condition, a tribute to Larry's respect for fine equipment. If you can find one for that price in like condition you won't be disappointed!